Price Comparison: Scamp, Casita, Escape - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-03-2015, 04:16 PM   #57

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I own a 13' Scamp but have more reasons than "size" for Escape to be my next or WOULD be my first trailer if I had it to do over. FAR less "RIVETS" to deal with. I like the more "modern" look over the old "retro" look of the Scamp AND Casita. The only "negative" that I have on the Escape from what I've seen, I personally like the "rat fur" over the "elephant hide". But as will all RV's, I dont think there's a "perfect" one out there that will fulfill 100% desires of any purchaser.

And finally, the pricing is close to Scamp/Casita now with the exchange rates.
I too own a Scamp13. It is the perfect size and I can think of no reason to trade.
Of course it was not my first trailer and mine has far fewer rivets than yours.
Actually I can hardly wait to hear your commentary once you get an Escape!
As for "modern" over "retro"... remember the Escape started life with the molds from a thirty year old Trillium.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #58

Trailer: Casita
Maine
Oh snap! Totally forgot about the fact that some might prefer the small size. Glad I don't have to worry about the choices there!

Old 08-03-2015, 07:01 PM   #59

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
There are tremendous advantages to a tiny trailer, no doubt about it. I like the fact that some manufacturers offer a larger option, but for us, the Escape 19 was as big as we were willing to go - not because we couldn't tow a larger trailer (our truck can tow 8100 lbs no problem) but because for us the whole idea of downsizing and "egg" trailers is kind of moot when you go larger. Aesthetics did play a part. We think we got it just right, but just right has a different definition for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #60

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
: you all molded-towable-owners will figure this out, honestly.

I started a long time ago... still own an oldy-but-goody Scamp 16. BUT, long term, months out camping not a weekend/vacation camper)... wrong LAYOUT.

After all the years, and thinking AHEAD, I truly believe I've figured it out... YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:47 PM   #61
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
Is it possible that some people choose Escape, maybe not so much by preference, but due to the fact that Casita or Scamp don't make a large enough trailer to fit their needs?
We moved from a Casita 17LD to an Escape 21 because none of the 5 of the fiberglass manufacturers in the US would accommodate a slight design modification for the bed area so that wifey could have an inclined bed for medical reasons. Tammy and Reace (co-owners of Escape Trailers) were very willing to work with us, and referred me to their mattress supplier to have a custom mattress built, credited me their cost for not using their mattress, sent drawings and worked with their supplier to get my custom mattress built and delivered to their factory without my further involvement at no added cost.

THAT defines customer care in my opinion. Plus the trailer is far better built than my Casita was, and I'm a very picky retired mechanical engineer.

It's not always about cost. In my case, it's quality and commitment to the customer.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:57 PM   #62

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Charlie, EXLNT post. Sure would like to see more companies of any kind have that kind of response to their customers needs and wishes. I'll put a big plus next to their name for future reference.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:30 AM   #63

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Good points Charlie. One that caught my attention the most: "Plus the trailer is far better built than my Casita was....."

Can you elaborate on that for us? I'm VERY interested and respect your opinion....or better still....your EXPERIENCE! (You've owned both the Casita and Escape now) Thanks for your post.

Regardless of how "Old" the molds are, Tammy and Reece have a nice-shaped FG trailer with more modern striping, LED lights, etc.... just from outward observance....thus less of the "retro" look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post

THAT defines customer care in my opinion. Plus the trailer is far better built than my Casita was, and I'm a very picky retired mechanical engineer.

It's not always about cost. In my case, it's quality and commitment to the customer.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:10 AM   #64

Name: Mr
Trailer: small
State
I am always interested in the details, too. I am very much a quality-oriented person, and I sometimes go a long way for the little things that matter in my head. But, a statistical quality advantage is not always noticeable in the real world.

So, let's not lose perspective -- Casita, Scamp, Boler, and on and on -- we have hundreds of them represented on this site that are DECADES old. I could go out today and buy a 30-year-old FGRV, and use it for the rest of my life. Quality is relative, and there is a law of diminishing returns.

Would I consider rivets to be a quality issue? Yes. Would I prefer to have no rivets? Yes. Do rivets make Scamp a junky camper? Clearly not - Scamp is an excellent camper, as evidenced by their average longevity and loyal following. From that perspective, all of these brands are on the same or better quality scale as AirStream, Spartan, or any of the world-class RVs throughout history.

