Please Recommend a Wifi Booster - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #43
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
i wasn't very clear, thanks to my not knowing how stuff works. Sorry! I have only two communication devices -- an iPhone 6 and an iPad Mini. My network is AT&T. The iPad hotspots with the iPhone. I want to communicate while traveling, since I'm solo and have no other home. If an RV park advertises free wifi but it is too weak to use, I don't think I'm stealing anything if I strengthen the signal, if that's what I would be doing. Most of the time I'm using up data since there IS no wifi. In that case I need what? An antenna? Which one? I did look at rvsue's setup, but it seemed pretty complicated. Sigh. Is it too much to ask for something that's under $100, easy to install, and works?
Wendy, I'm amazed at how off-topic most of the replies are here. Geez...

With the combo you have, the iPhone 6 and an iPad, my suggestion would be to get a wireless plan for your iPhone that has 15gb of data... and just use the wireless hotspot when your wifi signal isn't sufficient. I use an iPhone 6 and iPad 3 much of the time I'm out, but I also got frustrated with being just out of reach of campground wifi while still in the campground. Wifi and showers are the two main reasons I go to campgrounds, actually, so I wanted to improve my wifi signal while I was parked if I could.

This summer I put together a repeater... a $23 access point box from Amazon, a $35 C.Crane antenna and appropriate cable, (and N to SMA adapter) but you need a PC that can access the box software, and you need to be able to configure the IP of your computer, and then search for the router you want to repeat. it's not complex but does require some basic network admin knowledge. No repeaters that I'm aware of are plug-n-play boxes that don't require at least some configuration.

I'd really suggest a bigger data plan and using your secure hotspot. BTW, connecting your ipad to your iphone by bluetooth works really well.

If anyone else is contemplating building an inexpensive repeater, here are the components I used for mine:

High-Gain 8dBi 2.4GHz Outdoor WiFi Antenna > Antennas > WiFi Antennas | C. Crane

you need a cable with "n" connectors on both ends, and an "n" to SMA adapter to attach the cable to your repeater C2G / Cables To Go 42219 RP-SMA Male to N-Female Wi-Fi Adapter: Electronics

The repeater is configurable by connecting your laptop using a cat-5 cable to the RJ45 port, setting your laptop's IP address to, and then accessing the repeater at That will get you the configuration software, set the box up as a repeater rather than a bridge or access point, and will then allow you to search for access points "out there." Once you find the access point you want to use, enter it's encryption key, unplug your laptop and you have full signal in your trailer. The configuration process has to be done each time you switch access points.

I specifically wrote this in "tech" as if you don't readily understand what I wrote, you'll likely need to do some studying before you'll be able to do this. If you understand the paragraph above, you should have no issues at all.

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:11 PM   #44
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post

I'd really suggest a bigger data plan and using your secure hotspot. BTW, connecting your ipad to your iphone by bluetooth works really well.
That btw is probable the safer way to do your banking & email if you are not using a PVN. Particularly if you USB tether it.

Personally not big on doing my banking over the internet & would never consider it on a shared public network.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote