Port a Potty - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #1

Name: Herschel
Trailer: Casita
Arkansas
Registry
Talking Port a Potty

Ok who makes the best one ? It needs to look good and function flawless , as per my Commander & Chief ! So which do I buy ?

Old 11-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #2

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Never trust your buns on anything but a Thetford. There are many models and sizes to choose from and they last forever.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We were going to order the luggable loo that looks like a hassock. Put garbage bag & kitty litter in it. Cost about $20. Then decided to buy a Casita that has the bathroom built in, only a $7000 difference so what the heck !!!
Old 11-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Our preference is the Pett Toilet, this is a dry toilet system so there is no liquid to drain no messy liquid chemicals, it is light and compact ... plus it is what the US military uses so it is durable tested to support over 500 lbs.

Folded for storage

Open for use

It uses either disposable Wag Bags or you can buy the dry chemical in bulk
http://www.amazon.ca/Cleanwaste-Go-A.../dp/B001TKGAKO
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
The porta-potty`s are great know smell at all. Just dump, light and easy. Used one for years while cabin was being built, before well and septic system were in. Still have it, will use if we winter camp somewhere. Carl
Old 11-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #6

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Here's something else you might want to consider. I did this video on it earlier this year:

Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
Never trust your buns on anything but a Thetford. There are many models and sizes to choose from and they last forever.
I agree. We had a Thetford on our sail boat for years. Now we have a Thetford 260B for the Scamp. If anything, it's even better than the older one. It is on the small side, but theres plenty of room in the porta potty cabinet below the couch for extra paper, etc. Thetford seems to have figured out how to design them so you don't get any splash back when emptying. No smells escape either.

http://www.amazon.com/THETFORD-PORTA...=thetford+260b

Tom
Old 11-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
The have some that are 17 inches tall, now. With my knees, that is a good thing. Thinking of passing on our older ones for a taller one.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #9
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Measure the toilet in your home. Then measure where you want to store the porta pot in your trailer. Find one that measures as close to your home throne as you can, but fits in the location in the trailer. I've had a Thetford 555 for 11 years. No leaks, smells, or other issues. Raz
Old 11-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
The have some that are 17 inches tall, now. With my knees, that is a good thing. Thinking of passing on our older ones for a taller one.
I don't know how the bottom of these are made but could you put it up on a couple of 2X4s or 4X4s to a more comfortable height?
Old 11-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #11

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I was thinking about building a small wooden box that would have three functions. First it would act as a step for the entry door. Next it would hold the jack and stabilizer pads and chocks. Finally it would elevate the porta potty at night. It would be the last box loaded and the first box out when moving to a new site. It wouldn't have to be very tall. Has anyone else done that?

Tom
Old 11-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #12

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
We have built one that covered the first 2 functions and it worked out great. I don't think it would want to bring my step in at night to use as a "porta potty" base at night.If we did that we would lose our entry door step and I can see that as being a problem IF we had to get out of the camper at night.

I don't remember who did it,but one ( or maybe more) of our members built their PP on a slide out,kind of like a drawer if i remember it right,that way it was only out if you needed it out. I also seem to remember it sat on a box that held the TP and other things you need for the potty upkeep. Donna D is great at remembering this kind of stuff,so she might point you to that post.Someone else just might pop in with some of their ideas

good luck and Happy camping
Old 11-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #13

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Red face Potty Platform

I made a 1/2" plywood platform the size of the Porta Potty and then screwed two 2X4's to the bottom and we use that. We only use the porta potty for #1 at night and empty it every morning. I think ours is the Thetford 155.

Once I left the contents for the next night and it did develop a strong odor.

One can dump into a public toilet or down the sewer connection at a campsite.

One thing we learned from FGRV is to use an old dish soap dispenser for flushing. One can spray the entire bowl, and not worry about water in the upper part freezing.

We still have a Commodore model from tenting days...

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:54 PM   #14

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
.... Donna D is great at remembering this kind of stuff,so she might point you to that post.Someone else just might pop in with some of their ideas
There are probably several folks doing this, but Joy A.'s is the one I remember. There's no picture in this direct link, just an explanation... ignore the title!: Making Large Bed Permanent

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote