possible scam..anyone been scammed by this person - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
Name: Brandy
Scam alert!!!!! Googles his information and see that he is trying this same thing with a guy in Texas only with a van. Scammers email is williamstromme0@gmail.com

Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #16
Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
i pity those folks who may be sucked into these scammers' bullS**T.....and there ARE those who do get screwed because this isn't something new.
thank goodness everyone here supports each other and that these scammers are "outed".

theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #17
Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Craigslist is simply a 'buyers beware' add. I will be selling my Scamp in the next month and when I do I will list it on figerglassrv.com and cragslist. It is like anything in life if it sounds too good it probably is a scam.

skephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #18
Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
I saw the ad yesterday on fiberglass-rv-4sale.com. When I looked for the ad on Craigslist Seattle today it was gone. It looked like a good deal so I thought it probably sold. I didn't think about it being a scam. I'm not in the buying mode either so didn't have to be concerned about that.

I looked at Fiberglass Rv 4 Sale again for the ad to be moved into the "sold" listings but it is no where to be found on that site. Maybe they realized or were told it was a scam. They frequently list known scams that are going around.

Hopefully someone flagged that Craiglist ad for removal. I know I did when I saw a 16-foot DeLuxe Scamp on Craigslist Spokane in the fall of 2010. The price was unbelievably low. I wanted an egg trailer so bad that I was on my way out the door with bags packed for the cross-state trip to Spokane when I remembered something I had read about scams on this site and the Fiberglass RV 4 Sale site: "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is."

I went back to the computer and like you, I googled the persons e-mail address that was in the Craigslist ad and found the same trailer listed in several cities around the U.S. I immediately flagged the ad for removal.

I had e-mailed the person about the ad and a couple days later they replied. I did not reply to them and that was the end of it.

The "wedding" excuse has been used before in other examples of scams I found on the internet. I found several sites that give examples of scams so I was able to spot them. It is very frustrating though.

The one thing I learned to do was google everyone's e-mail address or phone number if they put them in the ad. You can learn a lot by doing that. If it is a scam the person usually has multiple ads going and it will be obvious.

Fortunately a few weeks later I found my 1977 Scamp that you have referred to as the twin to your trailer.

Yes, it is me, Jeff. I was at Demming and Lynden this year.

I just unwrapped my Scamp today and put it in the garage for frame removal and new axle installation. Time to start working on it for the coming camps.
Jeff Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #19
Name: Dave
Trailer: Seeking Bigfoot 25 RB
British Columbia
Just because it is on Craigslist (Who the heck is Craig? ) does not mean it is automatically a scam. There are many scams on Kijiji, on E-Bay, in the local want ads, on the 'Community Bulletin Boards" in the church.

It has been said that you can't con (scam) an honest person - not exactly 100% true - but those who think they are pulling a fast one and getting the "deal of a lifetime" are the ones most likely to get scammed!

Naive people are easy marks, too!

To a scammer/con-man, the best marks (victims) are those who think they are too smart to get conned and those who are too naive to recognize the dangers of the real world. Either type is just "easy money in the bank" for a scammer!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #20
Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have bought several trailers and just yesterday I bought 2 ATVs from Craidslist.
NO ONE is going to sell anything for well under market price.
Several years ago this scam was common on Ebay.
If something seems wrong it usually is.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #21
Name: Bill
Trailer: Trails West
I use this site to help me see what is for sale, but it is also a useful tool for catching overposts on Craigslist. I enjoy looking up the scams and flagging them for removal.

List of Small travel trailers for sale

Bill K Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #22
Name: Colleen
Trailer: Trillium
Yep. Scam. He almost got me too -- in Seattle. Watch out for this guy.
Colleeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #23
Name: Stan Hansard
Trailer: 2004 13" Scamp
Craigslist is a good way to buy sell.Just like anywhere else there are scammers.You just have to use common sense.I have never had any problems.If you call the seller and ask for their address and they give you directions and the item is there then most of the time it is not a scam.Never buy anything that you have not seen with your own eyes.
stanintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #24
Name: Darron
Trailer: In the market
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Just because it is on Craigslist (Who the heck is Craig? )...
Craig Newmark, who founded Craigslist. He's still around and running the company.
Doc Sarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #25
Name: Lars
Trailer: Trail-Lite
This guy has a 09 Cougar 302RLS on Craigslist Phoenix for $12,000. I inquired and got exactly the same email replies as "flygal". This time his email address was William.Wallace54@gmail.com.
Craigslist is great, we just bought a quad in San Diego. The problem is the scammers and they can be found anywhere.
Pay attention to the info and warnings given by Craigslist and do your due diligence.
trail-lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #26
Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp 16 Custom Deluxe
This very same CL ad has been running in various locations across the country. There's many many scam warnings about this ad.
Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!
Dave Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #27
Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
I have a related scam question:

I get no answer back in the last week when I email a Craigslist ad--one in Jacksonville, one in St. Pete's--both were good prices, but not immediate red flag scam prices. Both ads required you to email them with a phone # (they did not list their #). I emailed back the day of the ad, because I'm using CraigsPal Pro, which push notifies me of every new scamp, casita, burro, or egg within 500 miles of where I am.

Can they tell I'm just not scam material? Or did they sell their scamp or casita in one hour lol. Someone explain why I don't hear back.

There *was* a burro in Augusta I missed--it sold in one day, but the guy had listed his # and he got back to me. It was $3500 so now I understand why a burro in good shape, older, for $3500 would go in two seconds.

jenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #28
Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Originally Posted by jenbooks View Post
Can they tell I'm just not scam material? Or did they sell their scamp or casita in one hour lol. Someone explain why I don't hear back.
It could have been sold in that time. I just sold my Scamp and within one hour of the Craigslist had I had someone coming and another waiting to see after the first guy left. The second guy bought it that day.

skephart is offline   Reply With Quote