We have the luxury of picking what matters to us. Hate rivets? You have choices. Don't care about rivets, but hate square corners? You have choices. Hate customizing things? Or, hate having decisions made for you? You have choices. Aren't we blessed?!
Old 08-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #65

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Good points Charlie. One that caught my attention the most: "Plus the trailer is far better built than my Casita was....."

Can you elaborate on that for us? I'm VERY interested and respect your opinion....or better still....your EXPERIENCE! (You've owned both the Casita and Escape now) Thanks for your post.

Regardless of how "Old" the molds are, Tammy and Reece have a nice-shaped FG trailer with more modern striping, LED lights, etc.... just from outward observance....thus less of the "retro" look.
It wasn't "old" to which I responded it was "modern"...

Old 08-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #66
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:

I think the Escapes are more thoroughly designed and details well executed. The customer also gets weekly (or more) pictures of their trailer being built, which I found invaluable for knowing where all the wiring, drains, etc were located. There are plenty of wooden anchor blocks fiberglassed in place for attaching the cabinets, framing, and real plywood is used as the base floor instead of OSB. All wiring is off the floor and secured to framing. Drain holes are provided in a "French Drain" perimeter drain design - should water somehow find it's way in, it won't puddle up - there are exits.

Customization - I sent the stereo and speakers I wanted, and I wanted the stereo mounted at 45 degrees under the cabinet across from the the doorway. Photo sent to show how they mounted it. I wanted an antenna jack moved from a stock location to under the cabinet so I could hide the cable better. Done! I wanted my cellphone trucker antenna mounted over a cabinet so I could easily replace it should it ever break. Done! Sent them a rear view wireless camera to install - Done!
Attached Thumbnails
Wk1 shell.jpg   wk2 074.JPG  

wiring4.JPG   underbath wiring space.JPG  

Old 08-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #67

Tennessee
Thanks Charlie...good explanation and nice pictures. I REALLY like the "during construction" photos! As you say, they will be invaluable if you ever want to make changes or add things and to be able to see where/how the wiring is run, etc.

I'd like to see more on this "French Drain" information - if it was available of course. I've never heard of that before. Someone on this forum just posted a "BigFoot" trailer with rot in the middle of the floor and they're not sure why yet. Sounds like maybe this may have been a benefit for this trailer in this case.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:47 PM   #68
Commercial Member

Oregon
When I was inspecting my Escape at the factory prior to pickup, I was looking underneath at the wiring for the tank probe/sensors and noticed the entire perimeter (about 4 inches all the way around) was slightly dished downward - had to be by design. When I asked about that, the tech pointed out the drain holes around the perimeter and said that area was the lowest point of the shell, and allowed any water that intruded to run down the "gutter" and exit through a drain hole.

Attached pic taken just behind the passenger side mud flap after the rear axle; I wiped the road dirt away so you could tell where the drain hole is located. The "gutter" perimeter is basically round, like half a pipe, while the flat floor to the left of the trailer frame is bolted down with the shell.

I called it a "French Drain" because that is the term used in house construction. My 1902 house has one in the basement floor; the exit point is connected to a pipe that runs about 30 ft down a hill and drains into a field.
Attached Thumbnails
Drain_Hole.jpg  

Old 08-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #69

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Current conversion rate

We went ahead and sent a check for $15,000 US to Escape late last week. Today they deposited it with a conversion rate of $1.2980, so translates to $19,470 Canadian...wow. We may have to send them some more at this rate.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #70

Tennessee
WOW...yall making me want to order an Escape and I dont even need it!

I bet yall still pull them up online and look at'm and read about'm all the time doncha? I know we did when we had our Scamp on order.... rode around campgrounds and still looked.... hey...we STILL do that.

In fact, we rode down to Ardmore, TN this past Friday evening and visited the new Bankston's dealership there then went over and ate at a buffet. Fun time. Come to think of it... this "rv'ing" business can be addictive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
We went ahead and sent a check for $15,000 US to Escape late last week. Today they deposited it with a conversion rate of $1.2980, so translates to $19,470 Canadian...wow. We may have to send them some more at this rate.

Tags
casita, escape, scamp

« FRV Benefit | BUGS »