Problems with "Stickies" and the RV Industry in General Continues - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat

Old 09-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #15

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Thanks Jon, a very informative post!

We've actually been looking at a few non-fiberglass trailers, like the Retros that Riverside RV makes. We've looked at a number of them, and we both like them. They get positive reviews on the web. Who knows?

Frank

2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
2001 F-150 XLT 4wd Super Cab 4.6L
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:12 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I'm a true believer in buying what makes you happy! It's far more about making memories than it ever will be about a brand or build type. New all-molded-towables are often out of the financial reach of young families. Still others are incapable of a major rebuild of an all-molded-towable if budget dictates buying used-and-abused. Frankly, I'd rather see people buy a sticky (and it's perhaps future problems), get out and see the world! If you have a young family, make memories makers that your children will cherish forever.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #17

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The term is often extended to include any trailer with a skin-over-frame superstructure, even if the framing is aluminum or steel rather than literal "sticks" of wood.

I have never been quite sure about the singular… "sticky" or "stickie"…

I have also never been quite sure whether Airstreams and similar aircraft-style trailers should be considered a sub-category of stickies or a category of their own.
Not stickies, just "tin cans".

Stan
Old 10-04-2016, 09:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We have owned both Molded, Stickie and sandwiched with aluminum fraiming with rubber roof and the only one we had a water leak is the Scamp.

Fiberglass is heavy and the new sandwiched type with aluminum fraiming gives you a larger RV with less weight.

So saying negative remarks about either type without actually owning and experiencing those problems is not justified.

Just Be nice.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:30 AM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
..So saying negative remarks about either type without actually owning and experiencing those problems is not justified...
I'm truly puzzled... I re-read the entire thread, and I can't see that anybody has done that.

Like many others here, I have owned conventional RVs before my current molded fiberglass trailer. One, a 1974 Holiday Rambler, was a very well-constructed, reliable trailer (but really heavy, in spite of the aluminum frame). The other two, a 1974 Jayco pop-up and a 1989 Toyota Itasca motorhome, suffered from leaks and structural failure. My Scamp, though not perfect, is simple to operate and maintain, and so far, leak-free.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:41 PM   #20

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm a true believer in buying what makes you happy! It's far more about making memories than it ever will be about a brand or build type. New all-molded-towables are often out of the financial reach of young families. Still others are incapable of a major rebuild of an all-molded-towable if budget dictates buying used-and-abused. Frankly, I'd rather see people buy a sticky (and it's perhaps future problems), get out and see the world! If you have a young family, make memories makers that your children will cherish forever.

I second that! Very well said Donna.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV