Porta-Potties and Faucet Sprayers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-03-2006, 10:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Here's another set of goofball questions for you all. We are planning to have a "portable" bathroom outside our trailer during our camping trips in July and August -portapotty and shower within a tent type of thing.

(Warning: Gross topic) What type of porta-potty is the easiest for use with a campsite sewer hookup? Does anyone know if there is actually a potra-potty that hooks directly to the sewer line, or is the only option one of those types you pour into the sewer line by spout?

How about shower attachments for a Scamp sink faucet that has a city-water connection? Anyone do this by just connecting a rubber hose of some sort to the Scamp's sink? I was wondering if there's another type of faucet we could easily install (brand/model) so that we could attach a hose to the faucet and shower outside the trailer. I do this with my shower, so that I can wash my dog with warm water.
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:14 AM   #2

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
I can only help you with half of your question, but here is what I have for a shower mechanism:

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLEMAN-BATTERY-OPERAT...1QQcmdZViewItem

It works very, very well for a quick shower. I have seen posts where people just fill up their sink, or a container and put the pump part in there but I don't have a water heater so my solution was to get one of those large coffee urns, fill it up and let it run till the water gets to the right temp (only takes a couple of minutes) then turn it off and I have a great little portable shower. This might sound funny to some, but the cost of a "real" water heater, plus getting it installed was beyond my ability and you know what they say, necessity is the mother of invention!
Attached Thumbnails
urn.jpg  
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:06 AM   #3

Quote:
I can only help you with half of your question, but here is what I have for a shower mechanism:
http://cgi.ebay.com/COLEMAN-BATTERY-OPERAT...1QQcmdZViewItem
It works very, very well for a quick shower. I have seen posts where people just fill up their sink, or a container and put the pump part in there but I don't have a water heater so my solution was to get one of those large coffee urns, fill it up and let it run till the water gets to the right temp (only takes a couple of minutes) then turn it off and I have a great little portable shower. This might sound funny to some, but the cost of a "real" water heater, plus getting it installed was beyond my ability and you know what they say, necessity is the mother of invention!
That's a really good idea for a heated shower. I definitely like cheaper alternatives to installing a hot water tank!
Old 06-04-2006, 10:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I've been eyeing one of these at Wal-Mart:

Zodi Instant Water Heater and Hot Shower

Name:   0068480506187_215X215.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  35.1 KB

Plus one of these:

Ozark Trail Multi-Purpose Room

Name:   0072700112129_215X215.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  24.4 KB

The Coleman shower pump without the heater would work, too, if you have a stove to heat water on and would be less expensive as well. The only question I would have is if you could heat enough water for a decent shower. The Zodi unit could pull from a 5-gallon or larger reservoir and you'd have a continuous stream of hot water.
(I like my shower in the morning)
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Porta potties are aptly named.. as they are.. er, portable (Not to be confused with potable )

I wouldn't want to rig one for the sewer. It's easy to dump them.

If there is a sewer available, most likely there is a real bathroom available too. If you can't deal with the pot, maybe just not even bother and use the campground ones?

Try the potti tho. I think you will find it isn't as unpleasant as it initially sounds. I live by mine

I use the coleman shower too. Only inside. Rig curtain, put in tub and pump out of pan of warmed water on stove. Dump tub when done. Quick, easy.. bettern' most camprground showers, and certainly better than none at all!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Porta potties are aptly named.. as they are.. er, portable (Not to be confused with potable )

I wouldn't want to rig one for the sewer. It's easy to dump them.

If there is a sewer available, most likely there is a real bathroom available too. If you can't deal with the pot, maybe just not even bother and use the campground ones?

Try the potti tho. I think you will find it isn't as unpleasant as it initially sounds. I live by mine

I use the coleman shower too. Only inside. Rig curtain, put in tub and pump out of pan of warmed water on stove. Dump tub when done. Quick, easy.. bettern' most camprground showers, and certainly better than none at all!
I just imagine myself, carrying a big thing of porta-potty stuff, tripping on a rock... heh. I do like the idea of not having to trek over to the cg bathrooms in the middle of the night, and we are starting to potty train our two year-old, so the porta potty is going to come in handy.

We did a similar shower setup when we tent camped... baby pool inside a four-man tent. It was like having a bathtub with us. It was a pain to fill, though. Took several big pans of hot water, plus a whole bunch of big containers of water. And then messy to empty it back out of the tent. Plus, we probably looked like weirdo's, pulling an infatable pool of water out of a tent. Same goes for the times I've "bathed" under the campground spigot in my bathing suit.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:50 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita

Check this web site for another ''solution''.

http://www.bumperdumper.com/bumper2.htm

Always feel free to ask us old timers for help. Yuk yuk.

Regards,

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Tirah! We took our cue from Ken & Di James and Gina - use the Coleman battery-operated shower & a soup kettle of water heated on the stove (inside or camp stove). We carry the stuff for inside use, but now have a Stansport (I think) "privacy room" we got as a Christmas gift - daughter ordered it from Cabela's and it is GREAT. We used it during our extended stays at Quartzsite last winter, mostly for the PP which we removed at shower time - lovely and convenient. This unit stood up to some beastly winds and we were impressed with the quality.

As for carrying the PP to empty - no worries. We choose to empty sooner than later so it doesn't get too heavy. The 'business' portion fits into a designated plastic dishpan which we take in the back of the van to the dump station - dump, rinse, reset w/chemicals & a bit of water and voila ... all the comforts! Works great for us - should for you too. And what a neat help for your toddler.
Hope to see ya down the road - happy camping! L 'n D