Portable Fridge/Freezer ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Portable Fridge/Freezer ?

Does anyone have a Whynter or Waeco Fridge/Freezer ? I know that the Waeco is a little more probably because it has the better compressor. Any feedback on either would be appreciated.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #2

Anyone have maybe a different make that they care to elaborate on , likes dislikes etc. ?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I've considered researching the 3 way LPG/12V/120V that is available, because my fridge works best on LPG.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #4

Roy, I actually have a portable 3way that I bought 6 years ago for a trip to Alaska. It worked out great, used 110v on inverter on the road, and gas when we stopped to camp. Did this in a conversion van and loved it. But you can't get a freezer in a 3way portable to my knowledge. So I'm kinda interested in a portable fridge/freezer in 110v/12v . Don't want anything too big either, like maybe a 25qt. or smaller. Something nice size to carry in our mini van while traveling.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #5

Is this what you got Tim?
Mobicool 3-Way Absorption Power Cooler, 42 Quart (40 L) | Canadian Tire
Old 06-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #6

Roy, Mine looks similar but mine won't make ice cubes. Mine also doesn't have a cold setting but always seemed to be cold enough. The name is Explorer Discovery, and I'm not sure who made it I can't seem to find much info on it. The one you have the link to looks like it may be a better model than mine and the price seems good. If you could get it on sale that would even be better yet. We have liked ours very much but just don't use it much as we always have a 3way in our trailer.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #7

Tim,
I've been watching for it to go on sale for a couple of years now, with no luck. One of the answers posted on the Product Q&A said almost 3 years ago that they too have been watching for years and never seen it on sale. Until the product is delisted from Canadian Tire, I doubt I will ever see it on sale.

I'll have to keep my eye out for store closing / remodelling sales and make an offer.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #8

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
I have an ARB 50 Qt that is doing nicely for us for 2 years. I researched the most efficient and came down to the Engle, ARB and National Luna. They are all more expensive than the Whynter, Norcold etc. It came down to price with the Equivalent Engle around $1000, the National Luna Around $2000 and the ARB $700.
Week before last it was keeping up at 12 degrees F in 85 degree weather with Sun on it half the day running off my battery bank with Solar make up. Works good as a fridge too. and no problems running on 120V.
My 2Cents.
Michael J
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #9

Link to ARB USA with fridge product listings:
Fridges
Old 06-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #10

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Anyone used that tiny Waeco CDF-11? My Dometic 3 way fridge works great, well, haven't used it on 12V enough to judge, but it works great on AC and LP. BUT, it has no freezer. For long periods with grid power I'd love a tiny freezer. Just enough for a little food, but mostly to make ice.

Waeco CDF-11 Portable Fridge

Seem popular in Australia, rare in the US.

OK, they don't seem to be sold under the Waeco brand in the US, that's why all I get is Australian links.

US version.
http://www.amazon.com/Cdf-11-Portabl.../dp/B005X97OHA
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #11

Interesting Dylan,

The amazon link you provided leads to what appears to be a good deal on an Edgestar.

Although it reads fridge/freezer, you use it one way or the other based on your temperature selection.
http://www.amazon.com/43-Portable-Co.../dp/B0012EGZ9S

Here is a link to the Edgestar line, they look the same as many other brands by the pictures and specs.
Portable Fridge Freezers | Travel Coolers | EdgeStar.com
Old 06-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #12

Indiana
Registry
Reviews are not exactly stellar. I have no idea why someone would give 4 stars for a unit that gave them problems like that./
Old 06-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #13

I do know that the ones with a Danfoss compressor are more expensive and probably better too. I did check out the ARB and most everyone who owns one really like them a lot. I was hoping to get something with a Danfoss that was 25qt or so and around 500 or less. Don't know about that small Waeco, I don't know if that one has the danfoss compressor. I do know that some of the other model Waeco's do. Maybe I'm hoping for too much. Thanks for the info everyone and links etc.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #14

British Columbia
Amazon.com: WAECO CF-25 COOLMATIC 24 QUART 12/24 VOLTS PORTABLE REFRIGERATOR / FREEZER WITH COMPRESSOR: Automotive

What was your opinion on this one? If you've checked it out. About 25qt, $500.

Sold as a Waeco in Australia apparently. Portable Fridge - Sensational Waeco CF-25

How in the world do you know who makes the compressor in any given fridge?

I sure wish there was a review or two on the little CDF-11. I'd kill for a freezer, but $425 on a hassle is not what I want.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #15

British Columbia
Dometic CF-025DC CF-25 Waeco CoolFreeze Portable Fridge Freezer Trailer RV Camper

Here it is sold as a Dometic, with Danfoss listed as the compressor in the description.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Amazon.com: WAECO CF-25 COOLMATIC 24 QUART 12/24 VOLTS PORTABLE REFRIGERATOR / FREEZER WITH COMPRESSOR: Automotive

What was your opinion on this one? If you've checked it out. About 25qt, $500.

Sold as a Waeco in Australia apparently. Portable Fridge - Sensational Waeco CF-25

How in the world do you know who makes the compressor in any given fridge?

I sure wish there was a review or two on the little CDF-11. I'd kill for a freezer, but $425 on a hassle is not what I want.

FYI. I just read the specifications on Waco CF-25. It draws an average of about 3 amps when outside temp is 68° and about 6 amps at 86°. Note those are averages based the amount of time the compressor is running.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Dometic CF-025DC CF-25 Waeco CoolFreeze Portable Fridge Freezer Trailer RV Camper

Here it is sold as a Dometic, with Danfoss listed as the compressor in the description.
This is one that I have been looking at, the place that sells them had it on sale a week or so ago. I just don't know enough about these Fridge/Freezers to go ahead and make a purchase. I'm going to have to dig into them more, it does look like ARB is a very good one. But I think the smallest one is a 35qt. Byron thanks for that info on the Waeco 25qt.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #18

Indiana
Registry
The ARB has a Danfoss compressor and the Engle has the Exclusive Swing compressor. There are 2 sizes of compressors Danfoss makes for these types of fridges, my ARB 50 has the small one so it is likely the one Tim is looking at has the same ( no advantage to a larger unit to cool a smaller space). I would think that if the guts are the same the only issues would be the thickness of insulation and sophistication of the controls and how the cover hinge works(you can pull the cover off the ARB to access contents in tight spaces, nice feature). All things being equal then $ would make the decision.
Michael J.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #19

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
FYI. I just read the specifications on Waco CF-25. It draws an average of about 3 amps when outside temp is 68° and about 6 amps at 86°. Note those are averages based the amount of time the compressor is running.
Hmmm... The little one claims only 30 watts. 30W/12V = 2.5 amps. Seems consistant. 2.5x24= 60 amp hours a day.

Interesting. A lot more efficient than the Dometic 3 way fridge I have, someone in another thread mentioned those using 10 amps on average. I won't be running that off 12V unless on the TV and the engine running.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hmmm... The little one claims only 30 watts. 30W/12V = 2.5 amps. Seems consistant. 2.5x24= 60 amp hours a day.

Interesting. A lot more efficient than the Dometic 3 way fridge I have, someone in another thread mentioned those using 10 amps on average. I won't be running that off 12V unless on the TV and the engine running.
60 amp hours a day = one dead 80 amp hour Group 24 battery in less than 24 hours. 120 amp hour battery dead in 24 hours.
80 amp hour battery at 50% discharge 40 amp hours, or less depending on the discharge rate.
Still not good.
The 9 amp on 12 Volt 3 way is going to be worse, yes. That's why most never use the DC 12 position except maybe when driving with a tow vehicle that can handle that extra 9 amps.

Tags
fridge