Porta Potty Recommendations - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #21

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Jason,

I think the height depends on where you will store it during non use time.

If I was willing to leave it next to the closet all the time I would love to have a taller unit.

If you still have the front bunk and want to store it under there you may be limited to the 135. That is the only size that I can store away during the day.

Maybe you have done a front dinette mod and have other options, like under a permanent back bed.

We used the taller one on a trip once. I did not like it taking up floor space during the day.

If you don't plan on lots of use look into the wag bag and your hassock idea. Walmart sells a similar bag system. We have tried everything, except the wag bag with our Thetford. I do however have a few adult diaper things I keep buried in storage so I can line the Thetford if we need to do solid job. the wag bag would be much easier....if it will fit in the small bowl.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #22

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The King of Thrones.

Thetford Porta Potti/Potty 465 Electric RV Camper - $119.99
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #23

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
That "tall" one says it's 16 inches high. YIKES! My bones and joints just don't move like they should...how do you people with mobility problems handle getting down so low? And better yet BACK up?

Heck, I've been thinking of getting one of those SMALL bedside chair/commodes, and leaving it up all the time. Use liners for "business" and keep a nice pillow on top of the "chair" for general seating. Anyone tried that?

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Mon, there's not a lot (very little!) aisle space in any of these trailers. I think you'd find you are constantly tripping over the "chair" if you plan on leaving it out all the time. There are options for storage. Check out Joy A's solution
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #25

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Found some great ideas in that old posting Donna

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #26

Name: MJ
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
ha ha funny
Margie Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #27

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
I posted this on another thread, but this is what I use...a Travel John Folding Commode. Has its own carry bag for storage when you're done camping, just like regular camp chairs.
Has a flap that acts as a lid. I use medium kitchen bags and kitty litter or you can use peat moss to absorb any "night time contributions". In the morning, I simply remove the bag, secure it, and walk to the trash with it. No liquid to dispose, container to clean. Fold and stow away until the next night. Easy.

You can find it on Amazon or ebay.
Attached Images

Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #28

How about a small privacy tent and a Bumper Dumper?
Click image for larger version

Name:	BumperDumper-01.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	44535
Click image for larger version

Name:	BumperDumper-02.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	44536

This is not an April Fools Joke. Truly.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #29

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Donna, no room is not much of a problem. Ability to get up and down, PROBLEM.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #30
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
Donna, no room is not much of a problem. Ability to get up and down, PROBLEM.

Mon
A solution to the height issue is to build a box with a floor that the porta pot will fit in. Remove the pot from the box, flip the box over, and set the pot on the inverted box. The sides of the box determine the height. Usually 3-4 inches will do it. In storage the pot in the box takes up little more room. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #31

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Lightbulb 16" is standard toilet height

Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
That "tall" one says it's 16 inches high. YIKES! My bones and joints just don't move like they should...how do you people with mobility problems handle getting down so low?
16" is the same height as the toilet in my house and the toilet in the Fiber Stream (measured from the shower; its a low profile unit on a deck that is 3" higher than the shower). That's why I chose the Thetford 465 for the Compact Jr.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #32

Name: Dan
Trailer: Looking
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
How about a small privacy tent and a Bumper Dumper?
Attachment 44535
Attachment 44536

This is not an April Fools Joke. Truly.
Seat belt included?
1down4up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
We use a Pett toilet The PETT portable toilet unit by Phillips Environmental
Same size as a home toilet but folds compact, uses wag bags or simlar so easy clean up with no mess.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:05 AM   #34

Name: phil
Trailer: 1973 trillium
Ontario
Registry
I found the domestics ,especially the older ones were only good if you have a square butt..
Domestic is much more comfortable
PhillyPhixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #35

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
OK here is my 2 cents. I have a 5 gallon bucket that I have a bucket seat lid I got from cabellas. In it I use tall kitchen trash bags with peat moss. You can use it for #1 or #2 when you are done you add more peat over your business and there is hardly any smell. If we are set up for a couple days I put it in a portable shower tent out side.
I was considering one of these if I had a bigger camper. Nature's Head Composting Toilets - The environmentally sustainable waterless toilet for Your Boat, RV, Cabin, Big Rig, Barn, Workshop, or Yurt!
Hope I wasn't to descriptive!
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #36

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
We've started using the "Luggable Loo" with cat litter for night time potty needs. The rest of the time we use Campground facilities. It's much more discreet to carry a trashbag to the dumpster than a porta potti tank to the bathroom. Also, if a #2 emergency comes up the person with the emergency can tie up the bag and dispose of it rather than me having to do it. Nobody but me had the stomach to clean our Thetford even with the nice smelling chemicals. Guess it was just the idea of it. Now there is no water, no sloshing, no splattering just tie and toss. Hmmmmmm, wonder if Peat Moss is lighter to carry than a bag of cat litte? Here is the link for the Luggable Loo. Very comfy too!

Amazon.com: Reliance Products Luggable Loo Portable 5 Gallon Toilet: Sports & Outdoors
Old 06-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #37

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Melissa..........Yes the peat is lighter! Like you said carrying a weekends trash bag to the dumpster Is eraser. I use 2 trash bags in mine just in case one has a hole!
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #38

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Not to start a fuss, and not that I have a better idea, but I not so sure that I feel comfortable with dumping human waste in trash containers.
For a portable I prefer and use the largest of the european made Fiamma BiPot, with a bottom tank, that is the size and shape of a 5 gallon Jerry can, that lasts 3-4 days at a minimum. Available from J.C. Whitney and others.
Here is a link to the Fiamma web site: http://www.fiammausa.com/products/ac...ies.asp?Fam=A7

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #39

Bob, I think the ick factor is high. But, where do you suppose disposable diapers go?

I'd think peat moss and hauling it around would be messy. Have those of you that are looking for a clean solution considered buying and using Poo Powder? You can certainly find it cheaper elsewhere...
Old 06-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #40

Trailer: 13 ft Ventura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
The princess will only sit on a Thetford thrown.

I bought a Dometic for the Kit a year ago. The seal went bad after a couple tanks, and the "cool" flushing system I bought it for never worked as stated. Its a pump system like in a garden sprayer that is supposed to stay charged for a day, but I could never get it passed 2 flushes without having to pump it up again.

The Leocraft came with an ancient used Thetford 365 that still works flawlessly, seals tight and never spills.
The Dometic "cool" flushing system is a misguided gimmick. They only hold pressure for an hour or two, so in practise it has to be pumped up for every flush.
The problem is a pressure release valve in the filler cap that leaks down to zero rather than maintaining a constant pressure...like a tire with a slow leak. I sort of fixed ours by working a bit of petroleum jelly onto the mating surfaces of the valve.
Darrell O is offline   Reply With Quote