Prices for used Casitas - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Posts: 108
William, I placed my order for our Casita the last week of June and picked it up on September 9 th. If it were me I'd still look for a fiberglass trailer, there are many options out there. A stick built could be cheaper but also may have issues associated with that type of construction and you may lose a larger percentage of the money you invested.
__________________

__________________
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:28 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,142
William, you could talk to some of the mfrs like Scamp, Casita, Parkliner, and Lil Snoozy to see what their lead times are. Another possibility: once in a while they have one sitting and ready to go, like when someone canceled their order at the last minute or (in the case of Scamp) if they got a few extra trailers built during the slow winter season.

Also, you can keep looking for a suitable used egg. Although they go quickly, more FG trailers pop up for sale all the time and you might find one when you least expect it.

Finally, if you are getting really close to your deadline, it's easy to turn to a stick trailer. Used ones are almost as plentiful as sand on the beach. Check them carefully for signs of water intrusion, of course. And remember that because they're so plentiful, you can usually get a private seller to drop below his asking price... sometimes by a decent amount.

I bought a stickie in 2011, brand new... a KZ Spree Escape 14RB (16' long overall) for just under $10K (about a grand below the dealer's asking price btw). I did it because I wanted to buy new, a comparably equipped Scamp was about $17K, and I just couldn't afford to pay that much right then. I only got 11-12 mpg towing it, and it was making my transmission temp light come on sometimes, so after 3 years I offered it for sale on CL for $7900 with the idea that I'd take $7500 or maybe even a bit less. An excited buyer bought it a month later for $7500. (But 2 weeks later the roof started leaking, so I went halfway with the new owner on a roof re-seal.) My point is, a smaller, entry level stickie just 2-5 years old might be purchased at 1/2 to 3/4 of the original price. Once it has taken that much of a depreciation hit, you could use it for another year or two (or three) and perhaps only lose another 10%-15% on it.
__________________

__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Name: William
Trailer: Casita SD17
New Jersey
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
William, you could talk to some of the mfrs like Scamp, Casita, Parkliner, and Lil Snoozy to see what their lead times are. Another possibility: once in a while they have one sitting and ready to go, like when someone canceled their order at the last minute or (in the case of Scamp) if they got a few extra trailers built during the slow winter season.

Also, you can keep looking for a suitable used egg. Although they go quickly, more FG trailers pop up for sale all the time and you might find one when you least expect it.

Finally, if you are getting really close to your deadline, it's easy to turn to a stick trailer. Used ones are almost as plentiful as sand on the beach. Check them carefully for signs of water intrusion, of course. And remember that because they're so plentiful, you can usually get a private seller to drop below his asking price... sometimes by a decent amount.

I bought a stickie in 2011, brand new... a KZ Spree Escape 14RB (16' long overall) for just under $10K (about a grand below the dealer's asking price btw). I did it because I wanted to buy new, a comparably equipped Scamp was about $17K, and I just couldn't afford to pay that much right then. I only got 11-12 mpg towing it, and it was making my transmission temp light come on sometimes, so after 3 years I offered it for sale on CL for $7900 with the idea that I'd take $7500 or maybe even a bit less. An excited buyer bought it a month later for $7500. (But 2 weeks later the roof started leaking, so I went halfway with the new owner on a roof re-seal.) My point is, a smaller, entry level stickie just 2-5 years old might be purchased at 1/2 to 3/4 of the original price. Once it has taken that much of a depreciation hit, you could use it for another year or two (or three) and perhaps only lose another 10%-15% on it.
It's weird how every single stick-TT seems to leak. I've never heard of one that does not. A friend bought a TT for "just $3k", and noticed some water damage. So he started cutting out the rotted wood. He eventually had torn apart the entire TT, and just had a metal trailer frame left, lol. Now he is going to build a Tiny House on the frame. I don't have those kind of skills, so I would need something that didn't rot in the first place.

Here is an example of a $8k stick-TT I was looking at, actually I see it is aluminum with a FG exterior. Maybe it doesn't leak.

__________________
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Name: William
Trailer: Casita SD17
New Jersey
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
"2007 Fleetwood Pegasus 180 Ultra Lite Travel Trailer, front Queen Bed, 2400 Pounds, $7,995"
After doing a little research on this sTT, I see that in 2007 Fleetwood was the "top-selling manufacturer in its market", and in 2009 they filed for bankruptcy. Pffft. Guess I will pass on the Pegasus.

Fleetwood Enterprises - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:21 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
WendyW's Avatar
 
Name: Wendy
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
Posts: 114
William, call Harald ASAP AT Casita, 903-200-4956, and ask. I think you could get it in time. I chose to delay my ready by date because I can't leave my apt. until end of August. Good luck!!
__________________
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Name: William
Trailer: Casita SD17
New Jersey
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
William, call Harald ASAP AT Casita, 903-200-4956, and ask. I think you could get it in time. I chose to delay my ready by date because I can't leave my apt. until end of August. Good luck!!
Maybe I will call him. I just tried to buy a used Casita, and it already sold. They had a 2014 17ft Casita Spirit Deluxe for $15k. They immediately got 20 calls, and sold it after about 3 hours. The salesman said "I think we could have sold it for more.", and I said, "I think you're right!". It is listed here:

Used 2014 Casita Enterprises Casita Travel Trailer For Sale In Hanover, PA - HAN1209372 - Camping World
__________________
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: casita 17 SD
Pennsylvania
Posts: 153
used

