Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Donna, Great Stickers !!

Asianwolf.com sells motion sensors.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Sometimes vehicles and trailers are stolen to order and, in some cases, storage yards can be the easiest place to steal from for reasons ranging from lax security to "Inside" help for the crooks. My Mustang convert was stolen out of a locked garage in a large, locked, storage complex.
If you remove the wheels, and your RV is on the order list, they will just show up with a set of wheels and tires and, in 10 minutes it's gone with the wind. RV's in storage yards can have the disadvantage that the perps have all the time in the world to scope out the property and work on their schedule. And if you take it out, they know it will be back.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #17
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014 V6 Jeep Cherokee
Minnesota
Registry
I really like Donnas stickers!
I was going to do the cable lock through the wheels until I ran across this. Sure if they are dead set on taking the trailer all they have to do is change the tire but if they are willing to go through all that then nothing would stop them.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaJill View Post
Since reading about all the egg thefts on this forum I decided I needed something more secure than a padlock. I have done some internet searching and decided to order a Brahma Wheel Lock. Does anyone have one of these?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Just as a point of reassurance... Your statement is pretty close to right when you say you have read about "ALL" the egg thefts on this forum.
Pretty close to all of them have been reported here.
Considering the actual number of confirmed thefts... I would say that you should be at least a hundred times more concerned about keeping the window tracks clean!

If you are concerned though... Stamp a couple extra vin #s in inconspicuous places on the frame or elsewhere.
I would think one very likely thief might be someone who would "rebadge" the stolen trailer to match a title to an unrestorable trailer which they now own.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #19

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
I really like Donnas stickers!
I was going to do the cable lock through the wheels until I ran across this. Sure if they are dead set on taking the trailer all they have to do is change the tire but if they are willing to go through all that then nothing would stop them.
You can buy a lug nut lock set which would allow you to lock both wheels and the spare in place and have one lock left over!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #20

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I had a neighbour that worked for a utility trailer maker as a welder. He changed out the coupler on his boat trailer to work like the 2" reciever on our TV's. Picture a reversed straight stinger that slides into the trailer tongue with the coupler ball on the other end. Always thought that was a pretty good design that would keep all but the most determend from stealing it.
How does this work? Isn't the weight of the trailer trying to pull the ball down out of the coupler? Or are they both "upside down"? Personally I just left the 1 7/8" hitch on my Scamp. I figure it will pi** off any thief enough that he will leave empty handed out of pure disgust. I do use a coupler lock (ball and yoke) and a padlock type lock as well. I figure most the stolen little trailers end up in the woods as hunting shacks. They are not out running the roads.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #21

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Put a sign on the door, Condemned due to Bed Bugs.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
How does this work? Isn't the weight of the trailer trying to pull the ball down out of the coupler? Or are they both "upside down"? Personally I just left the 1 7/8" hitch on my Scamp. I figure it will pi** off any thief enough that he will leave empty handed out of pure disgust. I do use a coupler lock (ball and yoke) and a padlock type lock as well. I figure most the stolen little trailers end up in the woods as hunting shacks. They are not out running the roads.
Well Tim, he cut off the original trailer coupler and fabricated a 2" reciever in it's place. Looked like the recievers on our TV's. Made up a stinger that pin locks into the trailer reciever just like the TV stingers do and had the ball coupler on the end. The whole thing was about a foot long. He kept the coupler in the garage until he needed it. I did a double take the first time I saw his trailer. When he explained it to me it made pretty good sence. I think some of the Oliver trailers have a sliding tungue, same type design but different reason.
Wish I had taken a pic cuz I'm sure I made this as clear as mud
Old 07-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I figure most the stolen little trailers end up in the woods as hunting shacks. They are not out running the roads.
I think hunters are getting a bad rap here. I've been hunting 50+ years and have never come across any other hunters that steal trailers to hunt out of. Meth labs may be a far more likely scenario. Hunters are no more likely to steal RV's than any other group.

Tom
Old 07-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #24

Name: Richard
Trailer: Trillium 1300 Nor'Easter Egg '06 Ranger Supercab 3.0L auto
Newfoundland
Send a message via Skype™ to Richard Hayes
Discouraging Opportunistic Thieves...

is relatively easy - the mantra is make 'em take time, make 'em make noise, make 'em bring tools. That discourages the casuals - I use a hitch ball lock and a hitch lever padlock - they'll need time, tools and privacy to sort those out. If I wanted to add another layer of frustration, I'd go with a 1/4 SS 1x19 cable sized to loop thru each wheel, with a bloody great padlock joining two swaged eyes tucked under the trailer - they'll need the mother of all wire cutters to hack thru the 1x19 or the padlock hasp, and using it on your back under the trailer would be next to impossible. To discourage kayak thieves, a friend who does yacht rigging made me a 1/4 1x19 SS wire loop, with eyes swaged into each end, one small enough to pass thru the other - the small eye passes thru a strong point on the boat, around the rack, thru the big eye, then has both ends tucked inside the vehicle's rear door before padlocking the eyes together and locking the vehicle. They'd have to bust up the boat, destroy the rack, and break a window to get my VK, and there's easier pickings around...

Stopping a pro who has time, tools, privacy and motivation is another matter entirely, but you can still make the SOB work for it!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #25

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Put a sign on the door, Condemned due to Bed Bugs.

Nice!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:36 PM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I've just about convinced myself to quit worrying about this. Otherwise I'd be hurling in a waste basket every few minutes. Do the best you can to secure your trailer, buy good insurance, then step away and focus on future travels.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:23 AM   #27

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Insure it, lock the hitch, maybe the wheels too. I'm torn between the bar wheel lock posted by Sid and the cable joining the two wheels. The bar because of it's visibility would cause some thieves to move on to easier pickings. The cable is more of a surprise it's not moving moment or a darn this is going to be harder and take longer than we thought.

If you have the option of setting an eye bolt in some concrete to chain the trailer tongue to it is one more thing to cut. A 4 inch battery powered grinder with cut off wheel will go through any of this fairly quickly but the more there is to cut the longer it will take. And those grinders are noisy and generate a spray of sparks.

Now is a good time to remind folks that collecting the prices from the trailer for sale threads and fiberglassrv.com site will help you prove the value if you have to file an insurance claim. Our FG campers hold value much better than most campers so it may take some proof to convince an insurance company that your 20 year old camper is really worth the current market price. Collecting price during peak season will give you the best prices if you have to file a claim.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #28

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
One thing I have going for me is there are a lot newer, bigger, and better looking Travel Trailers in my neighborhood if a thief is "shopping". If however they are looking specifically for an egg, well I am it.