Problems with "Stickies" and the RV Industry in General Continues - Fiberglass RV

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat

Old 09-25-2016, 08:03 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
Problems with "Stickies" and the RV Industry in General Continues

Opinion: That’s just what happens with an RV | RV Daily Report

Yet with all these continued problems that RV owners continue to enjoy RV sales records continue to be set and industry event attendance continues to BOOM!!!

Looks like a whole nother generation of folks will be getting an expensive lesson!

http://rvdailyreport.com/industry/he...-record-again/

Old 09-25-2016, 08:22 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Buy molded fiberglass, buy used, keep it small and simple, stay far away from dealers and RV shows.

That's my take-away!

Old 09-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
"Stickie" lack of quality

I just rented a 17' "stickie" in Denver, Colorado for a quick vacation. The trailer was only a year old but it was already falling apart at the seams. The quality of construction and the materials were very poor. I just wonder why anyone would buy one of these things. I wound up regretting that I even rented one for a few days.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #4

Name: Pat
Trailer: Scamp 16' 2012
California
Stickies??

Is this what is called any RV that isn't a Fiberglas?? I had a 2012 16' Scamp I just sold. Loved it. But too small to live in full time with 2 little fur babies.
Where does the "stickies" description come in?? What does it refer to??
Sorry for my ignorance.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #5

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
A house is stick-built. IE. it's built with 2X4s ( sticks ).
A stickie is build the same ( 2X2s or? ) with a cladding.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:21 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry
The term is often extended to include any trailer with a skin-over-frame superstructure, even if the framing is aluminum or steel rather than literal "sticks" of wood.

I have never been quite sure about the singular… "sticky" or "stickie"…

I have also never been quite sure whether Airstreams and similar aircraft-style trailers should be considered a sub-category of stickies or a category of their own.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:34 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Buy molded fiberglass, buy used, keep it small and simple, stay far away from dealers and RV shows.

That's my take-away!
If everyone bought used and no one bought new there would be no used ones for the next generation ,they have to start somewhere.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:46 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
If everyone bought used and no one bought new there would be no used ones for the next generation ,they have to start somewhere.
Of course. But it probably won't be me!

With molded fiberglass I might make an exception. But only if I couldn't find a used one that met my needs.

I would never buy a brand new conventional RV.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #9

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I have also never been quite sure whether Airstreams and similar aircraft-style trailers should be considered a sub-category of stickies or a category of their own.
Definitely a category all their own

Definitely not a sticky due to the lack of wood in the main structure.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:01 AM   #10

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Is a Livin' Lite a stickie? Just saying!

Sent from my Nexus using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #11

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I had my own woes with Parkliner, but thankfully, one way or another (usually another!), our egg is now in good shape, but absolutely no thanks to the dude that designed the trailer and owned the company.

If we had had half a brain, we would have bought an Escape to begin with. Now there is a company that takes care of their owners!

We're still not sure what to do - if we'll keep the Parkliner or sell if and get something that is better supported by the manufacturer.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
2001 F-150 XLT 4wd Super Cab 4.6L
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #12

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
Is a Livin' Lite a stickie? Just saying!
What do you think Marky? Certainly not all-molded. Just saying!
Attached Thumbnails
LivinLite.JPG  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #13

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Hmmm. I was sorry to read, (in the first link), that the lady said she ran into the same complaints from an owner of a Casita. I guess it would be too much to hope that somewhere there is an actual statistical analysis of problems experienced with each brand - like Consumer Reports does with cars and appliances.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #14

Arizona
Registry
I'm not sure who coined the term "stickie" and when, but its use has evolved, and likely means different things to different people.

It's not in my dictionary, so I have to speculate a little.

My guess is that it originally described wood-framed ("sticks"), aluminum-skinned trailers:

Name:   Sticky.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  13.7 KB
This remains the fastest, lowest cost way to build a trailer, and plenty are still built this way.

Today many builds replace the wood frame with aluminum. A variety of materials are used to skin the trailer, including aluminum and fiberglass. Some even use molded fiberglass for some of the panels (which does not qualify them as all-molded fiberglass). Livin' Lite's Camplite line is somewhat unique in that it uses aluminum for much of the chassis as well as the superstructure:

Name:   Camplite.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  7.9 KB
Here's a more conventional aluminum-framed fifth wheel on a steel chassis:

Name:   Fiver.png
Views: 123
Size:  83.2 KB

Airstream was a pioneer in the use of aluminum for the upper frame, but what continues to distinguish Airstream from other aluminum-framed trailers is the shape and, especially, the aircraft-stye riveted aluminum skin. Here's an Airstream frame:

Name:   Airstream.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  9.4 KB

Many builds now use laminated structural panels. Outer skin, insulation, structural wood, and interior paneling are bonded together with adhesives before being installed on the chassis.

So what's a stickie?

On this forum, it often means anything other than all-molded fiberglass. That includes Airstreams, Camplites, laminated trailers, aluminum-framed trailers, as well as modern and vintage wood-framed trailers.

I'd be willing to bet that on a general RV forum, it retains its narrower sense of a trailer having a wood frame.

I've heard that on the Airstream forum, "SOB" means anything that's not an Airstream. I suppose it is meant to be pejorative, much as we use "stickie" here. Myself, I don't find anything insulting about being called a Son of a Boler…

It is presumptuous to think that any type of trailer, including all-molded fiberglass, is immune to the general woes of the RV industry. For one they all use many of the same components and mechanical systems. For another, careless assembly can happen anywhere, even Oliver or Airstream or Prevost. It doesn't help that many plants are running at full capacity during the current cheap-gas-fueled sales boom. It doesn't help that modern RVs take almost every system and feature you have in your house, and some you don't, like a 12V system, cram it into a space smaller than your garage, make it light enough to tow, and subject it to earthquake-like forces every time it rolls down the highway.

Some manufacturers have better quality control in the manufacturing process, and some handle post-purchase problems better than others. Unfortunately, there are no independent consumer organizations collecting data, so the buyer is left to sift various anecdotal reports found online at sites like this one. One reason is money. It takes a lot of paid subscriptions to keep a no-advertising organization like Consumer Reports afloat. I doubt you'll get enough RVers to cough up the money. Another is the rapid turnover of makes and models. As soon as a brand gets a bad reputation, it disappears and the same company and plant starts making a "new and improved" line of trailers.