Portable Gas stove, I like it. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2018, 07:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Portable Gas stove, I like it.

I bought this Gas One portable butane stove 3 years ago and really like it. The gas is cheap, it lights automatically, flame height is easily adjustable and its inexpensive. We use it outside when frying smelly things to keep the Scamp odor free. I have used everything from the Swedish Svea 123, to Coleman white gas stoves thru our Scamp's propane stove. I think I like this $18.00 Gas One the best. I seem to get about 2 hours of run time from a $2.00 butane can. I buy the fuel at my local Asian food store. You can see it at Amazon by clicking this link. There are dozens of these stoves on the market, mostly from Korea. They all seem to use the same fuel cans no matter the brand.

What's your favorite portable stove?

Happy cooking, john
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 7.28.34 PM.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've used these for many years. I used to place butane stove on the propane stove in my tent trailer to boil water for morning coffee. It was twice as fast as propane.
A caution though. Don't place an oversize pot on the burner or it will heat up the butane canister, which can blow up ( proven by my daughter and son-in-law ).
I replaced that one with a top of the line Iwatani. Made in Japan. Used by the restaurant industry. Built in wind screen. Expensive ( note that's the Canadian price ).
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 6.05.21 PM.jpg  
Old 01-17-2018, 08:12 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
my favorite is my JetBoil, which I use purely to boil water, mostly for coffee, but also for other things (cup o noodles, etc).

for more substantial outdoor cooking, we have one of these,
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Insta.../dp/B000F7T2MU
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:43 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
To me, it seems like one more gizmo to haul around. Other than grilling (which makes smoke) outside, I cook inside. All my utensils, pots and pans, seasonings, butter, etc are inside already, and when I tried cooking outside (on sterno) I kept having to go back inside, over and over, to retrieve this or that.... and again to put it all away afterward.

But for those of you who enjoy heating stuff up outside and have a system down pat, I'm happy for you.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:57 PM   #5

We almost always cook outside. I have a two burner Napoleon BBQ so I can cook direct ( grilling ) or indirect. I have two butane single-burner stoves for frying or boiling. I have a 5 gallon water container and a stainless steel 'sink' for washing up.
Inside, I have a three-burner propane stove that's used for making coffee in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Breakfast - 1.jpg   chicken napoleon 2 - 1.jpg  

Camp kitchen.jpg  
Old 01-18-2018, 06:28 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
I bought this Gas One portable butane stove 3 years ago and really like it. The gas is cheap, it lights automatically, flame height is easily adjustable and its inexpensive. We use it outside when frying smelly things to keep the Scamp odor free. I have used everything from the Swedish Svea 123, to Coleman white gas stoves thru our Scamp's propane stove. I think I like this $18.00 Gas One the best. I seem to get about 2 hours of run time from a $2.00 butane can. I buy the fuel at my local Asian food store. You can see it at Amazon by clicking this link. There are dozens of these stoves on the market, mostly from Korea. They all seem to use the same fuel cans no matter the brand.

What's your favorite portable stove?

Happy cooking, john
I also have a Gas One, but the model is GS-3400 P also available from Amazon. The 3400P allows you to run it with a 1 pound disposable propane cylinder as well as butane.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:59 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
stove

I have one but I prefer my old coleman all gas unit! never have to worry about picking up coleman fuel!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have never cooked anything in my trailer. Always outside. With five kids, the trailer always seems crowded, or too hot. Either way, cooking outside makes sense to me. The awning comes in handy when it is raining.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
One of those came with our Campster. Canisters can be ordered from Amazon. I have a hard time locating them locally.

The first time we used it was to heat a large pot of soup, probably 3 gallons. It did the job and lasted 3 or 4 hours until the soup was gone.

Ours is a different brand but they are all made by the same manufacturer (South Korea, as i recall) per the help desk for ours. Great little stove.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #10

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I have tried many different camp cooking appliances. I only heat soups in the microwave, and boil water/coffee on the stove, never cook anything inside the Casita.

Outside have tried many stoves. Currently have a (Amazon) Blackstone Portable Table Top Camp Griddle, which I have cooked on at home, now want to try on the road. Very heavy. Also will be trying a (Amazon) Coleman Guide Series Powerhouse Dual Fuel Stove this camping season. I have always wanted to try to cook on one but have always had a propane stove. Years ago I used to have a propane powered Primus/Optimus(?) three burner camps stove, cream green and yellow/cream colored, but I did not appreciate it. When I tried to buy a new one they are no longer made. It was a work of art. I recently had a Stansport 3 burner, but it was flimsy, and gave it to Goodwill.

I also have a (Amazon) Volcano 3. Works well, but also very heavy and has a lot of fidgety parts. I keep it around, just don't use it much. I also will be taking an electric griddle (for campgrounds with electricity) and a electric single burner hot plate and Coleman Stove Dual Fuel 533 for back up. And a (Amazon), Texsport Heavy Duty Over Fire Camp Grill, just in case I ever have a campfire (don't do, but who knows...).

