possible scam..anyone been scammed by this person - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #21

Name: Bill
Trailer: Trails West
Illinois
I use this site to help me see what is for sale, but it is also a useful tool for catching overposts on Craigslist. I enjoy looking up the scams and flagging them for removal.

List of Small travel trailers for sale

Bill
Bill K Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #22

Name: Colleen
Trailer: Trillium
WA
Yep. Scam. He almost got me too -- in Seattle. Watch out for this guy.
Colleeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #23

Name: Stan Hansard
Trailer: 2004 13" Scamp
Tennessee
Craigslist is a good way to buy sell.Just like anywhere else there are scammers.You just have to use common sense.I have never had any problems.If you call the seller and ask for their address and they give you directions and the item is there then most of the time it is not a scam.Never buy anything that you have not seen with your own eyes.
stanintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #24

Name: Darron
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Just because it is on Craigslist (Who the heck is Craig? )...
Craig Newmark, who founded Craigslist. He's still around and running the company.
Doc Sarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #25

Name: Lars
Trailer: Trail-Lite
BCS
Hi,
This guy has a 09 Cougar 302RLS on Craigslist Phoenix for $12,000. I inquired and got exactly the same email replies as "flygal". This time his email address was William.Wallace54@gmail.com.
Craigslist is great, we just bought a quad in San Diego. The problem is the scammers and they can be found anywhere.
Pay attention to the info and warnings given by Craigslist and do your due diligence.
trail-lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp 16 Custom Deluxe
Washington
Registry
This very same CL ad has been running in various locations across the country. There's many many scam warnings about this ad.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #27

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
I have a related scam question:

I get no answer back in the last week when I email a Craigslist ad--one in Jacksonville, one in St. Pete's--both were good prices, but not immediate red flag scam prices. Both ads required you to email them with a phone # (they did not list their #). I emailed back the day of the ad, because I'm using CraigsPal Pro, which push notifies me of every new scamp, casita, burro, or egg within 500 miles of where I am.

Can they tell I'm just not scam material? Or did they sell their scamp or casita in one hour lol. Someone explain why I don't hear back.

There *was* a burro in Augusta I missed--it sold in one day, but the guy had listed his # and he got back to me. It was $3500 so now I understand why a burro in good shape, older, for $3500 would go in two seconds.

Thanks.
jenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks View Post
Can they tell I'm just not scam material? Or did they sell their scamp or casita in one hour lol. Someone explain why I don't hear back.
It could have been sold in that time. I just sold my Scamp and within one hour of the Craigslist had I had someone coming and another waiting to see after the first guy left. The second guy bought it that day.

Steve
skephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #29

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
There is nothing inherently wrong with Craigs List and I buy and Sell on there all the time.
What is wrong is not listening to that little voice in your gut telling you there may be a problem with a particular listing.
I would even say that if you do not have or hear that voice then CL may not be for you?

Until you hand someone cash there is no scam and if you do hand the cash over without doing all you can to be OK with it then I don't care where you are finding the rig for sale the problem is with you not the listing service.

CL is merely an outlet to find and be found for buyers and sellers,if you don't have the stomach for it then don't use it but don't trash it for others too.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
There is nothing inherently wrong with Craigs List and I buy and Sell on there all the time.
What is wrong is not listening to that little voice in your gut telling you there may be a problem with a particular listing.
I would even say that if you do not have or hear that voice then CL may not be for you?

Until you hand someone cash there is no scam and if you do hand the cash over without doing all you can to be OK with it then I don't care where you are finding the rig for sale the problem is with you not the listing service.

CL is merely an outlet to find and be found for buyers and sellers,if you don't have the stomach for it then don't use it but don't trash it for others too.
Hear, hear! I agree with Ed 100%
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Definitely run the email address on google as there is someone doing this with a 5th wheel using the exact same photo in all ads and claiming it is in several different cities. It a shame that people do this. And while "buyer beware", these people are operating in every venue and take advantage of those less aware of the all the evil in the world, especially the elderly. The AG in KS came to our town and I went to listen and he talked about different scams going on and I thought the worse was that someone uses Facebook (probably all social networks) and gets enough info to contact "Grandma" and say they are the grand kid in trouble and need money wired - one woman in the crowd said she had fell for it and lost $200.00 that she wired. I have no idea what is wrong with these people but find peace that I believe there is a hell! So, when using the internet, use all the resources you can find to check out an individual - you'll be surprised what comes up - check out yourself too because a lot more info shows up on one than one might think once you put your name on it and someone could very well be "scouting" for some evil deed they have in mind.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #32

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
We saw this same scam with an ad for a '13 ft Scamp in Tampa. We got the same "wedding" story when we emailed. Asked if there was someone who could show us the trailer....same long response. What a scumbag. We didn't fall for it.
Newfang is offline   Reply With Quote