Pricing strategies on a Hymer Touring GT - Fiberglass RV



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Cycle-Kamp!
Oregon
Posts: 15
Pricing strategies on a Hymer Touring GT

OK I’m new at the trailer buying game and I need some advice on ‘dealings’ on fiberglass trailers with RV dealers. I was considering a Hymer Touring GT fiberglass trailer, but the $34,000 price seemed a bit extreme for what you get in a trailer.
Move forward a few months, and Hymer North America, the maker of the new to market Hymer Touring GT has collapsed and gone out of production leaving ‘orphan’ Touring GTs out there at RV dealerships. A dealer in the Willamette Valley in Oregon has 3 of them sitting on their lot. They have cut the price on their Hymers from $34,000 to $29,000, but that still seems a lot for a new fiberglass trailer that no longer has a trailer warranty!
Is there a ‘bargain’ here ($15,000-$20,000 offer on the orphan trailer) or best to stay away from a new model trailer that will not have a parts or factory support? Remember I’m a newbie—I’m checking with you experts on this! Thanks in advance!
__________________

Karmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:35 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 5,695
Stove, furnace, fridge etc. will be covered by each appliance manufacturer's warranty. I don't know what was covered by Hymer that could go wrong ( cupboard hinges? ).
__________________

__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
Member
 
Name: Justus
Trailer: Shopping For Our 1st
Illinois
Posts: 85
Karmantra, I have been watching these too. I think you'd get laughed off the lot if you offered 50%-66% of the already reduced asking price of these trailers at this point. Here is one at the "fire sale" price of $24,000 (plus dealer fees): https://www.alpinhausrv.com/--xInven...inventory-link.

A warranty runs out in what, a year? Two years tops? If you were buying a 2 year old used molded FG trailer, would you expect to pay 50% of the original purchase price?
__________________
We're in the market! Max budget is $15k. Cash in hand, ready to travel! Looking for a 90s-era Bigfoot 17/17.5/19 (any layout), or early 2000s Escape 17B.
Justus C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:58 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Posts: 1,770
Registry
Have you spent any time inside the Hymer? I checked one out at the Tampa RV show in January, we thought it was really cramped inside.

I would not base my decision on a warranty or lack of. I would expect a discount as Hymer never really got a following on these trailers before they went out of business. The one for sale above for $24,000 gives you a starting point. Personally I'd work down from there. The worst they can do is turn down your offer.


if you are new to this, I would recommend you attend a FG rally first. You may just fall in love with another brand. We made the mistake of going to a rally AFTER we bought our trailer. Sure enough, we found what we should have bought. At that point, ours went for sale and the search began for what suited us better.

Good news/bad news on molded FG trailers, there's lots of variety out there, and most brands have little in common with their competitors. Chances are, one brand will suit you best. If it is Hymer, go for it. Myself, I would start my offers at $20,000, all cash. You can always leave them an offer and walk away. Since they have three in hand, that every day are getting older, they may eventually get very flexible. The fact is the one above is $24K. If they tell me its a long drive, I'd tell them I was planning to make a trip out of it and visit friends back east or whatever.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:30 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Cycle-Kamp!
Oregon
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Have you spent any time inside the Hymer? I checked one out at the Tampa RV show in January, we thought it was really cramped inside.

I would not base my decision on a warranty or lack of. I would expect a discount as Hymer never really got a following on these trailers before they went out of business. The one for sale above for $24,000 gives you a starting point. Personally I'd work down from there. The worst they can do is turn down your offer.


if you are new to this, I would recommend you attend a FG rally first. You may just fall in love with another brand. We made the mistake of going to a rally AFTER we bought our trailer. Sure enough, we found what we should have bought. At that point, ours went for sale and the search began for what suited us better.

