Probably Not a Fair Question but ... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2007, 08:26 AM   #1

Trailer: Airstream 16 ft OB
Sort of a related question. Is it normal for the trailer manufacturers to reduce their prices about now. I received flyers from Scamp and Casita offering some significant discounts. Or is that typical all the time marketing?
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Zeb, it's not like Scamp and Casita having tons of trailers on their lot waiting to be sold...unlike sticky manufacturers, etc. But, camping season is winding down for most of us and the manufacturers want to keep their employees busy. Usually people think about purchasing a trailer the same weekend they want to use it! Typically can't do that with molded fiberglass trailers. By offering end-of-the season discounts it's a win-win for buyer/manufacturer. The only problem is picking up the trailer in the dead of winter... few of us want to travel over the mountains in the snow and even few wish to camp in the snow.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
... few of us want to travel over the mountains in the snow and even few wish to camp in the snow.

But Donna, for most of the US and Canada the Casita and Scamp factories are NOT over the mountains and at least with Casita, it's a chance to camp and be OUTof the snow.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:37 AM   #4

Donna D - Another insightful answer. Forgot about that white and cold stuff to the North. Our camping season doesn't begin for another couple of months.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:49 AM   #5

... I'll ask it anyway. While comparing prices for the Scamp 19 and Escape 5.0 I asked the owner of Escape what justified the almost $5k difference between the two comparably equipped trailers. To his (Reece?) credit, he didn't want to put down his competitor in the process of trying to explain the differences but some modest answers were given. He also suggested reading a comparison written by Peterh, a member here. After reading his excellent comments I found myself still hungry for more information, which leads me to raising the same question here. Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to see any of the Escape products but I did look at a Scamp 16 and 19. So, for those that know both Scamp and Escape products, what do you say?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Escape.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Escape.
Why?
Old 09-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #8

Escape. The fit and finish is superior, no exterior riveting, the manufacturer is on the west coast... so am I (no shipping or cross country pickup), its'a true 5th wheel.. not a gooseneck, etc., etc.

Prior to building the first 5th wheel, Reace (who is a valued member of this forum) asked the members of this forum for opinions on what they'd like in a 5th wheel:
New Escape 5th Wheel. That alone really impressed me. I found it refreshing for a manufacturer to ask US what we wanted prior to the first build rather than telling us what we were going to have. If you read the topic, then check out the 5th wheel it's obvious (to me anyway) that Reace really did listen. Granted some of the ideas were not in the best interest for building, but some are only found on the Escape and not the Scamp (15" tires, electric jacks, etc.) It's MY opinion the Escape will last longer and look better than the Scamp over time. The fact there isn't anything "hanging out" like the propane tanks and stinky slinky tube certainly add to it's looks... there again it's my opinion.

Prior to Reace building the 5th wheel, I thought I would be purchasing a Scamp Deluxe 5th wheel in 2010. My retirement abode. Now, it's going to be an Escape!

PS: I've seen plenty of both up close and personal.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Ditto everything Donna said. Also I sent you a private message.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:
But Donna, for most of the US and Canada the Casita and Scamp factories are NOT over the mountains and at least with Casita, it's a chance to camp and be OUTof the snow.

I'm only talking about pickup in the winter. From Portland to Backus.. in a fairly straightline, there are LOTs of mountains. We've decided the reason we see more Casita's in this area than Scamps is because we can usually get to Texas without crossing too many mountain passes with snow. Bet in the future Escape really comes into it's own here too because of that!

We can camp here year around... it's usually just a little wet in the winter
Old 09-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
I wish the Escape 5.0 had more than one floor plan.
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:29 PM   #12

Quote:
I wish the Escape 5.0 had more than one floor plan.
What did you have in mind? Reace might be open to some conversation.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:55 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
Quote:
What did you have in mind?
I need more sleeping space. The Scamp 5er can be built with a 54 in. dinette/bed, a front couch with bunk and then the sleeping loft.
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:58 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
I need more sleeping space. The Scamp 5er can be built with a 54 in. dinette/bed, a front couch with bunk and then the sleeping loft.
The Escape 5.0 has a big lengthwise bed. This is a configuration that some Scamp 19' owners convert to (with lots of effort), and they started with the front couch (and side bath) setup that Kat's looking for. I can only guess that Reace responded to the most common request (for a big main bed), instead of just added a cross-wise bed in front of the Escape 17 floorplan.

The challenge of trying to meet everyone's varying requirements continues...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
I went with the Escape - Scamp is all the way on the other side of the country (and had their big fire during the time I was looking); Casita has lots of floor-plans (cool) but from the one's I've been inside, the fit-and-finish is better in the Escape (or at least, it appeals to me more).

Floorplans that look great on their site felt really cramped to me in real life.

Then there's a totally subjective, how is it to deal with the factory factor. The Casita website really turned me off (their philosophy on things) and I had a hard time getting information from them (could have been an anomoly - but that's my impression) while the Escape folks were very helpful and responsive.

Offhand, I can't remember the weight comparisons (very important consideration for me) - by the time I was into that detail, I was pretty much looking at only Bigfoot and Escape (and Escape is quite a bit lighter and a little narrower).

Total lack of problems with purchase of a new trailer: priceless!!!!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
You are correct. Your experience with Casita was an anomaly. I had a 100% perfect experience with them. Web sites do not show much. I went right to the telephone and looked at a number of them locally. Fully loaded my 2007 SD Casita was less $ than a base price Escape according to the Escape web page. Like you stated, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A lot depends on your location and exactly what you are looking for. If money was no option I would have an Airstream. If that was too much I'd go with a Bigfoot. With that said, for what I paid, my SD Casita was a great buy, works perfectly and has super resale value.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote