Prices- Casita vs. LIL Snoozy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2017, 01:48 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Prices- Casita vs. LIL Snoozy

I've been planning on getting a casita eventually. However I like to simpleness of the Lil Snoozy. The hang up is the price. A casita loaded with most options is $20k-21k. A Lil Snoozy base is $21.5
I would then need to add over $3,000 in options not including any awnings or fancy Wheels.

It seems overpriced by a good three or four thousand dollars. Am I the only one who feels that way?

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Try pricing out an Escape 17B ($21K base, USD, based on current exchange rate) or a new Parkliner (TBD, but projected $25-30K). EggCamper, before they suspended production last year, had raised their base price to $25K. You may conclude not that the Lil Snoozy is overpriced, but that the Casita is a bargain.

Casita and Scamp have long amortized their start-up and development costs and their ongoing costs are spread over a great annual output. So, they are able to keep prices lower.

There are, of course, differences in materials and quality that also factor in: real wood cabinets, structural fiberglass "sandwich" shell, and galvanized frame in the Snoozy, for example.

In the end, though, prices are what they are. If a company delivers value for the dollar in the eyes of enough buyers, they will survive and prosper. If not, word will get around, and they will end up among the "legacy manufacturers" (which outnumber the survivors by a significant margin).

Tough decision. I will say this: I thought I was paying too much for a very basic Scamp five years ago instead of a small tent trailer. Today, the pain of the purchase is long forgotten and the enjoyment of a trailer we love and use remains. The worst deal of all is a trailer that never gets used because it just doesn't fit your needs. Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:27 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
I view them as pretty different trailers, not just the all-electric, no black water tank, permanent bed features of the Lil Snoozy, but even to their orientation on most campsites (not to mention bumping my head). If you can afford to buy either one new, I'd think the choice would be on best fit for your use, not $3-4K (I did say if one can afford either . . .)
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Don - We had thought long and hard about both the Casita and Lil Snoozy. We used the referral program and saw a Casita locally. Then we spoke to a rep in Texas who sent us information and an order form. We went as far as filling out the order form and then we saw a Snoozy while we were camping. We really liked the simplicity of it. We decided to go to St. Matthews, to see the Snoozy factory, (we're only 3 hours away ) and ended up ordering ours in late November last year. For all the options we chose there was only a slight difference in cost between the two. Now we're patiently waiting...... NOT! LOL But hopefully we'll be picking ours up very soon!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:46 PM   #5

Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Where's the "LIKE" button for these three answers. I agree. I've wanted a casita and had plan to get in a few years. But I like the simplicity of the Lil Snoozy.

The Don Pod
Old 06-07-2017, 12:01 AM   #6

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Try pricing out an Escape 17B ($21K base, USD, based on current exchange rate)
One minor correction. Based on the current exchange rate, an Escape 17B would be $18,945 USD.

An Escape 19 base price would be around $23,395 USD.

Our 19 is pretty loaded, and came to $35,500 CAD in 2015. At today's exchange rate, that would be around $26,379 USD.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:03 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
One minor correction. Based on the current exchange rate, an Escape 17B would be $18,945 USD.
Made me look, and it appears we're both off. The base price is $26,900CAD according to the website. Run through an exchange rate calculator at this morning's rates, that's right at $20K (USD), maybe $22-24K with the usual basket of options. The answer I got with yesterday's rates was 20,009, and somehow my mind made it 20,900. Thanks for catching the error. I think your figure is for the 17A, by the way. I used the 17B for comparison because it's closest functionally to a Casita 17 deluxe or a Lil Snoozy.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:21 AM   #8

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
You're right, it was the A.

The rate right now is highly favorable to US buyers. Escapes have always been considered much more expensive than a comparably equipped Casita, but with the current exchange rate, not so.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #9

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Oliver Elite II (had Casita SD, Bigfoot 21FB, & Lil Snoozy)
Kentucky
Great comments from all, but I totally agree with Bob. Our first trailer was a Casita SD, then we got a Bigfoot 21FB, then an Oliver Elite II (sold it when my husband had foot reconstruction), and now we have just purchased a Lil' Snoozy. My recommendation would be to not let $3,000 or so be the determining factor and get what you think best meets your needs. One of the deciding factors for us on the LS was the comfort of the sofa and the open floor plan. All have their good and not so good points...just have to figure out which is best for you.
Kentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #10

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi,

Casita and Lil Snoozys are both fine egg campers. We love our Casita. However, we bought used and bought what was available on the used egg market at the time that we were looking.

