Prodigy brake controller setting? - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I havent really set my brake controller yet.... My RV dealer installed it for free beings it was already wired.... I did take the trailer over there yesterday to have some old calking taken off and replaced. ( small drip coming from the blk water tank pcv pipe)
Anyways I noticed it was only reading 0.06? what is the average setting it needs to be at?
I pull a 5er with the Ford Ranger.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 AM   #2

Trailer: Summit Weekend Refuge
Christi,

The reading should vary depending upon how hard you are braking. The manual says (and I am quoting from memory, here, so you should have a look) that you should press the manual activation switch and adjust for around 5.0 (I hope it wasn't 6.0!). Anyway, that's just the start. Then you should take your rig out and fine tune the level until you feel the braking action is about right. When I use mine, I press the manual activator when coming to a stop (with no one else around!) and adjust until I feel that the trailer brakes alone are about right. Try playing around with it and you'll get the feel for it.

Good luck.

Art

Old 02-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #3

ok thanks.. i will do that when i bring it home...
Is there a manual on line somewhere.. I bought this one used and one didnt come with it....
Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #4

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I believe that the instructions say to find a lightly traveled road. Going at about 25 mph increase the braking power control to the point where the wheels just lock up with the manual control. Back off to the point they stop locking when the manual control is push to max.

The idea is that you don't want the trailer brakes to lock going into a panic stop, but you want maximum braking without locking up.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #5

thank you...!! we have an industral area a few blocks from me that is being developed with hardly any traffic.. i can go over there to do that...
Old 02-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #6

Name: Orlen
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Colorado
Quote:
ok thanks.. i will do that when i bring it home...
Is there a manual on line somewhere.. I bought this one used and one didnt come with it....

go to www.tekonsha.com/prodig.html for the manual, installation instructions, wiring instructions and a troubleshooting guide.

Orlen
Old 02-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #7

I think Byron is right about the recommendation in the manual; however, I am a bit reluctant to chance locking the wheels entirely. Seems a little dangerous to me. So I just adjust until the braking from the trailer alone is very hard.

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention that the "initial adjustment" I was talking about was with the rig stationary.

Good luck.

If you can't find the manual on-line, let me know and I will scan mine in and e-mail it to you.

Art
Old 02-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I havent really set my brake controller yet.... My RV dealer installed it for free beings it was already wired.... I did take the trailer over there yesterday to have some old calking taken off and replaced. ( small drip coming from the blk water tank pcv pipe)
Anyways I noticed it was only reading 0.06? what is the average setting it needs to be at?
I pull a 5er with the Ford Ranger.
Is your unit a P3 Tekonsha?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Is your unit a P3 Tekonsha?
RICK..
is that the newer ones? If so no its not.... I was going to IM you but apparently mine is disables or not working
Old 02-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #10

Art... i went to their homepage .. its showing english on the screen but printing out in Spanish!! UGh!! that doesnt do me alot of good...
Old 02-12-2008, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
RICK..
is that the newer ones? If so no its not.... I was going to IM you but apparently mine is disables or not working
+++++++++++++

I have the P3, but they still make the regular Prodigy, with I think, version 2.6 being out. Tekonsha has a toll-free support line and I have found them helpful.

Rick
Old 02-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #12

Christi:

I found the manual on-line

http://www.tekonsha.com/instructions/Prodi...689_H%20web.pdf

Hope this helps
Old 02-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #13

Hi, Christi,

Were you able to download from the link that Rick B posted? It worked fine for me.

The initial adjustment procedure is at the bottom right of the first (English) page. Says to adjust to a level of 6.0 manually when stationary.

Also, I thought I would mention a problem I had first time out. The trailer brakes seemed too sensitive and were grabbing. I felt it was pretty dangerous, it was night time, and we were having a problem finding a place to overnight. By hacking around, I managed to solve the problem. Next morning, reading the manual carefully, I realized that I had turned on the boost feature accidentally!

Thought I would mention this just in case your setup shows the same symptoms so you will have a place to start looking!

Good luck.

Art
Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 AM   #14

Art

yes I got it printed out thank you.. NOW its a matter of getting it to the adjustment...LOL It didnt take to long with my 16SD so I should be able to figure it out.. I hope.. thanks for all the help.

Just 2 pages were in English??