potty solution?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Quote:
I must be doing something wrong with our Thetford 135, as I can't seem to be able to empty it without making a small mess. The waste just .. um, well... gushes out, and there is always a bit of splashing involved especially when dumping into a toilet. Bad technique, or lack of practice?

The secret to pouring out of ANY full container with an offset spout, is to position the spout on the top facing up and remove the cap. Mine has the carry handle on this side.

Then pour into the toilet bowl, tilting the container sideways towards the flat position and the spout pours out of the side. You will find that it comes out in a controllable stream. If the container is VERY full, tilt the container so that the spout is higher.

Then rinse that sucker out. There usually is a spigot for this purpose near the restroom at any campsite.

If you try to pour by tilting the spout down, the contents will overflow the spout and be uncontrollable.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Good to know as both Kirk and I are completely new to using one of the potties. Thanks!! We are hunting for a good one now, I have seen a few low priced ones on ebay, but I am worried they won't be as good as the name brand ones, maybe not be as leak proof or keep the smell in etc... does anyone have any experience with an off brand potti?
Attached Thumbnails
18toi001_chh20l_09.jpg  
Attached Images

April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #23

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
The secret to pouring out of ANY full container with an offset spout, is to ...
Weird... I tried various angles, and have tried with the vent button closed or pushed open with mitigated results. If the tank is more than about 3/4 full you take the risk of having waste leaking from the vent button , and I have yet to find the magical angle to hold it at in order to prevent it from splurting. Maybe I should print out your explanation and practice with a tank full of water... or three.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #24

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Portapoties are awful experience especially for the dumper (me). The chemicals are worse than the deposit.
The solution is the little plastic urinals that the hospitals give away if you are a patient.
I and my mate have no trouble filling them in the middle of the night.
Solid waste is done when the urge hits, during the day.
I find a discrete way to dump the urnial-in the bathroom disguised by a towel lcover or into a far bush
without being seen.
Peeing in a 13' trailer has to have finesse and skill but the result is no stink and no smells.
The envroment is not harmed.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #25

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
After attending my first rally this past week, and being amazed at how the Casita owners mostly all used their bathrooms - (they were just as amazed at my who DIDN'T use her port-potty/privacy room) I could only say "I saw the movie RV - that alone made me not ever want to empty any holding tank or porta-potty!!"

In all our camping trips, and we go just about every-other weekend, I've only had to get up 3 times to use 'the woods'. That kind of ratio, I'll do without a porta potty. Me-personally - probably won't ever boon-dock as there's not many places here in Central Ohio to do such a thing. I understand it's a bit different out west.

Gosh, I don't cook in it, use water in it or pee in it - we just sleep in it. Guess I'm not using it to it's full capability?? Yet with the pending winter just a couple months away, I don't have to worry about winterizing it since it still has anti-freeze in it from last year!
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I have my porta-potty as backup for sickness or foul weather, preferring to use the CG potty whenever possible. I have a laundry detergent jug, with the pour spout cut out, to use as a 'Yellow-Water Tank' and I just pour it into the toilet (be it flush, vault or pit) in the morning. Using the jug (free at laundromat in trash) keeps the pot from filling up fast.

I also have had troubles with splashing when trying to empty the porta-potty, so I try to use CG dumps, marina dumps, etc., in preference to toilets.

I use the brand name Thetford and Wally usually has the best price. Be aware that some pots are taller than others and won't fit under the front bunk, so being able to return it for a different one may be important.

I use the enzyme-based additives from Wally in the pot as they break the solids down pretty fast and don't have as obnoxious an odor as the original stuf.

I keep my toilet paper in a properly sized coffee tin so that I can take it to the CG toilet in the rain without destroying it.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:26 PM   #27

What is Wally?

Quote:
I use the brand name Thetford and Wally usually has the best price. Be aware that some pots are taller than others and won't fit under the front bunk, so being able to return it for a different one may be important.

I use the enzyme-based additives from Wally in the pot as they break the solids down pretty fast and don't have as obnoxious an odor as the original stuf.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:40 PM   #28

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
Quote:
What is Wally?
Wally = WalMart. AKA 'Wally World'
Old 09-23-2008, 11:32 PM   #29

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
No problem dumping the Thetford 135. It's all in the wrist......
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:30 AM   #30

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Quote:
No problem dumping the Thetford 135. It's all in the wrist......

