Portable dometic fridge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #1

Name: Fernando
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
New Jersey
Portable dometic fridge

I'm restoring a 1980 Jubilee camper.
I will need a fridge and I was thinking on one of this dometic portable fridge.

Please I will appreciate any advice.
Thank you

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0690.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	109128
Falicea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
https://www.compactappliance.com/sea...ortable+fridge

...try an Edgestar...considered as good at a better price..........
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:28 PM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by madjack View Post
https://www.compactappliance.com/sea...ortable+fridge

...try an Edgestar...considered as good at a better price..........
The Edgestar is also sold under several other brand names, like Whynter. The Dometic is a Waeco, which has a decent reputation. If it were me, I'd go with an Engel. The main reason is the reliability and a better compressor. The Edgestar and all the other brand variants with the same manufacturer have a 1 year warranty. The Engel has a 3 year. That says alot.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:54 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I’ve been looking hard at these as well. The 16’ Casita doesn’t have a freezer and I’ve had some issues with the installed Dometic RM2193 holding a reasonable temperature in warm/muggy weather and I have the muffin fan mod.

The Dometic unit (CFX model) seems more robust for outdoor usage. The Edgestar says it’s not outdoor rated. Not an issue if you expect to use it in the trailer only.

The reason I haven’t “pulled the trigger” on a purchase is that for me, compressor refrigerators are relatively heavy and I’m medically constrained to what weight I’m supposed to carry. I’m looking at the smallest Dometic (0.9 cu ft) and it weighs 36-39 pounds empty which is considerably more than the 10 pounds the Dr. would like me to follow.

Since I expect to use it tucked up against the outside of the trailer, under the awning, securing the unit against casual theft and pest-proofing it (raccoons or bigger) are also factors. I don't see any advantage to any of the candidates in these regards.

I can’t say I’ve run across the Engel which probably only says something about my research methods. Though I do wonder if there is objective evidence beyond the longer warranty to support the claim that it has a better compressor.

Added later:
It's telling that the Dometic documents for the trailer's RM2193 have the drain for the fridge when running on 12v as 10.5 amps. For the CFX fridge I'm considering, its compressor-driven drain at 12v is 6.5 amps. While travelling, I'd be better off sliding the CFX into the trailer and plugging it into the 12v outlet. My tow vehicle can't replace the 10a the RM2193 wants but would keep up (barely) with the 6.5a of the CFX.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:18 AM   #5

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
If you are going to have electric service you can get a "dorm fridge" for very cheap new or used and set it outside, mount it under the cabinet inside, back of the truck, etc... I have seen them at garage sales, craigslist, Goodwill, etc... for next to nothing. For that money it is worth it to take it and set it outside and modify the door with a simple lock assembly from the hardware store to keep the critters out. The rain should not be an issue if it is under your awning and on top of a step stool. Could even use it to make ice....
Old 07-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #6

Name: Clay and Cait
Trailer: Escape 5.0
Florida
We owned an Indel B compression fridge (also branded as a Truck Fridge) when we had a truck camper. We ordered it from Equipt. It can act as either a refrigerator or a freezer depending on what temperature you set it at.

Can't say enough great things about this fridge, and we're scheming to rip out our 3-way Dometic in our Escape and replace it with a Danfoss compression fridge as soon as we have the time to do it. The 3-way Dometic we have now isn't trustworthy when the weather is warm, no matter what mods we do to it.

We chose the Indel B over the other compression fridge options (Dometic, National Luna, Whynter, etc) because we felt it was the best value for money. Equipt also has conducted tests side-by-side of different compression fridges and posted results, so we were confident that the Indel B would do what was expected.

The pro to these types of fridges (over a dorm fridge) is that they are so, so energy efficient and run off either 12V or shore power, whatever you want, so you can keep it operating when in transit. Our Indel B used around 3 amps/hour. Combined with our 200ah battery and 200W of solar we had in our truck camper, we never needed electric hookups and that was pretty awesome Miss that rig... but alas, we needed a bigger camper!