If u can afford either, I would go with the one I wanted. If the price difference is a major issue, you can't go wrong with a Casita.

Happy camping,

Dean
Old 06-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I often wonder why people as pricing questions here when a couple phone calls will get the current correct pricing information.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:09 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
I don't think the question was about how much they cost, Byron, but whether one model justifies a $3-4K premium over another. I merely threw out some additional price data to illustrate the point that the higher-priced unit is not out of line with comparable models from other manufacturers. That may have clouded the discussion.

Dean, your answer seems to sum up the consensus, and I'll second it:
"If u can afford either, I would go with the one I wanted. If the price difference is a major issue, you can't go wrong with a Casita."
Old 06-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
trailer width

My two bits -- Check the trailer width. The Casita is 6'8" so can be towed without extra length side mirrors and provides excellent vision in traffic. Several others are 8' wide and are a bear in traffic.
Walt
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:50 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Good point, Walt. The Snoozy's cabin is not much wider than a Casita, but the outboard wheels require heightened awareness and vigilance when towing. They won't track neatly behind the tow vehicle.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Random thoughts

My wife 100% rejected an Escape and would not even consider Casita. Shooting from the hip about a Casita since we have not seen a Lil Snoozy.

First the interior is simply nicer. Second the optional window makes it feel far more spacious. Third, she thinks the foam core construction in the Lil Snoozy is a far superior form of insulation. It looks better, possibly more effective (debating that one), will not absorb kitchen smells (her concern from talking to a pervious owner), and can be cleaned easily in case of molding. Fourth it is bigger due to length. Last she really like the color options of the Lil Snoozy.

The wheels do concern me from driving a school bus. My friend joked about having the right of way by tonnage, and he was correct. I do not expect people to get out my way when driving an RV. The narrower wheels of a Casita really appeals to me.
Alan Rh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:18 PM   #16

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Hi,

Casita and Lil Snoozys are both fine egg campers. We love our Casita. However, we bought used and bought what was available on the used egg market at the time that we were looking.

If u can afford either, I would go with the one I wanted. If the price difference is a major issue, you can't go wrong with a Casita.

Happy camping,

Dean
Dean, you are 100% correct. If you get what you want the first time then you'll never regret it. The last few weeks I've been reading and researching and have almost convinced myself to spend a few extra bucks and get something in which I can have a recliner. The snoozy is about the only thing that will fit in as far as these small fiberglass trailers. It'll cost more but I will be very comfortable.

The Don Pod
Old 06-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
I've seen the Snoozy and really liked the layout. However, that "simplicity" comes with a loss of versatility - the ability to power your refrigeration, heat and cooking with LP gas gives you more options as far as where you can camp. But it all depends on your style of camping.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #18

Texas
For my purpose, the lp is not really that important. I will usually be where I have AC access. If not the battery can power the refrigerator for a while. Plus I'm not really a camp cook. I am single I have an '86 Argosy/Airstream and I have a Nu-Way hitchhiker 5th wheel. In 20 years I have never used the range for cooking. I'm not so much a camper in the woods as I am a traveler who likes to take his house with him. And I'm single.

Both of these trailers have eventually sprung gas leaks which is extremely inconvenient until you find the leak and can have it repaired. So not having to worry about propane as fine with me.

The Don Pod
Old 06-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #19

Trailer: In the Market
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
My two bits -- Check the trailer width. The Casita is 6'8" so can be towed without extra length side mirrors and provides excellent vision in traffic. Several others are 8' wide and are a bear in traffic.
Walt
Thanks for pointing that out. I am sooooo overwhelmed shopping these
Donnie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:32 PM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
I kind of liked the Little Snoozy's but checked them a bit further reading this thread and found some complete deal breakers for me to consider them. First, no propane appliances. I run the fridge continually on the road and seldom get an electrical site. In the northern climate we also run propane furnaces all the time as well. The second is the toilet. Some swear by the cassette toilet, some swear at it. I wasn't much aware of them but after watching this video I feel enlightened enough to never get one. Be sure to watch the end of the video.

And I suspect some will chime in that cassette toilets are not so bad to dump in a public restroom rather than at home, gross! I will stick to black then grey water hoses as they are no big deal. Grey water flushes out the black pretty well.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, lil snoozy