Pretty good deals on 16-22 ft. Airstreams - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-29-2017, 10:13 AM   #1

Name: Dale
Trailer: currently shopping
Florida
Pretty good deals on 16-22 ft. Airstreams

I'm still convinced that fiberglass is the way to go on a used trailer but it seems prices keep going up unless you happen upon a good deal which is usually in another state and goes fast.

So been considering an Airstream although know there's more maintenance to the outside and a bit heavier so would need a stronger tow vehicle.

Does anyone have any other advice on this matter?

Thank you,
Dale
Dale in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:01 PM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Both fiberglass and Airstream can have floor rot issues and older Airstream are as bad as any Scamp, etc.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:06 PM   #3

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale in Florida View Post
Does anyone have any other advice on this matter?

Thank you,
Dale
I have an opinion. I think you should buy the trailer that you like. It will be the centerpiece of a bunch of your photos and it should be the one you like to look at.

I found my Scamp in two days, and only 20 miles from me, so I don't seem to share that experience of not being able to find one. Not sure if I overpaid, I spent $4,000 on a 1992 13 footer.

If your current vehicle will tow a fiberglass trailer then that's another good reason to stick with fiberglass, no added expense with getting another tow vehicle. I was surprised to see the current pricing of full-sized trucks, quite high in my opinion, but maybe prices are higher in Calif.

Keep us posted on what you decide. Just make sure it's what you like.

Here's mine:
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:21 PM   #4

Florida
Thanks for the help thus far. The two aluminum Airstreams I've seen are an '08 and '15. I don't yet have a tow vehicle and used trucks are also high priced here in Florida, was told there are better deals up north but then there's the issue of getting it.
Guess the floor is something you always have to check out.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:05 PM   #5

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Have you looked at this website? Not sure your price range or exact location, but there are several listed in the Florida/Georgia area.

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...ilers-for-sale
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:45 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Hard to say for sure, but we may be in the season now when many owners sell their trailers after a Summer of use. Likewise, there may be an uptick in demand in the Spring. As far as new models, there seem to be year around waiting lists. I see no signs they are getting shorter. Airstream is bringing new production of several small models on-line. They are pretty proud of them $.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:55 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
I love the look of the airstream, I don't like their maintance and I don't like their high prices. go for it if you like them!!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:16 PM   #8

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
A new Airstream Bambi we saw locally was selling for $50,000.00. We looked else where
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Ever seen an Airstream after a really bad hailstorm? I went thru one that destroyed my plastic vent covers but didn't mark the fiberglass.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:39 PM   #10

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
I bought a 25' Airstream that was 3 yrs. at the time. Drove from Dallas to Salt Lake to pick it up. Owner said the back glass had a small leak and he replaced the rear glass gasket and thought all should be well. Made it back to New Mexico before running into rain. Still leaked. Had it for 6 yrs. and never did get it to stop leaking. Had it pressurized two times to find the leak and it never showed up. Also caulked every rivet on top. And yes, I did get caught in a hail storm and had to have the back cap replaced. Luckily, insurance helped out. On the positive side, loved the way it pulled. Also, after keeping it for 6 yrs., I sold it for withing a $1000 of what i gave for it. Was looking for a new larger A/S when the wife discovered what a difference a 20' slide out made in floor space in a Carriage. Kept it 5 yrs. and it eat me up. First 30 months I had it, it was in the shop 15 months. The last year, it was in the shop for 8 months. No more slide outs for me. But I had problems with almost everything including the slide out. Was upside down and took a huge hit just to get rid of it. Filed for the Lemon Law in Tx. and won the judgement but Carriage went out of business the same week, so all I got was to be able to say "I won". Have not regretted down sizing to the 17' Casita at all. Would do it again.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:50 AM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
airstreams and such

Show me the prefect trailer and I will buy it no I am not paying 50k for a Bambi I guess people are!

I gave 5k for our 13f Scamp found it in one week bought it the next sight unseen. I have no regrets it fits our needs exactly sometimes hanker for a b/r but then a walmart or convience store shows up end of that.

I sold my A-Liner for more than I paid for it but I did put improvements into it so I consider I did good.

Anything you buy is going to have maintance even a new one but I think about my neighbor 60k truck 70k 5th wheel oh he built a custom garage for it too. I wonder who is truly happy him or me.

Me no payments him who knows but he has all new and the motel on wheels! He unhooks spends a good hour doing that then hits the 5er to watch tv all eve. then day or 2 later out emptying his tanks all the mess!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #12

Florida
Smile Airstream vs. fiberglass trailers

Thank you to everyone who responded to my thread. I've pretty much decided as I did before that fiberglass is the way to go, especially after hearing of problems people have had with Airstreams. Nothing is perfect for sure but I'm hoping to find a nice used fiberglass trailer soon.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Oliver
Florida
Hi Dale, I started out with a used 2008 Bambi. It was really cool to look at and drew a lot of attention at camp sites. Unfortunately it leaked like a seive. I also had a blowout on the road with the little trailer tires that were on it. The wheel well would not accept a larger tire. While on a six week out west I discovered Oliver’s. I sold the Airstream two weeks after arriving home. I managed to buy a 2008 used Oliver. I never looked back. I have been so happy with the Oliver that after owning it for over five years I sold it and picked up a newer Oliver Legacy Elite. Almost no maintenance and everything is built to last. No wood, mounded in cabinets no rivets, marine grade hardware, aluminum frame, lifted with quad shocks made it a no brained for me. I like to be off the beaten path when possible and this egg was designed for that.
hellsbay988 is offline   Reply With Quote