Port a Potty - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I just measured my 565 thetford PP, it is about 15 1/2" H, also measured the toilet in the house, same height. If you want it to be higher just 3 lengths of 2x4 16" long would do the trick, no need to bang them together. Just throw them where you put your junk stuff.
I never smelled anything but chemicals in PP. I did not empty everyday, you should let the chemicals do the work. Nothing but liquid blue came out, even the paper was dissolved. Of course we are only two, it may be another story for more people. Carl

Old 11-03-2014, 04:21 AM   #16
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
About a tablespoon is all you need. I buy it from an RV dealer. When I bought it from Walmart it was not the same stuff. One bottle lasts the season. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-1936578885.jpg  

Old 11-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Thanks all. There are some good ideas here. I'm re-thinking my 3-in-1 box idea. Lynn you made a good point about bringing your step in every night. We don't really need a step, since the 13 is so low anyway, but we have a 15 year old dachshund that would appreciate it.

Donna, I don't know how you found that link to Joy A's solution since it was in an unrelated link? I do like her slide out tray and brace solution. We leave our bed made all the time too, but found some under-bed type stackable plastic bins that are working out well for us. Maybe a combination of these methods might work? Now I'm thinking about a slide out tray to use in it's under-couch storage compartment. Since our Thetford is on the short side; it could provide a raised platform and ease of access.

Ray (RDickens) also had a good idea. He built a 3-sided open box that houses his porta-potty in it's cabinet. At night, he pulls it out and flips the box upside down to become a platform.

Roger, we use the same deodorizer that Raz uses with good results. We use a small glug, not the amount they recommend, but it eliminates odors for 4-5 days. Our use is limited to #1 at night only. According to Amazon reviewers, there is a big difference in the different brands, but most agreed Thetford chemicals work very well. Like Carl, there's only 2 of us.

Tom
Old 11-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #18

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I use the Dometic supplied with the Scamp. Because it is new and still serviceable I will not buy a new one yet. But I can tell you that every time I've gone to unscrew the large cap where the "pee" contents come out, I've scraped the skin off my thumb with generous bleeding. The cap is too close to the carrying handle and I think this is why this happens to me.

I did a drawer slide out mod this summer using leftover cedar ply I had from closet shelves, furniture glides on bottom and a cabinet drawer handle. I love it and did post here on site. Not fancy but works like a charm.

Since in 5'2" the height isn't a problem for me, but I bet it would be for taller folks. Have never noticed any odor and use for about 2 nights and half of a new day before emptying, but only #1.

I will buy a thetford when this one crumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
I use the Dometic supplied with the Scamp. Because it is new and still serviceable I will not buy a new one yet. But I can tell you that every time I've gone to unscrew the large cap where the "pee" contents come out, I've scraped the skin off my thumb with generous bleeding. The cap is too close to the carrying handle and I think this is why this happens to me.

I did a drawer slide out mod this summer using leftover cedar ply I had from closet shelves, furniture glides on bottom and a cabinet drawer handle. I love it and did post here on site. Not fancy but works like a charm.

Since in 5'2" the height isn't a problem for me, but I bet it would be for taller folks. Have never noticed any odor and use for about 2 nights and half of a new day before emptying, but only #1.

I will buy a thetford when this one crumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Could you glue a block of wood/plastic to the cap, so it would clear the edge when you turn it, may help, maybe. Carl
Old 11-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I use and recommend the Dometic Sea-Land portapotty. It costs a bit more but it is very easy to service, fits the body exceptionally well, can be connected to a pump out if desired, and us very quiet when used at night. I have installed three, including two in my personal rigs. A real sweet design.