I just hope the Coleman 2 burner gas fuel stove works well.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:45 AM   #11

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We bought one of these last year to replace our bulky Coleman propane stove. It works great inside and out. I am adding another..
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
To me, it seems like one more gizmo to haul around. Other than grilling (which makes smoke) outside, I cook inside. All my utensils, pots and pans, seasonings, butter, etc are inside already, and when I tried cooking outside (on sterno) I kept having to go back inside, over and over, to retrieve this or that.... and again to put it all away afterward.

But for those of you who enjoy heating stuff up outside and have a system down pat, I'm happy for you.
I'm with you, Mike. I always cook inside with the tools nearby. We don't seem to grill, just keep it simple with pots, pans and a toaster oven, if on electric service. I also use the Coleman Oven on top of the Compact's stovetop.

I've always wondered about those butane stoves, though. They look more compact than the usual Coleman camp stove. Probably good to have if it's too hot to cook indoors.

Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #13

Tennessee
I have tried many different camp cooking appliances. I only heat soups in the microwave, and boil water/coffee on the stove, never cook anything inside the Casita.

Outside have tried many stoves. Currently have a Blackstone griddle (Amazon) Blackstone Portable Table Top Camp Griddle, Gas Grill for Outdoors, Camping, Tailgating, which I have cooked on at home, now want to try on the road. Very heavy. Also will be trying a (Amazon) Coleman Guide Series Powerhouse Dual Fuel Stove this camping season. I have always wanted to try to cook on one but have always had a propane stove. Years ago I used to have a propane powered Primus/Optimus(?) three burner camps stove, yellow and yellow/cream colored, but I did not appreciate it. When I tried to buy a new one they are no longer made. It was a work of art. I had a Stansport 3 burner, but it was flimsy, and gave it to Goodwill.

I also have a Volcano 3. Works well, but also very heavy and has a lot of fidgety parts. I keep it around, just don't use it much. I also will be taking an electric griddle (for campgrounds with electricity) and a electric single burner hot plate andColeman Stove Dual Fuel 533 for back up. And a (Amazon), Texsport Heavy Duty Over Fire Camp Grill, just in case I ever have a campfire (which I do not usually do, but who knows...).

I just hope the Coleman 2 burner gas fuel stove works well.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #14

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I've used these for many years. I used to place butane stove on the propane stove in my tent trailer to boil water for morning coffee. It was twice as fast as propane.
A caution though. Don't place an oversize pot on the burner or it will heat up the butane canister, which can blow up ( proven by my daughter and son-in-law ).
I replaced that one with a top of the line Iwatani. Made in Japan. Used by the restaurant industry. Built in wind screen. Expensive ( note that's the Canadian price ).
:Glenn where in BC did you buy that one?
Peter
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2023 RAV4 Trail
Ontario
Be Aware - These don't like the Cold.

I like these butane stoves and I have 2 of them.
However, I have been camping when temps dropped to the close to freezing and the stoves became unusable. I understand that some Butane fuel cylinders have some Propane in the fuel to help prevent that problem, but, even then, the cylinder becomes colder than the ambient temperature due to the expanding (boiling of the butane absorbs heat) gas. You see the frost zone on Propane tanks. Well, the same with Butane which stops boiling at 30.2F (-0.4C) and the flame goes out.
Granted, it's not great camping at those temps, but it happens.
However, most of the time they make a great secondary handy burner.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:27 PM   #16

Tennessee
Trying to cook at high altitude, temps in abt 40 +/-, wind blowing, was too much for my Weber Go Any Where grill and is the main reason I am trying out the Coleman 414-700 Gas stove.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #17

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pupeza View Post
I like these butane stoves and I have 2 of them.
However, I have been camping when temps dropped to the close to freezing and the stoves became unusable. I understand that some Butane fuel cylinders have some Propane in the fuel to help prevent that problem, but, even then, the cylinder becomes colder than the ambient temperature due to the expanding (boiling of the butane absorbs heat) gas. You see the frost zone on Propane tanks. Well, the same with Butane which stops boiling at 30.2F (-0.4C) and the flame goes out.
Granted, it's not great camping at those temps, but it happens.
However, most of the time they make a great secondary handy burner.
Mike .....>
: I had a propane truck once and it did not work when cold out unless I started a fire under it, or place a heater in a little room under it. Took about 20 minutes to warm it up and then it started.
I also like the little pack units that burn wood good idea as I go fishing where there is a ton of wood on the ground.
Stude
Old 01-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
Peter

I have seen them at a couple of asian stores. T&T has them and H Mart in PoCo has them.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
Peter
I ordered it online. Couldn't find a local retailer.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:01 PM   #20

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I ordered it online. Couldn't find a local retailer.
Thankyou Glenn.
Stude