Poll for fun: Do you wear gloves when dumping holding tanks? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Not sure , but maybe these gloves would make the unsavory job more glamorous?...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:09 AM   #22
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
If you ever seen the movie RV with Robin Williams gloves would not of helped a bit
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
If you ever seen the movie RV with Robin Williams gloves would not of helped a bit
He needed a full body suit! Pretty hilarious.
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #24

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Nope, but I'm sure most of us can assume we'll never experience anything like that

When I first dumped my tank, I had a leaky black water blade valve (the old LBWBV) and a really, really crappy tube. There was definitely a mess. I've since installed a new black and grey water drain unit with new valves, and bought a Rhinoflex tube. It's really pretty darn clean now. Except for getting the water pressure right from the cleaning hose at dump stations...I really hate when I turn it on and the water comes out at full blast and sprays back at me from my tube! Yuck. That's as close to the RV movie scene I'll ever get.

I have to say...a coworker recommended that movie when I quit my job and started traveling/living in my first motorhome. I thought it was a pretty bad movie...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #25

Name: Amy
Trailer: BigFoot
Alberta
Lots of people comment that I don't have gloves to dump. But I just have a grey tank.

I guess if it was clean enough to wash my dishes in I feel like washing my hands after is enough.

We have a cartridge toilet and as I boondock a lot it eliminates pulling out to dump and I can stay longer than most. Now to dump that I use gloves. I hate dumping that thing. It's is So nasty
www.directuganda.com
Mountain Moma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:06 PM   #26
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
I am a nurse, and yes I use gloves. It's just a habit! Even though we only use the bathroom for #1, gloves still go on at the dump station.
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #27

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
I always wear gloves because everything at the dump has the potential to be cantaminated and putting on a pair of gloves is a lot better than getting sick for a few days.
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #28

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Here is George Carlin's thoughts on germs
Old 07-15-2017, 01:48 PM   #29

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I wear gloves when it's cold , taking stuff out of the oven
and welding .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #30

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I wear gloves when it's cold , taking stuff out of the oven
and welding .

Yeah me to. I have never felt the need to wear gloves when dumping our cassette. I have never had any splash or leaks. I do wash my hands afterward.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:01 PM   #31

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Not sure , but maybe these gloves would make the unsavory job more glamorous?...
Well, Floyd, you always have something funny at hand. I have blue gloves, but I clicked on "Yes, but seldom." button in the survey. More than once I wore my gloves, more to keep my hands from freezing during some of our spring trips, then for protection. They are heavy rubber, x-large and lined and I always rinse them before putting them away. Same with my hands (those I put in my pockets to warm up).

More than once I actually hosed off a dump station before even starting my own procedure. As far as I am concerned, my Scamp facility is a heck of a cleaner and more sterile than a public one (consider an international airport?), it is only our stuff and we don't carry a disease (AFAIK).

We let a small amount of clean water in the tank and it rinses itself while we travel.

Those plastic booties sound interesting, but I would hate to trip wearing them and touch the ground with anything but the soles of my shoes...
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:31 PM   #32

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
We all carry disease, and all food carries potentially harmful bacteria. You better believe your poop carries harmful stuff! It's the concentrations which matter. I see sewage as being pretty concentrated

I personally don't want that stuff on my hands, but I can see that washing afterwards is completely adequate. What I don't see is how you get to a sink without touching things. But I'm sure people have their own system, whether it involves having someone else open the door, having hand sanitizer already out and at hand, etc.

But this seems like one of those things where most people do it how they do it and have their minds made up. I know if you told me that my poop was completely sanitary, I would still wear gloves.

Some of it does just come down to how comfortable you are with this kind of stuff. We know that work surfaces (your desk, keyboard etc) and countertops in stores, at hotels etc. all have E.coli on them. Which more or less means they have poop on them. And we aren't all dropping left and right with sickness.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #33

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Elite2 View Post
Do you wear gloves when dumping holding tanks?
"... This week’s Reader Poll

Please let us know. After you click your response, you’ll see how others have responded. Feel free to leave a comment. We’ll post the final results in next week’s newsletter. CLICK HERE ..."

Do you wear gloves when dumping holding tanks? – RV Travel
:gloves are real cheap to buy at Harbour Freight.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #34

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I checked Harbor Freight for large rubber gloves and could only find them in X large. I checked Amazon and found them in XX Large and that sure makes a difference in putting them on and taking them off. The are Genuine Joe brand and you can get them in nitrile or latex. They come 100 to a box. I cleaned out a 40 ounce plastic peanut butter jar and fill it full of gloves.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #35

Name: OnTheRoadAgain
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
DH doesn't like wearing gloves but I insist. They are sweaty for sure and inconvenient to put on. Good to know they have extra, extra large sizes.

| 2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II | 2016 Toyota Tundra |
Oliver_Elite2 is offline   Reply With Quote