Poll - How Safe is Trailering? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

View Poll Results: Which have you experienced while towing/camping? (check ALL that apply!)
Accident 3 2.21%
Unhitched Unintentionally 19 13.97%
Blowout 41 30.15%
Fire 3 2.21%
Explosion 0 0%
Other Mechanical issue 31 22.79%
Theft or Robbery 5 3.68%
Vandalism 5 3.68%
Wild Animal Encounter 9 6.62%
Alien Abduction 7 5.15%
Stuck, Mired or High Centered 9 6.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #29
Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I guess I am the only person who admits to having a fire, which I talked about in this thread.
Now there are two. My fire was related to one of PeterH's experiences. I damaged the cable between the 7 pin plug and trailer (might have been vandalism). The plug was not in great shape so I bought a new one and for a variety of reasons, different plug design and senior moments , wired the plug upside down. When I plugged it in to test it the blinkers were reversed as in PeterH's experience.

Then I smelled smoke . I had a fire in the battery box. Wife holding cat running from trailer - did I mention it was raining? - smoke pouring from battery box. I grabbed a halon extinguisher and doused the fire.

The reversed polarity had caused a major short and some lighter gauge wire on both sides of the battery had literally melted. Another trip into town, new wire (#10), an inline fuse, a rewired 7 pin connector and an hour or so later we were on the road. Luckily, there were no loads on the system and no damage to anything in the trailer. Almost a year later and 4 months of full-timing in the trailer and the same battery is still fine!

Tom - '79 Fiber Stream

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #30
Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Staying home

NOT for me
I'll take my chances on and off the road

Oh, forgot to add.
One year, when going moose hunting, we got hanged up a little when trying to negotiate a washout. 3 guys, 1 shovel, 3-4 hours digging out in the middle of nowhere...
Attached Thumbnails
Img_20071004_044245.jpg   Img_20071004_044506.jpg  

Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #31
Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
Staying home

NOT for me
I'll take my chances on and off the road

Oh, forgot to add.
One year, when going moose hunting, we got hanged up a little when trying to negotiate a washout. 3 guys, 1 shovel, 3-4 hours digging out in the middle of nowhere...
And I bet the moose was laughing his a*s off.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #32
Name: Herb
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Three blowouts in two days on a stickbuilt.

Wheel bearings failed on I-17 in Phoenix

A couple of plumbing failures.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #33
Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Drove to Arizona and back and while putting the cover over the trailer noticed the inside of both front tires had worn to the steel belts. Cause was a bent axle. They could have blown out anywhere at any time.

Tried using the generator while the TV was hooked to the trailer and running. Wife smelt smoke. I asked what from?? Then a few sparks from the trailer fuse box. Blew a breaker and a few fuses but once replaced everything seemed to run okay. Still not exactly sure why that would occur.

Had my share of blow outs, power weaves, just missed deer. stuck in the mud, stuck in the snow and a flat on the TV and could not get the lug nuts off. Required AAA for that one. The AAA guy was a war vet and had had both legs below the knees taken off by a land mine in Afganistan. I don't feel too bad about too much after hearing his story!
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #34
Name: Roland
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 13ft
Possible crushed foot.

On a previous trailer, I unhitched but being in a hurry I had not noticed that the tongue jack did not snap completely into its upright locking position... soon after getting the full weight of the trailer on the jack it collapsed with the tongue just missing my feet! What a great learning experience.
Roland H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #35
Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Cool flat tire in Kingman, AZ

The only problem I have had with Homelet is a flat tire in the morning in Kingman, AZ with no Les Schwab within 100 miles. I pumped up the tire with my little handy (car) battery powered compressor, drove the 14 miles to Kingman and a Walmart and had it fixed. It was a nail.

After I voted I remembered that I did have an unintentional unhitching crossing some railroad tracks in the city. Luckily I was going slowly. This was with my sailboat trailer. The problem was I had towed the utility trailer a couple of days before and forgot to change the ball from 1 7/8" to 2". Luckily the chain held and I only had a dented tailgate on the Cherokee.
A charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #36
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
First trip with Life Support:
Almost lost a wheel

Aluminum wheels, steel lugs, insufficient torque.

Door flew open too, several times.

Wild life was a concern as well on that trip.