If you go to the casita forum, there are 13 used trailers listed for sale in classifieds. Price from 12,500 to 18000. If you are willing to pay 20 grand for new and drive to Texas to get it, then I don't see what the problem is. Some of these are only a year or two old. One includes solar! Ten days ago there was one in Virginia for 10500. I think you snooze you loose.
Is your tow vehicle ready to tow? It needs to be if you are going to jump on a good deal.
I have bought three used casitas and everyone of the sellers was willing to wait a day for me to drive to see it even though they had others in line to buy. I live in Northern PA and drove to Michigan, Virginia and Indiana. I pulled them all home.
__________________
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Name: William
Trailer: Casita SD17
New Jersey
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
William, call Harald ASAP AT Casita, 903-200-4956, and ask. I think you could get it in time. I chose to delay my ready by date because I can't leave my apt. until end of August. Good luck!!
My apt complex said they would extend my lease if necessary, since I was a good tenant. Having more time, I called and spoke with a saleslady, and put in an order for a 17ft Spirit Deluxe. I'm going to have them deliver it to me since I am afraid to have my first towing experience be towing my home for 2000 miles. It sounds like it will be a 2-3 month wait, which is fine. It gives me time to prepare.

It is all coming together now. Thanks!
__________________
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Name: William
Trailer: Casita SD17
New Jersey
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrightsteve View Post
If you go to the casita forum, there are 13 used trailers listed for sale in classifieds. Price from 12,500 to 18000. If you are willing to pay 20 grand for new and drive to Texas to get it, then I don't see what the problem is. Some of these are only a year or two old. One includes solar! Ten days ago there was one in Virginia for 10500. I think you snooze you loose.
Is your tow vehicle ready to tow? It needs to be if you are going to jump on a good deal.
I have bought three used casitas and everyone of the sellers was willing to wait a day for me to drive to see it even though they had others in line to buy. I live in Northern PA and drove to Michigan, Virginia and Indiana. I pulled them all home.
I think I saw the same trailers you saw, ironically the $18k in Virginia Beach is next to the mall I hung around in the 80s as a teen-ager. I know that whole area very well. Strangely, the guy had no pictures of the Casita. He is charging the same price for a 7 year old trailer, that you can get a brand new trailer for - so he must have made some amazing enhancements. Today I decided to get a new one, but thank you for mentioning those Casitas.
__________________
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #24
Moderator
 
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 3,080
The difference between an egg and a stick built is if you sell at anything other than totally off season you can pretty much get your money back out of a used egg and are pretty much certain to lose money on a stick built. The FGRV's only depreciate to a certain point then the price is supported by the cost of a new one having the same features.

But that same low depreciation works to some extent if you purchase new since there will probably not be a lot of used available in your area you don't lose as much of the original price. Stick built there are hundreds available all the time so supply will tend to keep sale price lower. You not being a dealer can't really set up the financing and make the purchase easier for stick built buyer. Sit down sign here while our guy hooks that up to your vehicle broadens the potential buyers pool for dealers more than private sellers.

You would need to be prepared to pounce quickly to purchase used because a good deal does not last long. And this time of year can be especially frustrating as there are a lot of buyers.
__________________
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:04 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Posts: 108
Hey William, congratulations on your purchase. I debated whether I should pick-up the Casita or have it delivered. I decided to pick it up and was glad I did. Was I nervous- yes but it was a great trip, I took 2 weeks coming back and hit some great spots along the way. I visited Fort Smith Ark., Mamouth Caves Ky., Lincoln's birth place and Knob Creek and the Makers Mark Distillery. It was a great way to get used to the trailer and traffic is a whole less out that way especially if you take the back roads. Once you get closer to NY/New England traffic increases but you'll have many miles under your belt by then. Just something to consider.
__________________
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:13 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Posts: 799
We have had 8 stick trailers and when maintained properly, they did not leak. All RVs can leak at the windows, roof vents, A/C vent and seams. Plumbing leaks can happen in any RV. Maintenance is the key. With a stick trailer, you must check the seams and you have more of them.

Anyone who believes you can buy a maintenance-free RV is in for some big and expensive issues on down the road.
__________________
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:13 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Name: William
Trailer: Casita SD17
New Jersey
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwig View Post
Hey William, congratulations on your purchase. I debated whether I should pick-up the Casita or have it delivered. I decided to pick it up and was glad I did. Was I nervous- yes but it was a great trip, I took 2 weeks coming back and hit some great spots along the way. I visited Fort Smith Ark., Mamouth Caves Ky., Lincoln's birth place and Knob Creek and the Makers Mark Distillery. It was a great way to get used to the trailer and traffic is a whole less out that way especially if you take the back roads. Once you get closer to NY/New England traffic increases but you'll have many miles under your belt by then. Just something to consider.
Hi wwig, I'm not 100% certain I will have them deliver it. They mentioned something about running an electrical cord from the TV to the RV to charge the RVs battery, and I don't know anything about that. I might have to go there, so they can do it. I got the anti-sway option, which they normally weld for you in TX, but they said I could get a 3rd party adapter which would negate the need for welding. If I can do the power cord and anti-sway thing by myself, I will have it delivered.
__________________
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:07 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Posts: 108
William, check with Casita as they stopped doing the electrical installations a few years back. The charge wire is part of your 7-way connection.
__________________

__________________
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
casita


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Used trailer prices kootenaigirl Money Matters 61 05-02-2014 10:47 PM
sale prices of used Scamps Karalyn Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 13 07-18-2012 11:13 AM
How Have Used Prices Been Holding? Paul Braun General Chat 5 11-30-2008 09:38 PM
Lake Casitas - 6th Annual Lake Casitas Rally CarolnJim Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 151 10-31-2007 03:11 AM
Camping Casitas at Lake Casitas Legacy Posts Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 48 10-31-2002 09:21 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.