Beer = porta potty.. Must have
Dan V Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:52 AM   #31

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
If you really want to keep it simple use an old fashion "slop jar", chamber pot, etc.! That is what we used everynight when I was a kid. You take the lid off, go, put the lid on, come morning, you take the handle and head to the out house, toilet, whatever. Dump and flush. You can dump fast or slow.

If you lose the lid down an outhouse, just use and old magazine for a lid! Ask me how I know.

The modern version of this metal pot would be those inexpensive hassock type toilets that have a bucket in them. They used to sell those at Walmart also. You can even put a good trash bag in them, dump the yuk and toss the bag.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #32

Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
... You can even put a good trash bag in them, dump the yuk and toss the bag...
This is not sanitary and is actually illegal.

UNLESS.... you treat the urnin and fecal matter with a substance that makes it no longer toxic. No I dont sell the stuff anymore but you can buy it yourself from anyone that sells Phillips Environmental line of products. (PETT). The powder is actually called Poo Powder.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:03 AM   #33

Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
Unless the wag-bag is bio-degradable, you may have a hard time disposing of it....
The bag is the least of the worry. It's the toxic human waste inside that is the problem. We are nasty creatures that deficate lots of toxins (medicines, food preservatives etc etc)

BUT....WAG bags are legal to dispose of in a trash container because the chemical content breaks down all that and the fecal matter and urine into salts that are non toxic to the environment.

Wag bag's are one of the PETT products. It' simply a quality zip lock bag with the right measure of their Poo powder in it.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #34

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Ok, gotta share my wisdom about my porta potti. A couple of yrs. ago my girlfriend and I went to the Yukon. I made the deal if she cooked the whole 6000 mi. I would empty the porta potti. Dumber than dumber. Little did I realize that she would use it even when we were close to the washroom. The first time in emptying it in an outdoor toilet I couldn't figure out how to put that white plastic pipe that screws underneath. So----whoosh, yup on the floor on my shoes. Gf is outside of the door watching for any campers needing to use to toilet. I am yelling for paper towels !! Word's of wisdom, before initially heading out on the road practice emptying it before you go. Bonnie
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #35

This may sound a little strange, but I am soooooo glad I found this topic. We will definitely practice emptying it using just water before we ever use it! I also like the "yellow water" container idea, that will make the porta last way longer if we used one of those. One of my biggest hang ups when camping is waking up in the middle of the night, haveing to go. Thanks for all the good advice.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #36

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Quote:
Unless the wag-bag is bio-degradable, you may have a hard time disposing of it.
The wag bags ARE biodegradeble and are approved for disposal in a landfill. I have used them and they are a great solution to dry camping. As to the cost, you can easily use one bag two or three times for liquid waste only. This makes them more economical. We plan on using a combination of a Thetford Porta-Potti and the wag bags for boondocking. (Now all we need is a fiberglass egg instead of the "sticky" we're using in the meantime!)
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:59 PM   #37

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Can you cite the statutes for any state(s) that ban the disposal of excrement in the trash?

Someone made the same statement on rv.net a year or so back, and when rebutted neither they nor anyone else could come up with an actual law that said so. It left the impression that the belief is just a bit of mistaken folklore.

People dump their used kitty litter in the municipal trash all the time. There's not much difference if people use the kitty litter in their personal "camping bucket" or chamber pot and then dispose it in the dumpster.

If it really is illegal, it would be good to know! I don't want to go to the slammer. (Not sure what we would then do with what our cat leaves behind, though...)
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #38

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
I didn't suggest you throw the bag full of toilet yuk into the dumpster. I meant you could tip up the bucket and bag and dump the stuff from the bucket and bag into the toilet and throw and empty bag away. There might be some moisture attached to the bag but there would be far less nasty than a dirty diaper. I would just rinse the bucket, but I was thinking of a scenario where water might be at a premium. I have never thrown any kind of bag of "stuff" into the trash. Terry R
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #39

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Quote:

Millions of parents are going to jail for improper (insert disposable diaper brand here) disposal.

You wanna talk toxic waste? Yellow baby poop; the major component of which is some as yet unknown byproduct of formula.

Sorry for the tangent, but like someone else posted, I'd like a linky to a statute of some sort.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #40

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
Not sure what we would then do with what our cat leaves behind, though...
It and the litter burn well. I "clean" my cat box once a day at the campsite into my firepit. There is no trace of litter or Almond Rocha after the evenings fire.

I wouldn't dump it and leave it for the next camper tho.

As for the dogs.. it gets picked up in a sea breeze fresh bag and put in the dumpster. I wish all other dog mommies and daddies did the same.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote