Problem dogs and the magic cure - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #15
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
We recently adopted a dog and have enrolled her in an obedience class. One thing the trainer told us is never use a retractable leash because you don't have control over the dog. She recommends using the standard 6' nylon leash.
You CAN have control of a dog with a retractable leash. My dogs know where the end of the leash is, they come when called when they are on it, and I can shorten it if I need to. But they have to be trained ON a retractable lead for it to work- if you train on a short leash, and then go to a retractable one, you may not have control.

Premier Pet makes a no-pull harness that I like better than the Halti or Gentle Leader, especially for short dogs. A lot of dogs hate the head collars, but they don't mind the anti-pull harness (called... hmm.. Easy Walk.)

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:36 AM   #16
Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
I wonder how the Gentle Leader would work on a disobidient Pug? My oldest daughter has one and the little guy is definately headstrong...but oh so cute.

D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:39 AM   #17
Name: Carol
Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
I wonder how the Gentle Leader would work on a disobidient Pug? My oldest daughter has one and the little guy is definately headstrong...but oh so cute.
I think a dog must have some sort of a snout for it to work!

a teeny little "Gentle Walk" (or whatever it is called), with the harness clasp in front may do the trick.
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:33 AM   #18
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
We just went for our first walk in a VERY full campground.

We went by:

A Bull Mastiff
A pit pull
A sheltie

Not a peep or struggle. From MY dogs.. the others were flippy tho.

Oddly enough, I stopped to talk to the "Casita" people (Thats another thread) I ran across, and he went flippy over the MINI chuhuawah (How ever you spell it) but calmed down 10 times faster than usual when he realized he couldn't do a thing about it.

I got one for the female. She is wearing it in "Get used to it mode" right now. We will try her on a walk later.

I am so pleased. I have gone from having the two most embarrassing things in the park to having the best behaved.

The instructions refer to a special one made for short snout dogs like pugs. I will see if I can find the name, but Petco could probably direct you to it. Same principle and use, just a different mechanical design.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote