Preventing camper theft - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-27-2014, 12:06 AM   #29

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
My Brahma Wheel Lock arrived by mail. I am impressed.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Old 08-02-2014, 09:46 PM   #30

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Here's a guy who knows what to do:

Stealing Camper in the Middle of the Night Should’ve Been Easy Pickings. Except for the 75-Year-Old Owner Sleeping Inside It — and His Handgun. | Video | TheBlaze.com

Old 08-03-2014, 05:21 AM   #31

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Good for him!

Tom
Old 08-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #32

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I'm a little concerned that he was trying to shoot around a door while hanging out of a moving trailer. You shoot only at what you can see and identify as a target was what I was taught. The exception might be someone in those bushes is shooting at me I guess I'll shoot back at those bushes. With some thought to what is behind those bushes such as a neighbors house etc.

The other issue is the woman in the truck that is reported to have been unaware that this was a crime. While I am skeptical of that, thinking it is more likely that she was aware but is more useful to prosecution of the main criminal as a witness than a co-conspirator. It is possible she thought they were just picking up a camper and it was all legit. That woman was just as likely to be hit by the trailer owners gunfire as the thief. That also seems like an argument that shooting without clear aim on the driver was poor judgment

I'm glad the thief is known and will be apprehended. Me I would like to think I would have been rational enough to just sit there looking out the window and telling police on the phone which way we were going. Never having been in the situation I don't know how I would have reacted but would like to think I would have been a little more thoughtful.

If we stopped and I was confronted by the thief the pistol in the hand not holding the phone would have been reassuring. If I was just kidnapped from my own driveway in my own camper I would say the perpetrator of that crime could be reasonably assumed to be a threat to my life if confronted. What happens next depends on them.

Heck if I walked out to see what was that noise and found someone stealing something from the garage or driveway I would assume the thief or thieves were a threat until proven otherwise. Best way to prove they are not a threat would be to lay face down, hands behind head and wait for the police to arrive.

One more reason to love the Scamp with the big front window, better line of sight if trapped in your trailer while it is being stolen.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #33

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
RogerDat said: You shoot only at what you can see and identify.

That's why when I was growing up in IOWA some farmers would paint COW on the sides of their Cows so the city folks would be Be able to identify them and hopefully not shoot them thinking they were deer.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #34

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Considering the huge number of stolen fiberglass trailers, I think I'll just enjoy camping. I do keep the trailer locked with a chain and a hitch lock when it's next to the house. Plus I have a motion detector that tells when anybody is near the tong. From what I've read most of the problems, (all ??? I think I count them on fingers and still have some left over) occur when trailer is stored.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #35

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
RogerDat said: You shoot only at what you can see and identify.

That's why when I was growing up in IOWA some farmers would paint COW on the sides of their Cows so the city folks would be Be able to identify them and hopefully not shoot them thinking they were deer.
I heard some of those city slickers were too dumb to read COW but that putting $1,500 on the side usually did the trick.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #36

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Non-standard hitch

Scamp 19' "fifth wheel" is not a standard fifth wheel, nor is it a gooseneck; what is it? That makes it somewhat safer, I hope, and I also use a padlock on the coupler latch. I believe that by law the latch must be secured with a bolt or pin, so why not a padlock.
I do like Donna's sticker - very clever!
Old 08-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #37

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Do ABSOLUTELY, whatever YOU NEED to do that allows you to get a good night's sleep. Insurance, extra insurance, decals, motion detectors... whatever. Owning an all molded travel trailer is supposed to be fun... not stressful! R E L A X!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #38

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
How true!
Old 08-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #39

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
There are the few (a couple good friends included ) that are constantly concerned with 'dangers' that potentially exist. I don't think some people of this type ever fully relax unfortunately. But definitely do whatever it takes to make your experience as enjoyable for you as you can.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote