Price for used 16' Scamp or Casita? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2019, 11:00 AM   #1

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
Price for used 16' Scamp or Casita?

I'm looking to buy a 16' Casita or Scamp Layout 6 (want bath, big bed and side dinette). I'm thinking I want a 2010 or later. What price range am I likely to see?

Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I would look at sold comps here:
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/scamp-trailers-sold
and
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...-trailers-sold
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:50 PM   #3

Massachusetts
Registry
Thanks, Gordon. Very helpful.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The main thing you save on a newish used FG trailer is you avoid the several month backlog on a new one. You also tend to get options and upgrades thrown in with the deal. But the price itself will be similar to brand new.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:55 PM   #5

Massachusetts
Registry
So I'm not that handy and am looking for a trailer that won't need rehab before setting out for full time. Of course, any home (mobile or not) takes maintenance over time. And what makes it even harder is, I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how to evaluate a trailer and pick up on the problems the seller isn't mentioning (or isn't aware of). I was thinking a newer trailer (2010 or newer) has a better chance of not needing any fixing? (Other than the tires, which I understand need to be quite new.) So, how old of a trailer should I be looking for?
Old 01-28-2019, 06:18 PM   #6

Registry
The newer the better. If you have the time to wait, brand new may be best suited for you. Evaluate how the trailer was used and stored. We bought our Escape used. At the time, it was four years old, bought from original owner, always stored inside in its own dedicated garage. Paid a high price for it, basically new price. What we saved was shipping to our home, we got several optional upgrades. and we didn't miss out on a camping season waiting for a new one.

Brand new trailers can have issues too.

And regardless of what you buy, how YOU store it when it is not being used is important to its lifespan and condition. My two trailers are stored in dedicated carports. And the smaller one will fit inside the garage. Outside in the elements, sun, rain, and snow, create wear and tear on any camper.

My 1977 Trillium is a project, I've put a lot of hours into it, and I am not close to done yet, although it is now usable as a camper.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:55 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Used price

2 1/2 years ago I sold a 2011 Casita17 for $15,000. It included mounted and portable solar, shock absorbers, am/fm CD player, good tires and battery and a host of other little things that all cost money.
The statement that if you buy used you will end up paying almost new price is absolute b___ s__t. If you buy a 2018 trailer it might cost almost new price, but if you buy a trailer that is 5 or 6 years old it won’t be even close to new price.
Steve
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
we're expecting to sell our 2008 Casita 16 SD for around $13000 when we get it prettied up in the spring. its in good shape, and everything works.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:33 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A few suggestions for evaluating the condition of a used trailer. One, print out and use the Buyer’s Checklist from the Document Center. Two, try to find a retired person near you with RV experience who might be willing to help you with inspection of potential purchases as well as learning the ropes after purchase. Ask neighbors, friends, and coworkers if the know anybody. Three, consider taking the trailer to an RV shop near the seller for a pre-purchase inspection. Not all sellers will cooperate, especially if they’ve got many people interested, but you can always ask. I’d expect around $100.

Best wishes finding a nice camp-ready trailer for your travels. I’d be expecting to pay around $13-18K depending on location, age, equipment, and condition, maybe less if you happen to be in the right place at the right time.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #10

Registry
FWIW I stopped at the Casita factory in 2015, and was quoted $18,000 for a new 17 Liberty Deluxe with no options. I did not proceed with purchase, so not sure how accurate the pricing was.

I've seen many late model Escapes going for about the price of new, but without options or shipping, which both can be substantial.

If you read my posting, I mentioned getting the options on a used unit "free" was certainly a benefit. My Escape has about $6,000 in options.

Tags
casita, scamp