Poll for fun: Do you wear gloves when dumping holding tanks? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2017, 04:06 AM   #1

Name: OnTheRoadAgain
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Poll for fun: Do you wear gloves when dumping holding tanks?

Do you wear gloves when dumping holding tanks?
"... This week’s Reader Poll

Please let us know. After you click your response, you’ll see how others have responded. Feel free to leave a comment. We’ll post the final results in next week’s newsletter. CLICK HERE ..."

Do you wear gloves when dumping holding tanks? – RV Travel

| 2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II | 2016 Toyota Tundra |
Oliver_Elite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:11 AM   #2

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
Yes I do - got a big box of nitrile fairly loose fitting gloves from Harbor Freight for a few bucks - will last me for the rest of my life it looks like since we only dump tanks every 2 weeks or so when camping or when we are returning home. Then we have those baby wipes or kitchen wipes we keep in the truck for afterwards or when there are small messes to clean up along the way for other reasons. All I can say is dumping is part of the process if you are going to have a self-contained camper and use it - don't fear the stinky slinky -- MMMM....mmmmm... Finger lickin' good... =)
Old 07-15-2017, 05:42 AM   #3

Tennessee
Yep. Imagine someone who doesn't use gloves then touches surfaces their family have contact with. Eeee Oooo....

The disposable gloves are cheap as you say. Love the wipes for a variety of uses. Just bag them up in a plastic grocery bag and put them in the larger bag people use as their last garbage to throw in the dumpster.

We just bought 2 sections of Gorilla stinky slinkies 15ft a piece. Big improvement. No more poop pockets as they become semi-rigid and much easier to get the last bit of drain liquid out. Also have a clear window. Once you get used to the Happy Camper brown liquid gives you a real sense of satisfaction.

One use of wipes are good for wiping our fannies. Bag them up and dispose of them in garbage bags. Saves room in the black water tank. Generally we use the camp toilets for the non-emergency dumps I know too much information for some people.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:22 AM   #4

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
I don't use gloves. I do rinse my hands at the dump station and sometimes wash with soap. Growing up, my mother had a butcher block that we now know harbored germs like mad. Then again, how many do you see with gloves on, but are wearing sandals, splashing on their feet?

Obviously, I don't go with the sterilize everything mentality we have today. TETO!

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:40 AM   #5

Tennessee
You probably grew up with a strong immune system then being exposed to everything. Innoculated HA!

Perry, you have a point for sure on wearing sandals and gloves funny. Be careful we don't step in doo doo water for sure. Dump neatly and let the puppy drain properly before putting away.

Something I forbid my DH dumper is to take my Glass Plus (with ammonia) away and my paper towels. Always the last thing loaded. Dirty paper towels the last thing stuff in the plastic garbage sack the last step before walking it up to the dumpster.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #6

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I'm always amazed by people who don't wear gloves. I'm no germaphobe. We're working with sewage and things that convey sewage which are never cleaned, only rinsed off. Butcher blocks get cleaned with soap. Raw food doesn't compare to raw sewage, I hope...

My feet typically don't touch my face and mouth, or the door handle in a store that hundreds of other people touch after me. It's not a matter of putting on a rubber suit so no sewage contacts my body. It's a matter of my hands, which touch my eyes, mouth, and things that other people touch with their hands.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:50 AM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
I only wear the gloves when connecting, disconnecting or rinsing the sewer hose. Sometimes not even then, as I like to wash my hands once I've broken camp.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:51 AM   #8

Tennessee
DH doesn't appreciate me fussing wanting him to wear gloves. Too bad so sad wear them anyway. He seems to want to be the manager of dumping. Doesn't want a supervisor. Is that a man thing? But then I don't want his advice decorating the inside of the Oliver either.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I don't touch the effluent from the black water tank, but I do wash the hose and my hands when done, also have hand sanitizer.
Does anyone here wear gloves when going to the toilet, especially in a public restroom?
Imagine... every campsite was once occupied by someone who picked up after their pets and left the urine and the fecal residue, not to mention all those midnight trips to admire the stars.