Going to Green Point
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #37
Name: Jo
Trailer: have ordered Casita SD 17
A couple of years ago, we took a trip followng the coast around Spain. When we reached the southern Andalucia region, we were driving along a 2-lane road when all of a sudden we saw someone's HUGE muffler lying in the middle of our lane. Cars were coming in the other direction and my hubby had no other choice but to drive over it while towing our little caravan (TT) behind. We heard the "bump" noise when we went over it, but we thought we'd lucked out and that the muffler didn't hit anything "important". We kept going. A few minutes later, we saw 2 motorcycle "guardia civiles" (Spanish version of state police) with their sirens and lights blinking. They pulled us over and asked my husbnd why he didn't use his blinkers when changing lanes (we had come to a section of road with double lanes on each side). He told them he WAS using his blinkers. We tested them and they weren't working. Upon getting out and looking at the hitch, we saw that the muffer must have hit it when we went over it and it disconnected the electrical cable (and damaged it). Luckily, my hubby was able to "rig it up" so that it would hold temporarily until we could get it fixed. The police were very nice and one of them even crawled underneath the hitch to help my hubby fix the cable. We sure were surprised! We were totally sure we were going to get a fine for driving with blinkers that weren't working (especially since the police had said they hadn't seen any muffler on the road and didn't look like they believed our story!!!) We'll never forget this experience.
Jo Agrafojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #38
Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Unintentionally unhitched in heavy traffic...saw the trailer in rear view mirror go from one lane to the other. Scarry! My fault, wrong size ball. Sold that trailer, it scarred me so badly, heavy and could not see well enough while pulling. Went to a Pop-Up. Now with Uhaul Ct 13, and loveing it.
Exterior door flew open on interstate I-81. at 60 miles per hr. stuff flew out. I recheck and lock up everything now. All it takes is doing that one stupid thing once, you will never do it again.
Flat tire while driving, going slow so no problem, went to side of road and changed tire. I travel Solo. Yes, God watches over me and I pray for safe trip everytime.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #39
Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
No major problems. Battery & alternator went out on the TV on way to Bishop on 395. Only thing with the trailer was our fire extinguisher fell and expelled all its wonderful yellow powder.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #40
Name: Tom
Trailer: 1996 Scamp...SD
never had any of the above, but i feel im a more alert driver towing, slower, thus safer
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #41
Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Flat tires

I've had two flat tires over the years. One on one of my boat trailers about 30 years ago, and one on a motorcycle/rail trailer hauling my dirt bikes. That little cycle trailer had the little old 4.80x8 tires that were really small, so those little guys were really spinning at highway speeds. And being that we were typically running late to get to races, we were usually running way too fast ! It's amazing I didn't blow out a LOT of those tires. Man, we used to pull that thing 75 to 85 mph all the dang time.

And yes I too had the little side door on the tack room area come open on one of the horse trailers a few years ago.

As far as I know, no alien abductions, although sometimes my friends say I act weird.....so who knows.....maybe......
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #42
Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B17
Most of our problems have been with other rigs we've owned over the years. So far our Bigfoot has been relatively trouble free.

Our first RV was a little Class C Toyota Dolphin. My husband was on a trip with it and started noticing that the brakes were acting really soft. He found a shop and they discovered that someone had put transmission fluid in the brake lines instead of brake fluid. He was lucky the brakes didn't fail completely.

A 24' Class C we had developed a leaking roof which we didn't discover until we started off on a trip. We started up a hill and it must have been just enough of an incline that all the water that had accumulated up in the cabover section came pouring down right onto our heads and into our laps! That was fun.

A 32' Class A was the worst offender. The fuel pump failed and we had to have it towed to a shop that worked on big trucks. The fuel pump was actually in the gas tank which required that the shop drain the gas and drop the fuel tank to replace the pump. It was a pricey repair and we had to spend a night in a motel waiting for it be fixed. While going up a very steep and narrow road with that rig we started noticing black smoke coming out the exhaust pipe and that turned out to be some sort of seal that also required a big truck shop to fix and a three day stay in an RV park waiting until they could get to it. That rig also had lots of tire problems. We got flat after flat, but always while we were stationary fortunately. Each time we had to get someone out to change the tire. You don't just jack up a 32' motorhome yourself.

After we got our current Bigfoot we took it on its maiden voyage and had problems with our TV. First the alternator went kaput and then we had to get a new radiator. We got a different TV and it's peculiarity is to stall and die when idling after a long drive in hot weather and/or at high altitude. It's taken three mechanics to finally - we hope - diagnose and fix the problem.

So far most of our issues have been with the mechanical parts of our motorhomes or TVs, rather than with the RV parts. We've only had minor things happen with that part like the "door flying open" and once my husband dragged the electrical cord, which he'd forgotten to unplug and stow away, all the way to the gas station about two miles away before someone pointed out that he was dragging something. Oh, I forgot the time the awning on the 32' motorhome came unfurled while we were driving up the Oregon coast - in a driving rainstorm of course!

We have a roadside assistance plan with Good Sam and have used it two or three times. Their service has always been good. Towing is new to us and I do find it a little nerve racking at times and find myself double checking everything which I suppose is a good thing.

Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote