Price Comparison: Scamp, Casita, Escape - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #71

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Yep Darral, I'm still on here everyday. I even still look in the classifieds, just because And Saturday I drove through the campground down at Henry Horton SP just looking at campers.

I was very excited when I saw the conversion rate that they got, because I was expecting around 1.24 on it, so that is awesome. Saved me a few extra hundred dollars. We are going to reach out to you soon and come see your scamp, and start learning more about these fiberglass rigs. Teresa has been canning the past few weeks, so we've not had any free time, but things are starting to slow down.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #72

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
I've also decided that if we win the lottery between now and next August, we are going to cancel the order for the 17B and order a 19. So you can have our place in line of we do

Old 08-11-2015, 03:07 PM   #73

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Haha..that would be TEMPTING my friend! But I can see my wife when I tell her the Scamp's going on the market and we have a new Escape being built Wife = . But I know her and she would want to keep BOTH. She's partial to the little Scamp, the fun we've had in it and the friends we've made because of it. GREAT conversation piece! Wow.

Just let me know when you guys are ready to come over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
I've also decided that if we win the lottery between now and next August, we are going to cancel the order for the 17B and order a 19. So you can have our place in line of we do
Old 08-15-2015, 11:08 PM   #74

Name: Santiago
Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Anaheim California
Hello everyone, nice to be back. When I joined the forum back in 2004, I learned the advantages of molded fiberglass over the stickies I had in past years.

Mind you, there was no Escape then, I liked both Casita and Scamp. Unfortunately both have similar construction designs : rat fur, OSB floors and those rivets that drip condensation.

Over the years I grew to have a strong dislike for absorption RV fridges and asked Casita to delete theirs and that I would install my own electric. No can do I was told. I knew that by eliminating the roof vent I could park the trailer in my garage, so I asked to save time and money by not cutting the square hole in the roof and to keep the vent. To my amazement, "no can do" incredulously I asked why. I was told the floor workers are used to cutting the square hole and can not stop doing so.

Off to Scamp where they gave me my few simple requests that saved them money and labor. What's more they made me a happy camper. I have been storing my 2005 Scamp 13 in my garage ever since.

Retiring soon and will take tons of long trips, after many wonderful memories with our Scamp 13, we will be ordering an Escape 21ft next month when we visit the factory.

We love our Scamp, rivets and all but we will be traveling like never before unlike travelling while holding a job with a couple of weeks here and there. If we take the full time plunge later, we are certain it will be in the 21ft.

Oh yes, Escape will allow me to install an electric refrigerator.

Santiago and Kim in Anaheim
Old 08-15-2015, 11:43 PM   #75

Tennessee
How ANYBODY can say they "love" the Scamp rivets makes NO sense to me at all!!
Old 08-15-2015, 11:52 PM   #76

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post

It's like a picture and a painting. The picture is an almost perfect copy while a painting has its defects, yet the painting is worth more. Sometimes they are even priceless!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-15-2015, 11:57 PM   #77

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
How anyone can constantly second guess a system which has proven itself for nearly 45 years makes no sense at all.
It would seem though that adhesive technology would have obviated both the old reliable rivets and REWFS (rotting encapsulated wood fastening systems) by now.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:57 PM   #78

Anaheim California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
It's like a picture and a painting. The picture is an almost perfect copy while a painting has its defects, yet the painting is worth more. Sometimes they are even priceless!
Exactly ! Scamp has character, it's still an icon with Boler DNA.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:16 AM   #79

Tennessee
Escape and others HAVE "OBVIATED" most of the goofy rivets by now. Why do you think you see SO many people on this forum jumping to and choosing Escape as their trailer of choice? Didnt the OP say that "Escape" wasnt a choice back then?? I wish they'd been around or I'd known about them before I bought my Scamp.

Scamp HAS made some much-needed changes over the past couple of years but they need to make MORE changes.

You wish to be buried in your Scamp....you've said as much. I dont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
How anyone can constantly second guess a system which has proven itself for nearly 45 years makes no sense at all.
It would seem though that adhesive technology would have obviated both the old reliable rivets and REWFS (rotting encapsulated wood fastening systems) by now.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:56 AM   #80

Anaheim California
Quote:
You wish to be buried in your Scamp....you've said as much. I dont.
Darral, I think you are not being fair to Floyd saying such nonsense. Floyd strikes me as a serious man and I respect his opinions and his fondness of the Scamp design as he makes a good argument regarding the hardiness of rivet construction.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:06 AM   #81

Tennessee
Dont get worked up in a lather over it. Floyd and I have sat in person and argued many times... over Ford/Chevy's...and what have you. And he DID say that btw. No big deal. Enjoy your "Escape".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Darral, I think you are not being fair to Floyd saying such nonsense. Floyd strikes me as a serious man and I respect his opinions and his fondness of the Scamp design as he makes a good argument regarding the hardiness of rivet construction.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:08 AM   #82

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
There's nothing inherently wrong with rivets, other than a maintenance issue. There's just better attachment systems for all-molded-towables. If there wasn't progress in manufacturing, we'd all be driving Model T's! Yes, those vehicles worked well, but aren't we all glad Ford and other manufacturers decided to do better? I think it's the same with eggs. Modern manufacturers are doing better and constantly look for methods of improvement. In the end, it gets down to tug capability, budget and needed layout. They're all good! Just different...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:40 AM   #83

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Value has different definitions for different people. Fastening systems are a part of the value equation, but only a part. Scamp builds a quality trailer, with good value for the money. The rivet fastening system is tried and true for many decades now, and works well. The fact that the Escape doesn't use them wasn't the main reason I chose it. The two biggest factors for me were customization options and company reputation. I placed more value there. Do I think the fiberglassed block mounting is a better method? Sure. But, it comes at a premium, and that is always a consideration.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #84

Trailer: Escape
Maine
So there will never be an issue of the wood supports rotting in an Escape? That's one thing I have wondered. Specially since they are not completely covered in fiberglass when attached to the outer shell.

Tags
casita, escape, scamp