Portable Grills - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #21
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We are on year 7 with our Weber Smokey Joe. About thirty bucks anywhere and last time I checked still made in the US. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:06 PM   #22

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
I love my Weber Baby Q100.
Patty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Doesn't the Cobb take longer to cook food? I heard that it doesn't get as hot as other portable grills, and that in wind the cooking can be even slower plus uneven. Any truth to that?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Hi Mike - I never had any issues with heating with my Cobb, wind or no wind. It just depends on how many briquettes you use. We mostly cook steaks and hamburgers.
Nancy Merigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #25

Trailer: Casita
Baby Q here. Had one for years and love it.
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Merigold View Post
Hi Mike - I never had any issues with heating with my Cobb, wind or no wind. It just depends on how many briquettes you use. We mostly cook steaks and hamburgers.
Ok, thanks
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #27

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Doesn't the Cobb take longer to cook food? I heard that it doesn't get as hot as other portable grills, and that in wind the cooking can be even slower plus uneven. Any truth to that?
none whatsoever, the wind has -0- effect on the Cobb. If you buy the round Cobb briquettes, they are bamboo and self igniting, they look like a sparkler when first lit, and in 10 minutes it is hot and in 2 hours a 2lb roast is done, juicy as if cooked in a crock pot but crusty on the outside. If you put the grill on you can cook burgers and dogs and if you put the griddle on you can do breakfast. It can cook all 3 meals a day. It is just as functional as a propane grill but without the propane taste but with the juiciness of a slow cooker. By the way, you can do a whole chicken on it too, try that on your propane. The Cobb cooks at a lower temperature without burning the meat, it's the design that does it.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #28

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Webber BBQ 100 hands down. Functional, transportable (camping or at home), well built, reliable, small footprint but easily can cook for 6 at one time. The rest all either overpriced or flimsy. I'd say the best cast iron grill of the lot too.
mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #29

Name: Kim
Trailer: 2012 Casita 17' SD (on order)
Alabama
After much consideration I bought the Weber Go-Anywhere propane grill last week. I knew I wanted a Weber because we have used their portable charcoal grill – Smoky Joe - constantly for years and it’s still producing great food. (Don’t care for the cheap ‘made in China” brands that only last a year or so). I had originally decided on the Weber Q 100 BUT …. the Go-Anywhere cost ½ what the Q does and is much lighter. I am experimenting with it now and learning how to use it before I pick up my trailer in December. I blogged about it the other day: http://www.kimbopolo.blogspot.com

Kimbopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I'm sorta/kinda looking for a good one, too! I have used the "el-cheap-o" ones and burned through them pretty quickly.

I'm looking at adding a "quick-connect" propane outlet to the propane system on my ("new") Bigfoot so I can just plug into the on-board propane tanx and be able to do table-top burgers or hotdogs. It will have be to able to have a way to cook bacon on it, (it must have a griddle or a way to put one on!) as I will not even TRY to cook bacon on the stove in the trailer - you'll never get the odor out!

The trick is to get the quick-connect adapters and a long enough hose. This can be done at many places, but I've NEVER seen an RV dealer who can make up a hose to the right length, with the right connectors.

I never use propane at home, though - my deck BBQ runs on Nat gas! It never runs out halfway through grilling a teriyaki T-bone with melted blue cheese on top!!

The little green bottles just don't last. They also seem to leak down to nothing if you just use one for a short time, then disconnect it and put it away - its empty the next time you want it!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:53 AM   #31

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You really need to check out the Costco, Tabletop Stainless Steel propane grill that I previously posted about. In Richmond, VA it was at 1/2 price $49.79.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #32

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
I can attest to Jim's Cobb cooker, as I had some pork roast from it @ the Pa gathering . I'm going to pick one up for myself.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #33

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I love my little Coleman RoadTrip Party grill. I even found a dome in a kitchen cabinet that fits it perfectly, looks like the dome on the Cobb. The dome has a vent at the top. I'm anxious to give it a try with something like a roast or maybe a chicken. Something that needs a longer grill time, covered.

This little grill is 12 1/2 inches in diameter and stands 10 1/2 inches high without the dome and 15 inches high with the dome. All collapsed down it is 8 inches high. It has 8,000 btu's and is finally a grill that I can char the outside of a steak on both sides yet have the interior rare. I gone through multiple portable grills over the years and have never been able have a rare steak with the outsides charred. This is a sweet little baby.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #34

For some reason I couldn't add my pictures to the prior post, so here they are:
Attached Thumbnails
Coleman RoadTrip Party grill in the bag.JPG   Coleman RoadTrip Party Grill.JPG  

Coleman RoadTrip Party Grill with dome.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 09-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #35

Alabama
Joy A,

That has to be the most aesthetically-pleasing grill I've ever seen! And your sweet pup is beautiful too!
Old 09-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbopolo View Post
Joy A,

That has to be the most aesthetically-pleasing grill I've ever seen! And your sweet pup is beautiful too!

Why thank you and Lily thanks you, too.

I forgot to say that while I carry little propane bottles for the grill, I generally attach it to the Scamp's house battery. I have a splitter on the big bottle with a long hose attached.

Is Auburn in California or some other state?? If California are you coming to Burney Falls in a couple of weeks??
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 09-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #37

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Is Auburn in California or some other state?? If California are you coming to Burney Falls in a couple of weeks??
Alabama. If it were CA, I would try to make it!
Old 09-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #38

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Somes we take the Cobb, ..... Sometimes we take the Weber little joe.

The Cobb is more versatile.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #39

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I've used this Napoleon Grill for three years now a little easyoff cleans like new. They do cost a fortune but I think of it as a one shot deal and will never need to buy another again.

Freestyle? Infrared Portable Grill
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #40

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_B View Post
Well, the one I got just after graduating collage and used almost daily (for over 15 years) till it fell apart, cost under $15! Sure would like to have one today!