If you tow with an SUV or a truck with a backseat, a lot of people keep them in the vehicle. You can plug it in to the vehicle when you're in transit, and you can run an extension cord to plug into the camper or shore power when you're at a campsite. That way you don't have to lug it around.
TwoplusLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #7

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
We have used an Engel for over 5 yrs. It draws 1/2 the DC current, 2.5 amps, of other units. We leave in the back of the Explorer and run on car bat when running around, we leave it on bat whiLe shopping eating, visiting and anything else while away from trailer. When at trailer we run a 120 cord out back plug into 120 outlet on trailer and close hatch. We use the gel for ice or o erflow.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #8

New Jersey
Sorry for so many questions.

I want to set it where the other one was on my camper. I also want to let it permanent there.
I was thinking to make a bracket to pull it out when we want to use it some where ales.

This fridge I'll be use 90% inside the camper.
Is this fridge will need and air vent?

Thank you to everyone

Sorry for my English i do my best [emoji106]

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0715.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	109161
Old 07-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falicea View Post
Sorry for so many questions.

I want to set it where the other one was on my camper. I also want to let it permanent there.
I was thinking to make a bracket to pull it out when we want to use it some where ales.

This fridge I'll be use 90% inside the camper.
Is this fridge will need and air vent?

Thank you to everyone

Sorry for my English i do my best [emoji106]
Attachment 109161
You will need to take careful measurement of the unit you purchase to see if it will fit into your cabinet. Part of the measurements has to do with the portable fridge needing empty space next to it for it to keep the motor from overheating. Those cooling vent areas on the portable fridge are where it needs the extra space. Looking at the photo of your cabinet I did see one thing that might help make your plan of sliding it out of the cabinet possible. You could cut an openings on the sides of the cabinet and place a perforated panel over that opening. That will allow air movement so that your portable fridge does not get too hot. Here is a link to a photo of the type of decorative, perforated, aluminum metal panels you could use to allow that hot air to escape the cabinet. They come in various patterns and colors and are easy to find at hardware stores.
M-D Building Products 36 in. x 36 in. Lincane Aluminum Sheet in Silver-57182 - The Home Depot
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:06 PM   #10

New Jersey
The camper is complete empty
For a full restoration

New cabinet will be make.
And all the appliances will be replaced for new ones.
That is the reason I ask because I have to buy the fridge to be able to make the cabinet on that side of the camper.

I only want to make sure I make the right decision
If I decide to buy the potable fridge or the original fridge.

Thank you [emoji4]
Old 07-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #11

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
[FONT=Calibri]I can’t say I’ve run across the Engel which probably only says something about my research methods. [SIZE=3]Though I do wonder if there is objective evidence beyond the longer warranty to support the claim that it has a better compressor.
Not objective, but I've asked around. The Engel can take more abuse, mainly because of the swing motor (Sawafuji) which only has one moving part. Power consumption wise, I dont think the Engel is all that more efficient (although Engel claims it is), but it is rugged. The guys at the repair shops are usually non-committal when asked which is better, but they will tell you that they see very few Engels coming in for repairs. My dad has an Engel in his garage that's been running continuously since 1985. That's 32 years, trouble free. Again, not objective, but a pretty ringing first hand endorsement.

https://www.portablefridge.eu/why-choose-engel

The only problem with the Engel, besides the cost, is that they are very hard to find in stock at US suppliers. As an alternative, if I wasn't willing to wait for one, I would probably go with an ARB, (made by Dometic) that uses a Danfoss compressor.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:09 PM   #12

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
We really like our Engel but I really want a permantely installed front loading frig with a small freezer unit. Much more convenient, we have a 2010 17' FD with domestic 3 way pwr and is working very well.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:25 PM   #13

New Jersey
We decided to go with the dometic 3 way.

I will post pictures when we have it installed.

Thank to everyone
Old 07-25-2017, 04:35 PM   #14

New Jersey
This is my Jubilee 1980
When I bough it was water leak on deferent places and my wife and I decide to do a full restoration.

I start buying everything little by little
Dometic sink and stove also dometic fridge
Al the interior lighting new front jack and stabilizer jacks ext.

I still need the water heater. If somebody can give me a little help on what water heater I should use or buy I will appreciate.

Attachment 1

Name:   IMG_0050.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  18.6 KB

Name:   IMG_9981.JPG
Views: 33
Size:  25.7 KB

Name:   IMG_0803.JPG
Size:  26.6 KB

Name:   IMG_0801.JPG