Pricing strategies on a Hymer Touring GT - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmantra View Post
My original plan was to make an offer of around $20,000 on one of these orphan trailers...
I offered $23,000 to the same dealer and they said no.
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Looking for the dealer to sell the Hymer for less may not be an option for them, they could have purchased the Hymer's before they went out of business and they could have close to that amount on money in their trailers. All being said, I probably wouldn't purchase one even if it was much lower, just not wanting a Hymer. It's hard to go wrong with a Casita or Escape for the price and resale, just good quality trailers and have stood the test of time.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #23

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
It's hard to go wrong with a Casita or Escape for the price and resale, just good quality trailers and have stood the test of time.
Completely agree.

We saw the Hymer at an RV show and really liked it. (The king bed, especially.) Then made a decision to give it a try when we heard they were stopping production. Admittedly, it could be a mistake. But my wife and I were up for the gamble. I would definitely steer others toward looking at Casita and Escape.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #24

California
Registry
FYI - word on the Hymer GT Facebook group is a dealer in Ontario has 20-40 units from the receiver and is selling them for about $15,000US with no dealer fees. Two members have purchased GTs from them at that price.

Not bad.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #25

California
Registry
Here’s the dealer ad...
https://www.rvt.com/Erwin-Hymer-HYME...08199-UX103460
Old 05-18-2019, 04:55 PM   #26

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Looking for the dealer to sell the Hymer for less may not be an option for them, they could have purchased the Hymer's before they went out of business and they could have close to that amount on money in their trailers.

trainman
Its always an option. They can either continue to pay finance charges to keep it and watch the value decline, or swallow hard and let it go at a loss. A smart business person knows when to let go, and take their lumps sooner rather than later.

Given the trailers now appearing on the market for $15,000, the bar has been dropped. Its kind of the opposite of Little Snoozy. Snoozy had dozens of customers, cash in hand, waiting for their trailers. Snoozy went under with no inventory. Hymer's business went under, with a fair amount of finished inventory unsold. And more in the hands of their dealer network. As that inventory is sold, there will be a lot of downward pressure on pricing. At some point it will stabilize, but it could be at a number even lower than $15,000.

It is a lot of trailer for just $15,000.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:19 PM   #27

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJohn View Post
Now that's a tempting offer. Short of a revelation of serious manufacturing defects, this trailer just became a lot more interesting!
Old 05-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #28

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
Now that's a tempting offer. Short of a revelation of serious manufacturing defects, this trailer just became a lot more interesting!
I read a report that there's some sort of chassis compliance certification issue with the Canadian DOT or whatever it's called up there. Since the axle and brakes are all commonly available from Lippert, the assumption is that the compliance documentation is the issue, not the mechanics. Evidently this is not a problem for US owners because we have different regulations.

Looking thru the 20 trailers listed here, you can see a bit of variety in the details. A few trailers have tongue covers over the battery and LPG tanks. At least one has a coupler without surge brakes. (One owner on the FB group said his trailer came with electric trailer brakes.) And I've heard there were some changes in the upper cabinets from early '18 built units to the last ones in 2019.

A trip to Ontario just to kick tires. If anyone in SoCal is considering buying one and wants to take a look thru mine, you'd be welcome. Send me a PM.

I'm sorry to say I pulled the trigger too soon and didn't get nearly this good of a deal. But I'm sure excited that others will. It's a nice trailer. And for someone willing to overlook the lack of factory support, $15,000 is a pretty great deal for a new trailer.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:02 PM   #29

California
Registry
Quote:
Looking thru the 20 trailers listed here...
Also worth noting that although the exterior photos of these trailers all appear to be different, the interior shots in the few that I've checked appear to be duplicates.

Best bet is to show up in person and choose the one you want.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:59 PM   #30

California
Quote:
Also worth noting that although the exterior photos of these trailers all appear to be different, the interior shots in the few that I've checked appear to be duplicates.

Best bet is to show up in person and choose the one you want.
I found this listing in New York with identical pictures to one of the rvt ads in Ontario:
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...-GT-5004108121

So I think your advice is wise. Don't base your pick off the pics!
Old 05-23-2019, 06:41 AM   #31

California
Registry
Two members on the Facebook group have said the dealer is upgrading their Hymers to electric brakes. This is happening "because their legal department advised them to upgrade the brakes because they were not certified [in Canada]." Owners were given the option to keep the surge brakes but must sign a waiver to do so. There is no added cost for the upgrade.

Three units have sold in the last week. There are 17 still being advertised as of today. All are priced at 14,779US/19,900CAD
Old 05-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
FYI - word on the Hymer GT Facebook group is a dealer in Ontario has 20-40 units from the receiver and is selling them for about $15,000US with no dealer fees. Two members have purchased GTs from them at that price.

Not bad.
That's a pretty good price for a nice looking trailer. I wonder if any of the people that bought those trailers from the Ontario dealer can report how the process of importing them into the USA worked out. Did they have to go through a registered importer to bring it home? Any import taxes payable at the border?
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #33

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
I wonder if any of the people that bought those trailers from the Ontario dealer can report how the process of importing them into the USA worked out. Did they have to go through a registered importer to bring it home? Any import taxes payable at the border?
I will let them speak for themselves. But there's more conversation on the Hymer Touring GT / Eriba Touring Owners & Fans Facebook group for anyone interested.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #34

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
That's a pretty good price for a nice looking trailer. I wonder if any of the people that bought those trailers from the Ontario dealer can report how the process of importing them into the USA worked out. Did they have to go through a registered importer to bring it home? Any import taxes payable at the border?
I don't think you need to use a registered importer if you are bringing it across for personal use AND it has a label indicating compliance with USDOT requirements.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:07 AM   #35

California
Registry
Here's a link to the upcoming Hymer auction. Looks like they've got quite a few trailers in finished or near-finished condition...

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auc...0-aa770158d6a3

Old 07-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #36

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
18% buyers premium plus 13% tax. Ouch!
Old 07-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #37

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
18% buyers premium plus 13% tax. Ouch!
The following post should be used for entertainment purposes only.

The 18% applies to online buyers only. The physical auction site is about 2 hours from the Buffalo crossing. Day 1 is the only day that items are being auctioned on-site, but they have the trailers and parts listed on that day. So if you can make it to the auction site, perhaps not such a bad deal. And they take Visa and MasterCard!

For reference, Sicard RV in Hamilton, ON is selling new trailers with a pre-delivery inspection and repairs for $19,900 CAD plus $500 CAD to export to Buffalo, for a total of $20,400, no tax (if you choose to export it yourself, you will pay 13% tax of $2,587).

If you can get a trailer for $18,053 CAD, you will pay $20,400 after tax. Trailers are duty free when imported from Canada into the US. But then a Canadian buyer would have to pay HST on the Sicard trailer, so he may outbid you at $18,054 and still consider this a good deal (his after-tax cost will still be lower).

None of this considers the hassle of importing or registering in your state, any foreign transaction fees for US buyers, or whether the trailers are going as a lot or being sold separately.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:13 PM   #38

Name: Todd
Trailer: 2018 ParkLiner /2015 casita spirit deluxe
Georgia
Hi Sharpsburg Us too
Toddv78 is offline   Reply With Quote