Porta-bote - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2006, 10:31 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I seem to remember seeing pictures of someone wrestling with his Porta-bote on here pre-hack, but I could have been dreaming.

I want a sailboat that I can throw on top of the car, hitch up the trailer, and go for a weekend of sailing. By myself.

Is anybody doing this already? What type of boat?

Thanks,

Ruth
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Is this the one you mean, Ruth? That's me; captured by Origami.

Click image for larger version

Name:	500captured.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	4236

Or was it this one?

Name:	Africa_Queen_1.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	4237
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Porta-bote does market a sail kit for thier bote. It is a compromise but does "sail". Porta-bote has recently changed the sail kit trying to improve the "sailing experience". I have a 12' Porta-bote and can only envison sailing it on very calm water with only a lite breeze. The 12' bote has a very shallow draft and weights in at 67 pounds. Externally mounted "rudders" are added and attempt to function like a center-board does.

It is doable, but understand, it only remotely resembles sailing.

Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:15 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I'm not doing this; we would like to, but have not found the right setup yet. I look forward to hearing of a workable solution. In the mean time, I'm trying find a way to mount our 17' Misty River aluminum canoe on the van, while towing the Boler, without requiring a crane...

It may be worth investigating a product featured in recent advertising from Canadian Tire: an inflatable multi-purpose boat, which includes a sailing mode: the Aquaglide Multisport. My guess is that it would sail about as well as the Porta-Bote... but who knows? Again, I haven't tried it, or even seen one in person.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:50 PM   #5

I'm not a sailor, so I can't answer your questions about sailing.

Curt is right that the Porta-bote is light weight. The specified weights are just the weight of the hull. The seats, transom and sailing kit will add to that.

The sailing kit comes with two daggerboards (one on each side) and a rudder, so it's likely to be fairly stable with the five foot beam.

You didn't say what kind of tow vehicle you have. I first mounted mine on the side of the Casita, but later added a roof rack on my truck to haul it.

Name:	DSCF0005_boat_mounts_r.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	4239

Name:	side_view.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	4240

Remember you have to find room to haul the seats, transom and other gear.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Thank you all for your responses.

Morgan, that picture is EXACTLY what I remembered seeing. Hysterical! It reminds me of that old horror movie with the crab monsters eating the scientists. That movie gave me nightmares for over a week, so maybe the Porta-Bote should be scratched from the list.

As far as the other good points, I would have to drive our Toyota 4Runner if I'm going solo, so I think it's feasible to put something on the roof and carry the extraneous stuff inside. Considering I haven't sailed in over 20 years (on a Catyak, no less), I'm not looking for any kind of a racer or something with a jib, just something to cross a lake a few times and manage to get back-- all without tipping over. I may have to go with something very old and very used just in case I try it and hate it, but I thought the Porta-bote looked manageable. The inflatable would be too, and it's sure a lot cheaper, so it might be worth investigating. The ideal boat would be something like a Sunfish, but I don't think there's a chance I could manipulate that on the car without ruining one or both.

Thanks for your input, and if anybody else has come across a solution, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Ruth

Ruth
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:40 AM   #7

Ruth,

One other boat you might consider is the 8' Walker Bay Dinghy.

Walker Bay Dinghies

With a rack with rollers on the Toyota, you should be able to cartop it without problems unless you're weak. It only weighs 71# and it's fully assembled. You can get a sail kit for it. It has a wheel in the keel for rolling it to the water.

There are a couple of West Marine stores in Houston, call and see if they have one in stock for you to look at.

I don't think you'd be happy with a Porta-bote for what you want. It's not easy for one person to assemble. I personally would not even consider an inflatable.

This photo shows the roller on the back of my truck rack. I just leaned the Porta-bote on the rollers and lifted it into place. With two rollers, it could handle the dinghy. You could even add a hand winch if the weight was too much for you.

Name:	rear_view.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	4243
Old 07-29-2006, 06:14 AM   #8

Trailer: 1300 Trillium
We thought we might buy two kayaks and travel with them, but the solar panel rides on the roof of the tow v and at a certain point juggling toys is no fun. For now we've decided to rent boats when we want them. I know not every place will have the boat you want but maybe it's a good way to start? Rental places may be a good place to pick up a used boat, and maybe find a solution to the hauling question. Storage and maintenence can also be anti fun. Good luck. I am curious to see how it works out.
Maggie O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:45 AM   #9

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Morgan, what are you using for the roller on your roof rack? ON EDIT: I looked closer at your picture and see that you have Thule rack and the roller is an add-on. I have Yakima round tubes and initially thought your roller was over the round tube. Where did you get the rollers from?

I tried pipe foam and it didn't hold together. I've thought about cutting up noodles, but the foam will collect all manner of dirt. Too stingy to spend $25.00 for Yakima's cushions. Is you roller oversize PVC pipe, metal pipe, or what?

Thanks
Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Morgan, what are you using for the roller on your roof rack? ON EDIT: I looked closer at your picture and see that you have Thule rack and the roller is an add-on. I have Yakima round tubes and initially thought your roller was over the round tube. Where did you get the rollers from?

I tried pipe foam and it didn't hold together. I've thought about cutting up noodles, but the foam will collect all manner of dirt. Too stingy to spend $25.00 for Yakima's cushions. Is you roller oversize PVC pipe, metal pipe, or what?

Thanks
Curt
[b]Curt,

I bought a workstand roller from Harbor Freight:

Roller

It's cheap and effective; ball bearings.

ON EDIT: I don't know if the roller I used would work on your Yakima rack. I bolted the roller on so that the top of the roller was level with the top of the cross piece on my rack. When I leaned the Porta-bote against the roller, I could lift without the friction of the rack. As I lifted it past the center of gravity, it laid down on the rack and I slid it into position in the forward mount. None of its weight was carried by the roller once it was in place. I use it now if I have to load a 12' 2x6 or such; I just lean it up and lift into place. The roller is just above the back of my cap so I can lean stuff on it rather than the cap. I don't know how this would work on your Subaru. END EDIT

The rack I had welded up from 1" square tubing and it bolts on to the fiberglass shell on my F-150. I had it made to length so I could bolt on the Porta-bote RV mounts at the right distance. Origami was a 10' Porta-bote. I sold it last year.

[b]Ruth,

Let us know what you decide and how it works out. You might change the title of the thread to "Sailing" unless you decide to get a Porta-bote.