Play Pac - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #113

Name: Camilla
Trailer: 73 Playpac
Kentucky
Hatch door? What hatch door? What do you need? Will your cassette be accessed from the exterior? You have a brand and model I can look up?

PM me your email and I'll send pics. You probably already have them though.

I still want a two or three way fridge...

You know the Shasta compacts have the same layout as our Playpacs but have much more storage areas. If you do a google search on Shasta Compact then click on the images tab you'll find lots of pics. Their fridge is larger and located to the left of the sink up high so most of the fridge is actually in the bathroom but up high enough and to the rear so the room is still usable. Check it out.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #114

Name: Paul
Trailer: Vixen Motor Coach
California
Registry
The hatch door is the whole reason i got it! you are right - it allows for access from the exterior. no more dragging the potty through the PP - i can take the waste container out from the outside, dump it, hose it down whatever, then shove it right back in and be done with it. of course, they conveniently sell the hatch door separately - and its not cheap, but still, since i got such a great deal i am happy about it.

my co-wokrer just bought used shasta with the exact kitchen layout you described. i like reaching up to the fridge not down, but i will say - the cool thing about the placement in our Play Pacs is that i can reach in to the icebox from outside when the door is open w/o actually going inside. we do that a lot on trips. PM sent!

and Paul - PM me your email and i'll send you a bunch of shots of my work, projects, etc.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #115

Trailer: Play Pac Hitch Hut
Tennessee
work

Today I trimmed out a window and caulked everything for paint. I installed a towel ring , double bath towel bar, curved shower curtain rod, and waited for the electrical inspector for an apartment I finished wired. (electrician, somewhat retired )
Unfortunately none of this on the PP. Paul, I did receive your pix, very informative. From the dome back it appears that your roof is somewhat trayed. Did this result from the boards installed for the roof sag or is it supposed to be there? my ports potty is a Penta Potty sold by sears. It has a handle for carrying to empty and the aforementioned waste connection that goes through the floor. Not as fancy as a cassette but will do for now. It was made by Thetford. I am trying to retrain my roof by propping it up a little at a time so it doesn't crack. When i get it somewhat straight I will repair it. I have a couple of inches to go. paul w
Old 08-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #116

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul west View Post
. I am trying to retrain my roof by propping it up a little at a time so it doesn't crack. When i get it somewhat straight I will repair it. I have a couple of inches to go. paul w
Paul, I am getting both Paul's all mixed up now. Did I send you a pic of my roof? The fiberglass was so thin up there they could just pop their fingers right thru it. There was no sign anything had been done to it so it came that way. Have you removed your ensolite from the ceiling to see what you have? It may be way, way thin like mine was.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #117

Tennessee
PP roof

I have not removed the ensolite yet. i am trying to get the roof back int its original position first. It is sagged pretty bad. The sag seems to center around the roof vent. It may have been leaking. This is biggest job on thia Pp
Paul w
Old 08-02-2012, 07:54 AM   #118

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
.... my ports potty is a Penta Potty sold by sears. It has a handle for carrying to empty and the aforementioned waste connection that goes through the floor. Not as fancy as a cassette but will do for now. It was made by Thetford paul w
Do you--or does anyone--know of a similar setup with a porta potti with a waste hose option? We have a 13' Boler and our summer project is to remove the front bench and install a small 2-person dinette with a potti under the bench closest to the door.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #119

Kentucky
Quote:
I have not removed the ensolite yet. i am trying to get the roof back int its original position first. It is sagged pretty bad. The sag seems to center around the roof vent. It may have been leaking. This is biggest job on thia Pp
Paul w
Paul, mine had a sag that was really deep -six inches down or more. If you would like I can get you the phone number of the place that fixed it and you can talk to the guy and see what he did to prop mine up.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #120

Tennessee
roof sag

Camilla you did send the number for the people who repaired your roof.
I have not had time to call them to find out what they did.
There was a post about my porta potty that has a waste dump valve as well as the carry tank. I have not seen another like it.
i don't think it would be to hard to put a valve in a portable toilet. Makes me want to experiment. My porta potty was made in the seventies by Thetford and marketed by Sears. They actually still have a very few parts for them on their web site.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #121

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
...There was a post about my porta potty that has a waste dump valve as well as the carry tank. I have not seen another like it. i don't think it would be to hard to put a valve in a portable toilet. Makes me want to experiment. My porta potty was made in the seventies by Thetford and marketed by Sears. They actually still have a very few parts for them on their web site.
Thank you, Paul. If my father were still alive I'd have him build one but guess for now I'd stick with the regular Thetford porta potty.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #122

California
Registry
Hey Paul,
The ceilings/roofs in both of my Play Pacs were both trayed - a raised ridge that ran front to back about the width of the dome window. this was from the factory and part of the glass mould. since both you and Camilla have asked about, that I am guessing that maybe there are others with just a flat roof/ceiling all the way across? if so, perhaps it was a later model trying to address the potential for roof sag? just a guess there.

as for the porta - i am very intrigued by that as i might have gone that route had known such a thing existed! would love to see pix if you get a chance. BTW - my cassette is also Thetford. they seem to know their stuff. good luck with that roof ... i'm telling you, once you get out there and actually camp in this thing, it will ALL have been worth it! they are blast when in 'camp' mode and not in 'reno' mode!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #123

Tennessee
Odd Potty

Paul,
Here are some pix of the porta potty in all of its 1970's harvest gold.
You can see it was manufactured like this. I don't know why they don't still make it. The dump valve has the Thetford name and model number. I don't see that it would be hard to duplicate on a modern model. I worked on the tow vehicle today replacing the pickup coil, ignition coil, and the spark control module. Fun. The distributor had to be removed to replace the pickup coil. All Done. Old PP, old tug! Appropriate.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC07777.jpg   DSC07779.jpg  

DSC07781.jpg   DSC07782.jpg  

Old 08-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #124

Tennessee
picture explanation

The first pix is the original Hitch Hut logo just to the front of the door. The picture of the floor with the hole in it is the sad bathroom floor where the portapotty sits. Needs replacing. I had not moved the porta potty before.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #125

California
Registry
Suh-weet! With a porta potty like that and the swank woodwork (peel and stick i take it?!) - how could they call it anything other than a "The Hitch Hut?"

you wouldn't be single long at any campground with the set up in the 70s! thats actually pretty clever but i would think to keep a good seal and water out ... it wouldn't want to be moved much and periodic cleaning of the waste tank might be a little tough? or maybe it just pops right out and is (was) nicely pressure sealed?

still more proof that no two of these were built alike! great work on the house and car by the way!
Old 08-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #126

Tennessee
Potty

I guess I could have taken about 2 seconds more to take a couple of extra pix. This was mounted on a rubber seal visible in the bathroom ****. It just sits on the rubber ring. It has a handle for carrying and the screw off ports for dumping and cleaning like every other porta potti known to man. it does have a top mount port for adding flush water. Holds 7 gallons total both tanks. How much demand would you think there would be for modified porta potties. It would be so easy to do. To install would only entail using a hole cutter for about two minutes.

Tags
play–pac