Porta Potty Recommendations - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #41

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
At least a rolled up disposable diaper offers some containment (and a warning) for a relatively small amount of waste. What could be several gallons of waste, in a 4 mil plastic trash bag, with peat or cat litter mixed in, is a UXB waiting to get split open by the next load of trash that follows it into the dumpster/trash can.
And, FWIW, there seems to be about 25+ times more non-diaper wearers in most campgrounds I frequent, than those are still in them. Not that some campers(?) in rolling hotels don't act like them at times when they can't get a tent site for their 40' pusher "Because it's nicer".

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #42

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Gallons???

Gallons??? My My, what are you drinking when you camp?? LOL. For me and my 2 girls you are only talking 1 potty use each a night and only if we all happen to need to go which we dont usually. We use clumping cat litter just like at home for the cats. So that would be only 3 "clumps" if we all 3 went. Nothing to gush out etc and no where near gallons. I toss it every morning so it's not going to add up. Believe me, I toss out waaaaaaaay more "stuff" when I clean the cat box. Those disposable diapers stink and mess up the dumpsters more than anything I'll be throwing away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
At least a rolled up disposable diaper offers some containment (and a warning) for a relatively small amount of waste. What could be several gallons of waste, in a 4 mil plastic trash bag, with peat or cat litter mixed in, is a UXB waiting to get split open by the next load of trash that follows it into the dumpster/trash can.
And, FWIW, there seems to be about 25+ times more non-diaper wearers in most campgrounds I frequent, than those are still in them. Not that some campers(?) in rolling hotels don't act like them at times when they can't get a tent site for their 40' pusher "Because it's nicer".
Old 06-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #43

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
I don't really have a port potty recommendation or preference -- but we have discussed getting one of these for our potty/shower tent. You can never have too much class
It's 6volt and runs off AAA batteries.
Here is the link for the Anywhere Crystal Pendant
Attached Images

Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #44

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Bob, I think the ick factor is high. But, where do you suppose disposable diapers go?
In our neck of the woods, they go in the Green Bin along with kitchen waste for composting which gets picked up with our Blue Bin recyling materials.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #45

Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
In our neck of the woods, they go in the Green Bin along with kitchen waste for composting which gets picked up with our Blue Bin recycling materials.

I think that is fantastic! This is the first time I have heard of this. I am assuming the disposable diapers must be compost-friendly diapers for this service? As far as I know, we don't have this in the US.

I am really bothered by throwing away disposable diapers. We use cloth with our babies.
Tina in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #46

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Ann in TO View Post
I don't really have a port potty recommendation or preference -- but we have discussed getting one of these for our potty/shower tent. You can never have too much class
It's 6volt and runs off AAA batteries.
I love it! Where did you get it?
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina in AZ View Post
As far as I know, we don't have this in the US.
Oh you must somewhere in the US. That is where our multi coloured bins come from. You can see what we do here in the big city www.toronto.ca/garbage , Just use the navigation bar on the left side to understand the various programs. I am reluctant to say we are very poor when it comes to the plastics. I believe it is cheaper to send to a landfill than recycle. Almost everything else they recycle has residual value on sales.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #48

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi...just a little note--my local recycling facility has won multiple awards for its innovative ideas. we simply divide our garbage into either a wet (green) plastic bag or a dry (blue) one. they do all the sorting at the facility. it works amazingly well. diapers and all sanitary products are included in the wet system.

WestmorlandAlbert
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #49

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Mayor Bloomberg of New York City wants to get rid of the LARGE Big Gulp size soft drink cups so if that happens there will be a GLUT of BIG CUPS on the market that may be used as one time porta potties. I know this because Jon Stewart said on his show that the homeless use them.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #50

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil M. View Post
I love it! Where did you get it?
Lil: check the original post about the light. I added the link.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:00 AM   #51

Name: Lorraine
Trailer: 2008 13' Trillium Outback
British Columbia
I do not want to deal with cleaning a port a potti thank you. So I purchased the Luggable Loo Toilet seat from Capital Iron in Victoria BC. I then got a smaller bucket- 3 gallon from a plastics store. (if you buy the Luggable Loo as a set with a 5 gallon bucket, the bucket is too high to fit in the bench) The toilet seat fits perfectly on my lower bucket. The bucket fits in one front bench of the Trillium and I still have room for other storage. It weighs nothing. It costs $14.00. It uses disposable gel bags that cost $12 for 6, found at Walmart, Canadian Tire, etc. You can order one here: Luggable Loo Bucket Lid Toilet Seat, Showers, Toilets, & Accessories, Camp Essentials, Camping : Cabela's
55goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #52

Lorraine, I've looked all over for a 3 Gal bucket with the same diameter as the 5 Gal. Home Depot, Lowes, ACE, even googled them online. Cant find one that the mouth isnt too small for the seat. Is the Plastics store you got yours at by any chance online so maybe I could order one?

Thanks!

Melissa
Old 06-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #53

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
You could try a bakery they some times get icing in 3 gallon buckets!
I found this link.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/def...arentcatid=687
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #54

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
It's official, you have a Bucket list.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #55

Thanks! I'll call them and see if the lid size is the same for the 3 gallon as the 5 gallon.

LOL, good one Darwin!
Old 06-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #56

Name: Lorraine
Trailer: 2008 13' Trillium Outback
British Columbia
3 gallon bucket

Hello Melissa, Here is the link Pails Industrial Plastics and Paints. I got the Round pail, food grade, 20 litre bucket.

Here's a thought... The bucket is needed as a support for the toilet seat and a place for you to sit comfortably. The actual waste goes into the double bag system. So... you could cut the bottom off of a 5 gallon bucket to the correct height so it fits in your bench. The bucket would have not bottom but it doesn't really matter
55goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #57

Well Duh, why didnt I think of that??? Fantastic idea Lorraine!! I like how the Luggable Loo seat snaps tight onto the bucket and didnt want to give that up for a smaller one. Was beginning to think they didnt make 3 Gal buckets the same diameter as the 5 Gal ones which of course means the seat wouldnt snap on tight and could lead to the seat sliding off the bucket, lol. My 9 y/o is already leery of it even though it's secure so would hate for her to be the one to slide off, lol.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #58

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just be careful, cutting the bottom off the bucket may take away from the ridgety (there's that word again) and it may collapse. It would be bad enough if it collapsed and made a mess , but worse if someone got hurt. How about a Reliance Tri-To-Go Camping Chair/Portable Toilet or a Portable Commode just set it up when needed. I know not as convenient as a porta potty, but I think safer than a bucket that's missing the bottom. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55goddess View Post
... you could cut the bottom off of a 5 gallon bucket to the correct height so it fits in your bench. The bucket would have not bottom but it doesn't really matter
No bottom would reduce the strength. Take the bottom you've cut off and glue it back onto the inside either right side up or upside down - whatever fits best. That will give the bucket back it's strength.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #60

Oh ok. Thanks for that info as it would not have occured to me until I or somebody else sat on it. Somebody here posted a green camo folding potti chair that uses bags too (and doubles as a camp chair, in fact you wouldnt know it was a potti chair to look at it) so that may be the best option. Hopefully it's stable and comfy, lol.