Do you wear gloves when cleaning the bird crap off the picnic table, or just cover it with a disposable cloth? What about the benches?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
... Then again, how many do you see with gloves on, but are wearing sandals, splashing on their feet?..y
Yup.. that is why I don't only use gloves, but also disposable shoe covers. I bought a 100 of them on Amazon so if you see me at the dump station and want a pair, just ask

But the shoe covers don't work so well. They don't stay on half the time. And even the gloves tend to tear at some point in the process sometimes.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:04 AM   #11

Tennessee
Good point on the public restroom. After I wash my hands I do a one finger pull on the bathroom door. And momma taught us to stand up and pee and even poop. Also carry the santi-liquid stuff. Getting ole no sense tempting fate catching something.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:06 AM   #12

Tennessee
That's a point on the shoe covering. Should we suit up in an operating gown too? Best bet is we take our time and make sure everything is drained well and doesn't drip out of the slinky once detached. Only the slinky and the rinse hose goes in the bumper not to contaminate anything else.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #13

Tennessee
I glanced to the right and saw this:
Dump Station Etiquette Every RVer Should Know
How To Empty RV Waste Tanks At A Dump Station

We haven't had the "pleasure" of using a dump station.
Not looking forward to it either. Absolute last resort.
I still picture the RV movie w/ Robin Williams.

Our Oliver can't use a ole fashioned wand style to feed through a bathroom window. The screen doesn't open and gee whiz dragging a poop hose inside not exactly a pleasant thought. We will stick to a full hookup even tho that limits us some where we can camp.

Anyone followed someone who was a nasty dumper at a station? Eee ooo. Caw caw.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #14

Montana
I've only ever used dump stations, since I never go to actual campgrounds.

It's a good topic to really think about. Is hooking a hose which transports raw sewage to a sewage outlet less sanitary than a restroom? I guess it depends on the restroom.

I think if I were cleaning toilets in a public restroom I'd wear gloves. But that is truly a personal preference.

I think my take is "do what you want", so long as you don't touch anything public before washing your hands. And as long as you don't mind seeing a bewildered look on the face the of guy waiting in line behind you when he sees you grab that stuff with your bare hands (assuming that guy is me ).

Or worse yet, if you use leather gloves. Now that's gross, because not only are you reusing the same gloves over and over, they absorb the liquid, and people then think that because they wore gloves, they don't need to wash their hands...so it ends up being less sanitary than using bare hands then washing them.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #15

Tennessee
Did anyone do the poll?

When I did about 40% people use gloves.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #16

Tennessee
I use Glass Plus and paper towels and don't touch the bird poop. Making sure the poop stays on the folded side away from my hand. After the picnic table and benches dry I use vinyl thick table cloth and bench covers held on with the slider clips at each end and the middle. Taking off said coverings I use the Glass Plus and towels. That is why I guard my Glass Plus bottle and paper towel roll and dare the DH to touch either one!

Old 07-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #17

Montana
I forgot now what it was...I remember seeing that 17% never used gloves, which surprised me.

I'm not so strict about other things. Some random animal poop out in the environment doesn't bother me. How many people let their dog lick their face? We all come into contact with some stuff throughout the day. It's the concentrated stuff coming out of a sewage holding tank that I worry about.

I have a cast iron skillet which has never seen soap.

But a tank that holds nothing but poop and pee and some water in a confined area? I don't want that on my hands. When done correctly using well functioning equipment, it can be pretty sanitary. All the same...I'm going to wear disposable gloves.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #18

Tennessee
Here is a companion link to the other one.

Avoid a Mess: Empty Your Waste Tanks Cleanly and Easily
Avoid a Mess: Empty Your Waste Tanks Cleanly and Easily - RV Life

Old 07-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #19

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Elite2 View Post
That's a point on the shoe covering. Should we suit up in an operating gown too?..
I have seen dump stations where you very well might want to do that... over flowing, flooded, etc. So bad that the little shoe covers and gloved don't really make any difference. Others are so well maintained that I don't feel the need for even gloves. Just a hand wash afterwards.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:08 AM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Elite2 View Post
Good point on the public restroom. After I wash my hands I do a one finger pull on the bathroom door. And momma taught us to stand up and pee and even poop. Also carry the santi-liquid stuff. Getting ole no sense tempting fate catching something.
Getting old means if you tempt fate,you've got less to lose!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote