Portable Fridge/Freezer ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #15

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Dometic CF-025DC CF-25 Waeco CoolFreeze Portable Fridge Freezer Trailer RV Camper

Here it is sold as a Dometic, with Danfoss listed as the compressor in the description.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Amazon.com: WAECO CF-25 COOLMATIC 24 QUART 12/24 VOLTS PORTABLE REFRIGERATOR / FREEZER WITH COMPRESSOR: Automotive

What was your opinion on this one? If you've checked it out. About 25qt, $500.

Sold as a Waeco in Australia apparently. Portable Fridge - Sensational Waeco CF-25

How in the world do you know who makes the compressor in any given fridge?

I sure wish there was a review or two on the little CDF-11. I'd kill for a freezer, but $425 on a hassle is not what I want.

FYI. I just read the specifications on Waco CF-25. It draws an average of about 3 amps when outside temp is 68 and about 6 amps at 86. Note those are averages based the amount of time the compressor is running.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:56 AM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Quote:
Dometic CF-025DC CF-25 Waeco CoolFreeze Portable Fridge Freezer Trailer RV Camper

Here it is sold as a Dometic, with Danfoss listed as the compressor in the description.
This is one that I have been looking at, the place that sells them had it on sale a week or so ago. I just don't know enough about these Fridge/Freezers to go ahead and make a purchase. I'm going to have to dig into them more, it does look like ARB is a very good one. But I think the smallest one is a 35qt. Byron thanks for that info on the Waeco 25qt.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #18

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
The ARB has a Danfoss compressor and the Engle has the Exclusive Swing compressor. There are 2 sizes of compressors Danfoss makes for these types of fridges, my ARB 50 has the small one so it is likely the one Tim is looking at has the same ( no advantage to a larger unit to cool a smaller space). I would think that if the guts are the same the only issues would be the thickness of insulation and sophistication of the controls and how the cover hinge works(you can pull the cover off the ARB to access contents in tight spaces, nice feature). All things being equal then $ would make the decision.
Michael J.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #19

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
FYI. I just read the specifications on Waco CF-25. It draws an average of about 3 amps when outside temp is 68 and about 6 amps at 86. Note those are averages based the amount of time the compressor is running.
Hmmm... The little one claims only 30 watts. 30W/12V = 2.5 amps. Seems consistant. 2.5x24= 60 amp hours a day.

Interesting. A lot more efficient than the Dometic 3 way fridge I have, someone in another thread mentioned those using 10 amps on average. I won't be running that off 12V unless on the TV and the engine running.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #20

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Hmmm... The little one claims only 30 watts. 30W/12V = 2.5 amps. Seems consistant. 2.5x24= 60 amp hours a day.

Interesting. A lot more efficient than the Dometic 3 way fridge I have, someone in another thread mentioned those using 10 amps on average. I won't be running that off 12V unless on the TV and the engine running.
60 amp hours a day = one dead 80 amp hour Group 24 battery in less than 24 hours. 120 amp hour battery dead in 24 hours.
80 amp hour battery at 50% discharge 40 amp hours, or less depending on the discharge rate.
Still not good.
The 9 amp on 12 Volt 3 way is going to be worse, yes. That's why most never use the DC 12 position except maybe when driving with a tow vehicle that can handle that extra 9 amps.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #21

Indiana
Registry
I run the ARB on solar at the ocean. Running as a freezer 150 watts has been sufficient with a 210 amp Trojan battery bank, haven't been below 60% according to my monitor. It will cut off the battery when it gets below user set voltage. Running as a fridge will put less draw on the batteries. I have had 2 cloudy days in a row and still recovered. Only issue was when I left the inverter on all night, gotta watch thos little power vampires.
Michael J.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #22

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Michael, Thanks for the stats , they are very interesting. I guess I will have to make up my mind as to weather or not I'll use it boondocking or not. If I do I would probably go with an Engel or ARB , and if just using in my vehicle or when camping on 110v I can probably use a cheaper Fridge/Freezer like the Waeco 25Qt.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #23

Indiana
Registry
We use our ARB a lot to keep things frozen when we visit our parents and kids (2 & 7 hrs travel) or when we go to Canada for our annual fishing trip. Take frozen up and keep things cool coming back. Just another reason for one. Don't have to mess with dry ice or ice.
Michael J

Tags
fridge