Play Pac - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: Play Pac
North Carolina
Play Pac

I recently purchased a Play Pac Hitch Hut. (Year Unknown) The interior has been completely stripped. I will begin renovation soon. If anyone has any advice please share.

Also I know very little about this travel trailer, except that it is a rare beauty and I am now apart of an elite groups of camper owners. If anyone has any information concerning this camper including actual value please share.
Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Lightbulb The Inventor of Play Pac is a member here

Welcome!

You may want to read http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...pac-35590.html
Old 08-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #3

North Carolina
Thanks. That was quit interesting.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle View Post
Also I know very little about this travel trailer, except that it is a rare beauty and I am now apart of an elite groups of camper owners.
Just owning molded fiberglass, puts you into a elite group of owners... just ask us!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #5

North Carolina
Wow, that's funny. Can anyone give advice about interior wall coverings and replacing them?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #6

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Wow, that's funny. Can anyone give advice about interior wall coverings and replacing them?
hi Riddle,

first of all - welcome and congratulations fellow Play Pac(er)!
there aren't many of us ... and to have someone else show up helps our little group since your Play Pac may help reveal new secrets!

unfortunately, i cant address your particular question regarding original wall coverings as ours had some serious renovation. however, i can tell you a little about what ours went through. the previous, previous owners did some crazy stuff in ours, so the previous owner covered the interior (minus windows and the bathroom) with 1 1/2" think polyfoam insulation. they then covered the entire insulated surface with craft paper dipped in glue - paper mache so to speak. they covered that with a few coats of nice paint and viola - we have an amazingly cozy interior that is relatively easy to maintain. we slept on Sonoma Beach recently next to a big brand new 22' stickie travel trailer - and they had it completely buttoned up with the heater on - we had our front window and vent open all night and slept like babies! i cant say enough how important good insulation is. we plan to add some trim work to tie it all together but thats our Play Pac in a nutshell.

i understand original Play Pacs came with ensolite and i can see a peek of it in our kitchen cabinet. but i cant offer any advice. i do know Meghan and Jim (two other active Play Pac owners here) have done some great work to restore their Play Pacs which are largely all original. perhaps they will chime at some point?

equally as important, there is a wealth of experience and creativity here among the good folks on this forum. since we are so 'lucky' to be in the dozen or so club ... we are also limited to Play Pac-centric repair and renovation info. fiberglass rigs for the most part, all share so many characteristics so do not be put off by the lack of specific info. things like electric, solar, glass repair, towing, leaks, etc ... everyone here deals with it and you may find the tip that helps you from a Scamp or Compact owner - so be sure to check out what everyone else is doing.

also, i would go the home page, click on Play Pac in the list of fiberglass eggs, and then systematically go through each thread that shows up below. i was able to learn a lot about these before ever posting a single question.

finally, please post some photos - everyone loves photos and some of the seasoned pros here might see something in your rig and be able to help out or save you a lot of time. welcome aboard!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #7

North Carolina
Thanks for the advice Paul. I will do my best to get photos soon. I was planning on putting up 1 inch foam as insulation then covering that with a white board bubble design panel. The panel is quite flexible and very stable. My only concern is it may be to heavy for the foam insulation. I will use gel contact cement as my adhesive. All these materials can be purchased at Lowes.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #8

North Carolina
I think I am going to use peel and stick tiles for the floor covering. What do you guys think?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
I think I am going to use peel and stick tiles for the floor covering. What do you guys think?
hey Riddle,
sounds good - you will indeed want to make sure that insulation stays put. we have a few spots where i can see some de-lamination of insulation from original ceiling and plan to do a little surgery to get some liquid nails in there and set it straight for the duration! i used liquid nails when i replaced the headliner in my old U Haul and just after one day, i could barely tear it off with all my weight. if you get going before i do, let me know how the gel contact cement does.

our P.O. (Steve) did just that with the peel and stick tiles. he did a great job and even covered the table and counter top (if you start looking at old Play Pac threads you are sure to see the interior of mine and what a nice job he did). looks really smart and is very easy to clean up. just be sure again, you use some kind of adhesive if you live in a hot area. we were parked in Redwood National Park - right in the sun and in a few hours it got so hot that some of the tiles began to buckle under the heat.

good luck getting started - you will have a blast. and yeah, looking forward to seeing some photos of your rig when you have a minute!
Old 08-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #10

North Carolina
Pictures

Before the Restoration
Attached Thumbnails
P8242417.jpg   P8242418.jpg  

P8242419.jpg   P8242420.jpg  

P8242422.jpg   P8242423.jpg  

P8242424.jpg   P8242426.jpg  

P8242427.jpg   P8242428.jpg  

Old 08-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Before the Restoration
sweeeet! that is a good looking 'Hull' from what the photos suggest. the algae will be gone with one blast of the pressure washer and it will shine. interior will obviously take some work an creativity, but its your canvas.

looks like you had the Super PlayPac - at least from the photos i can see a peek of a faucet which the standard did not have (just the hand pump). of course it could have installed after market too. the Super PP had the full wet bath but i cant see that there was a 'garage door' on the rear below the tail lights (it was a sealed, hinged, pre-cut door that gave you access to the rear storage under the seats - but from the outside) so perhaps it is just a standard.

either way - looks like you still have some semblance of the kitchen and the vents. how is the electrical system? mine has been modified quite a bit so i dont know how much the state of my Play Pac will add up to yours but if you have any questions or need photos for reference, please dont hesitate to ask.

you probably already found this too - the Play Pac Manual. it is rather brief, but has some useful info as well: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - PlayPac
Old 08-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #12

North Carolina
There is no "garage door," as you say. There is no electrical work as of this moment. I hadnt seen the manual thanks for posting it. I would appreciate photos, especially up close photos of the interior seams after restoration. I am curious to know how your side walls and ceiling come together. Thanks. Oh yeah there is a sink with faucet and range top.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #13

Jason, if I had a flat walled trailer and was looking to replace the insulation, etc. I'd seriously look at Andrews topic: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-46674.html

YMMV
Old 08-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D.
Jason, if I had a flat walled trailer and was looking to replace the insulation, etc. I'd seriously look at Andrews topic: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-46674.html

YMMV
Those look pretty heavy?
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilla View Post
Those look pretty heavy?
You'll have to check with Andrew...
Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #16

Registry
sorry Jason - i am dealing with some personal things right now and wont be around for a bit. PM with your email and i will send photos of our interior to perhaps give you some ideas.