Good news/bad news on molded FG trailers, there's lots of variety out there, and most brands have little in common with their competitors. Chances are, one brand will suit you best. If it is Hymer, go for it. Myself, I would start my offers at $20,000, all cash. You can always leave them an offer and walk away. Since they have three in hand, that every day are getting older, they may eventually get very flexible. The fact is the one above is $24K. If they tell me its a long drive, I'd tell them I was planning to make a trip out of it and visit friends back east or whatever.
I will be heading to the valley to view and walk through the Hymer this weekend, but won’t be making any offers at this time—will decide if it is a trailer that might fit our needs. The other trailer I am considering is the Escape 19– there are two in central Oregon to view but my wife and I have not had a chance to view one yet because of the ‘snowmaggedom’ we have endured over the last two weeks! Any dealings on a Hymer will be a take it or leave it cash offer. If both trailers seem acceptable, it will boil down to the best value. $15,000 to $20,000 for a Hymer or $32,000 to $35,000 US for a option loaded Escape 19? Your thoughts? Thanks in advance for your comments!
Karmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jack Walter's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Trailer: Escape 17 - Ex Eriba, U-Haul, Boler owner
Georgia
Posts: 139
I owned two of the older Hymer Eribas - a Puck and a Triton and they were great trailers - I just sold my thirty year old Eriba Triton a few months ago and it was still in very nice condition. I was looking for something with a bathroom (wife's requirement) and was seriously considering the new Hymer Touring GT - until I saw one in person.


My wife thought it was too cramped feeling as well and I didn't like the obvious shortcuts I saw compared to the European models - even though Hymer was selling the new fiberglass trailer for more than the ones they were still building in Europe with much better finishes and details. So I wound up with a 17' Escape that is a much better trailer than Hymer Touring in my opinion. Its a shame because I really like the elevating roof on the Hymer trailers - its a great feature and my 30 year old version never leaked a drop of water in any weather.


I certainly wouldn't spend over $18k on an orphan trailer with the shortcuts they took to build it down to a price. The older Hymer Eribas were like "German Airstreams" before the Thor takeover.
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:09 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
NW Cat Owner's Avatar
 
Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Posts: 113
I'd also view other size Escapes, if you can. When we were trying to decide what to get, we viewed the 19, 21 (both with the u-shape and regular dinette) and 5.0. It was great seeing the differences in each one. You can contact Escape for names of folks near you willing to show you their trailers. Or maybe someone on this forum will chime in.


I'll be along the OR Coast for all of April if you're in that neck of the woods, you're more than welcome to view mine (a 21). If you're interested, PM me and I can tell you where I'll be and when. Please note that I won't have internet connections (heck, not even cell coverage) at many of the places I'm at, so I might not respond right away.
__________________
Laura and Dirk, and Spike, Sam & Jasper (the cats)

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:04 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Civilguy's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 995
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walter View Post
I was looking for something with a bathroom (wife's requirement) and was seriously considering the new Hymer Touring GT - until I saw one in person.
Jack,

It's sad to hear that the North American Hymers didn't adhere to the quality you had with your older one. I have always liked the fiberglass and fabric pop-tops ever since I had one on a '65 VW breadbox.

I occasionally glance out at our Escape 21 and consider how to cut it down and install a pop-top so that it won't tow like an open parachute, then reason and sense once again sadly prevail...

...or maybe I'll try adding an aerodynamic tail that will garage the folding bikes instead. I'm always dreaming about one thing or another...
__________________
~ "This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects." ~
Civilguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:15 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Civilguy's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 995
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmantra View Post
A dealer in the Willamette Valley in Oregon has 3 of them sitting on their lot. They have cut the price on their Hymers from $34,000 to $29,000, but that still seems a lot for a new fiberglass trailer that no longer has a trailer warranty!
John,

I can't speak to the trailer. As noted above, I am enthusiastic about the pop-top as a concept, but I can't speak to the execution as produced in this model. Some of this could depend on your skill set and ability to sustain and maintain a prospective "orphan".

Or, though perhaps unlikely, someone may potentially resuscitate the builder and the trailer won't be an orphan.

