Poll: New Home Page Picture...Please???? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Home page picture? Choose one or more answers!
Yes, Please...I'd like to see a new picture 39 69.64%
No, Thankyou...leave it just as it is 12 21.43%
Could we maybe have some "old trailer" pics? 10 17.86%
The Royal Family of Luxembourg probably agrees with me. 3 5.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #41

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Looks like a 1949 Jeepster wagon, and the box it came in!
Cool! So keep it!
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2013, 02:06 AM   #42

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Here's a thought...
If the old home page were just deleted (and redirected to the forum page) there wouldn't be an issue with the photo, or any loss of functionality; if the moderators and administrators didn't need to waste time on this topic, they could put the time into they forum instead.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #43

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Here's a thought...
If the old home page were just deleted (and redirected to the forum page) there wouldn't be an issue with the photo, or any loss of functionality; if the moderators and administrators didn't need to waste time on this topic, they could put the time into they forum instead.
Rather than do that, it would be better to leave it up as is. I too go directly to the forum page, but I like the list of trailer makes on the main page and the bits of information linked to it.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #44

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I too go directly to the forum page, but I like the list of trailer makes on the main page and the bits of information linked to it.
Good point Floyd - I had forgotten about the brand list, perhaps because it was so useless for several years.

Maybe the brand list could go in one of the menus, and the moderators and administrators could work on the information on those pages instead of home page photos.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #45

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
if the moderators and administrators didn't need to waste time on this topic, they could put the time into they forum instead.
So who's asking the Mods/Admins to "waste any time" on this topic??? Since it seems to be purely a technical problem, I s'pose it's a Tech department issue. This I didn't know when I brought it up since as I have repeatedly said, I thought it was a simple oversight.

And I for one think the Mods/Admins already put plenty of time into those subjects evidently deemed to be more worthy of discussion...perhaps any who feel there's a lack in that department could volunteer to lend a hand!

Francesca
Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #46

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, I look at the home page photo kinda like the photo that's hanging over my fireplace. The same picture has been hanging there for the past 10 years. I like it, wouldn't consider changing it on a monthly basis, etc.

The picture on the home page is exactly what we are here. Small lightweight towables being tugged by something other than a monster vehicle. Anyone that's never visited the forum would instantly know we're not about motorhomes, huge 5th wheels, etc. Besides, I like it... it's a clean tug/tow combination and they're parked in the sun!

Would I like to see it change occasionally. Well sure. But it's not a deal breaker either way. And I would rather it stay as is, than for the whole page be killed off.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #47

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I'm surprised to hear you say that, Donna- yours was one of the posts from the
last thread on this subject that led me to bring it up again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Remember, Frederick stated back in 02-08-2011, 05:44 PM, they were working on some software that would randomly choose pictures from the trailer registry: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post236520. IMHO they should use the home page album... there's almost two hundred beautiful camping pictures to view! Most members have never even seen them: Home Page Album. But, what do I know.

What caused the change of heart/mind?

Francesca
Old 01-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
What caused the change of heart/mind?

Francesca
I haven't had a change of heart Francesa. I truly believe if it was easy to fix it would be. This forum is a business, for profit... no longer just a labor of love. It's all about ROI. If it costs more money to fix it, then any return... then it would/will be gone. And that would make me sad, because as I said... it reminds me of the picture over my fireplace. In the long run, what's really gained by changing the photo? Other than those of us that have hung out here for a long time get to see something new? I get that pleasure when new members post their pictures or see photos in the Camping forum...

YMMV
Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #49

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
LOL the problem would be so much easier to settle if everyone just switched to the Iphone amp as there are no photos or logos this is all you will see on log in:
Attached Thumbnails
smallFBGRVcover.jpg  
Old 01-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #50

Carol.. that means I'd have to own an iPhone or smarty pants phone. I'm still teathered to a land line! I don't have a cell phone, I don't want anyone to contact me if I'm not at work or at home. I'm back to the 70s again!!!!! (singing off key here).
Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #51

Registry
LOL the problem is Donna that I suspect that even in our life time it may be that one day owning a home hard wired land line may not even be an option or if they are an option they may end up being a very expensive option. I don't think anyone in my family under the age of 40 has a land line in their home and about half the folks I know over that age have ditched their home line line over the last couple of years. Land lines seem to be going the way of the dial phone rather quickly.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #52

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Land lines seem to be going the way of the dial phone rather quickly.
But there some die-hard people like me who are Last Adopters. I still use these telephones. I still get my newspapers printed on paper, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Dial Telephone.jpg   Princess.jpg  

Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #53

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, and when the power goes out and there is no cell phone, your dial tone is comforting.
I keep one plugged in for that purpose.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #54

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I also have a rotary but no longer keep it plugged in because of interference with the rest of the highly suspect Verizon/DTV lashup in our house. It does work and I grew up with a much older phone technology involving cranks, magnetos, and the quasi telegraphy of "rings" so "didgity" dialing doesn't bother me.

Truly amazing the soothing entropy that peripheral interests (what Floyd would call the "self-referential") have brought to this thread. So we're now completely OT and everyone (revisionists, standpatters, objectors, qualifiers, modistraters, and those choosing not to care at all are all hypnotised by telephones. Isn't this great!

jack
Old 01-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #55

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
But there some die-hard people like me who are Last Adopters. I still use these telephones. I still get my newspapers printed on paper, too.

LOL funny enough I thought of you and your funky phones as I typed that! You might have fun in the not to distant future trying to explain to under 14 crowd what they were used for as I do now trying to explain VHF tapes
Old 01-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #56

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
Web pages are much like retail stores, they need to be changed out periodically to maintain interest by repeat users, and stimulate interest with new users. Not changed so much, however, as to lose the "branding" needed to maintain customer loyalty or avoid confusion by users. I think the FGRV site is pretty well-branded using the little graphic in the upper left-hand corner (the picture above the fireplace we don't want to change?), and the "look and feel" of the rest of the site help contribute to that as well. That said, having a new photo from time to time on the front page WILL enhance the site experience. People like their comfort level maintained, but will show interest in new things.

I would opine that traffic on the site might increase in some modest proportion to the frequency of the change, which might stimulate people to post MORE photos in the hopes that theirs one day might be featured. More traffic might be of interest to those contributing to the financial ROI of the site, etc., etc., etc.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #57

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
So we're now completely OT and everyone (revisionists, standpatters, objectors, qualifiers, modistraters, and those choosing not to care at all are all hypnotised by telephones. Isn't this great!
jack
well Jack you have to admit it was bound to happen as the original topic turned out to be a techie issue that no one here knows how to fix.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #58
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
The home page is aging and increasingly prone to breaking. Edits are no longer simple. In time we will have a new home page, with most of the current content plus some articles and current events info and members will have an opportunity to contribute content. Until then we'll keep the old page - it has a lot of great info and is of substantial interest to new readers.

As many have pointed out, regular forum participants bypass that page anyway. For now we are going to close this topic and I wanted to thank you for your thoughtful input on this thread.
Closed Thread