I do suggest giving Roger Dawson a through read if you are interested in negotiation.
__________________
~ "This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects." ~
Civilguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:51 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Posts: 1,367
One question that would concern me in a situation like this would be "who has the title"? The dealer obviously has the trailer, but if the dealer has not paid for the trailer yet and someone else, bank, finance co. or builder is holding the title, it could be a difficult situation.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:30 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Posts: 1,770
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmantra View Post
I will be heading to the valley to view and walk through the Hymer this weekend, but won’t be making any offers at this time—will decide if it is a trailer that might fit our needs. The other trailer I am considering is the Escape 19– there are two in central Oregon to view but my wife and I have not had a chance to view one yet because of the ‘snowmaggedom’ we have endured over the last two weeks! Any dealings on a Hymer will be a take it or leave it cash offer. If both trailers seem acceptable, it will boil down to the best value. $15,000 to $20,000 for a Hymer or $32,000 to $35,000 US for a option loaded Escape 19? Your thoughts? Thanks in advance for your comments!
You mentioned the importance of options. When we bought our Escape 19 used, we paid pretty close to the price of a new one. What we did get were a lot of options: thermopane windows, front box, AC, awning, on and on. Total, there were about $6,000 in options on the trailer. And we avoided the wait too, and it was close to home. I assume your Escape pricing above is for a brand new one. Finding a used one is difficult for sure!

The reason we picked a 19 over a 21 was simple, 19 was the biggest unit that could fit in our parking area on our lot. Any larger and it would have been stored off site, with a monthly fee, and a lot less convenient. If I had the room, a 21 would have been nice, and my favorite Escape right now is the 5.0TA or whatever they are calling their fifth wheel.

A comparison between the Hymer and the Escape 19 is not "fair". Once you step into an Escape, you will know the difference room wise. A fairer comparison would be a Scamp 16.
__________________
Check my Trillium Project Page: https://www.facebook.com/Bills-1977-...dmin_todo_tour
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Cycle-Kamp!
Oregon
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
One question that would concern me in a situation like this would be "who has the title"? The dealer obviously has the trailer, but if the dealer has not paid for the trailer yet and someone else, bank, finance co. or builder is holding the title, it could be a difficult situation.
Good point on title—who owns the title? The dealership or the company in bankruptcy? You would certainly hate to pay the bucks to the RV dealer and later find out that they didn’t own it free and clear from Hymer NA and it all ends up in court.
Karmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:42 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape21 DeJa View pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,480
Registry
The title is not issued until the trailer is registered in a state, you will get a Certificate of Origin from the dealer and that is turned into your state for the title. If the dealer financed the inventory, the dealer's finance company will also be shown and will need a release. So technically, if the dealer has it, the ownership has transferred to them, subject to payoff of any floor plan loan. So the dealership has possession, they own it, and once sold a title will be issued to you by your state.
__________________
Jim
Never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
Karmantra, I have been watching these too. I think you'd get laughed off the lot if you offered 50%-66% of the already reduced asking price of these trailers at this point. Here is one at the "fire sale" price of $24,000 (plus dealer fees): https://www.alpinhausrv.com/--xInven...inventory-link.

A warranty runs out in what, a year? Two years tops? If you were buying a 2 year old used molded FG trailer, would you expect to pay 50% of the original purchase price?
Life time warranty
https://www.alpinhausrv.com/exclusiv...y-forever-info
__________________

Rick In Mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2019 Hymer Touring GT550 Robert Baker General Chat 28 01-24-2019 11:01 AM
Hymer Touring GT fiberglass trailer info? Karmantra General Chat 4 01-20-2019 04:45 PM
Hymer FG, new kid on the block? MK Evenson General Chat 35 10-29-2018 03:36 AM
Under a fiberglass roof- Eriba Touring chse General Chat 5 07-29-2013 09:11 AM
Foreigners Touring US Pete Dumbleton General Chat 0 04-05-2008 05:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.