Propane campfire - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-31-2006, 01:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 Scamp
Anyone ever use a propane campfire? There are a bunch of manufacturers out there, just not sure if this is worth the investment.

I live in CO where there is a fire ban for most of the summer, and the nights are pretty cool after the sun goes down.

here are a few links:

http://www.thstore.com/thstore/ProductInfo...amp;GroupID=243

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...;category=16036

http://www.campfireinacan.com/

http://www.port-a-fire.ca/
Dave VanWormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I check out Colorados information on camp fire bans. It appears the many of the above items might NOT be allowed either.
For a complete list and links to exact ban by loacation go here.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Thanks Dave for the list. I which I had known of those a few years back.

I had to create a campfire for a Boy Scout ceremony. There too was a fire ban. I took a burner from an old water heater and connected a propane supply to it. I placed it in a plow disc and set it up in an open dirt assembly area. I placed ceramic logs over the burner.

It worked great, but sure didn’t look as pretty as those commercial ones.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:06 PM   #4

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Solution: 50 inch plasma TV put on end, DVD player with campfire tracks set to auto-repeat. For hot air hire a politician to tell campfire stories.

Oh, sorry, not practical.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Ok there is one more propane campfire to add to the list. I typed in Yukon propane campfire, and up came "Yukon Legend". Wow, they sure aren't cheap are they!! On the other hand, sitting outside a trailer during the campfire ban would make it much more enjoyable in the evening. I sat with an elderly tourist where I reside and hey, you know what it gave off heat, and I found myself mesmerized by the flames. Bonnie W.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
We have 2 propane fire pits, one is the PortaFire (as illustrated) and the other is just called a Fire Pit! The PortaFire out "fires" the other fire pit hands down, with easily twice the size/heat of flames and the gas consumption to prove it. The Fire Pit however is more easy to regulate the heat n flames with PLUS its zero clearance on the bottom. We have used it on a carpeted deck and you'd never even know we were there. The PortaFire on the otherhand would leave a very definite tell tale scorch mark!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:42 AM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have used the leftover rocks and ceramic logs (The small ones) from my gas fire at home in one of those cheapy gas BBQs here in the San Bernardino National Forest during fire bans.

This is one of the touchiest areas of the country for open flame.

They are legal and considered a gas stove. Keep it within reason, and on a table top. The forest service will check, but leave you alone after they check your stove permit. I had one tell me that was a very clever idea.

The only reason I quit using it was it is a bit cumbersome to carry around, they don't give off much heat in comparison to the cold you have to fight and frankly, eh, I would just rather go to bed.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:50 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
The forest service will check, but leave you alone after they check your stove permit.
Stove permit??? California requires a permit to have a stove?
Old 11-01-2006, 10:08 AM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Yes. Your name is taken and the location you SAY you are going to be in if using a dispersed site.

Any open flame here, regardless of the ignition/burn source, with the exception of fire rings, in monitored designated camp areas, requires a permit. Inside your trailer does not require a permit.

San Bernardino NF Fire restrictions

They have caught and charged more than a few people here with fire clean up from thier irresponsible use by tracking thier permits.

Unfortunately, most are never caught.

As mentioned, this is probably the biggest tinderbox in the country right now. Last weeks news explains that graphically.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:10 AM   #10

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
Quote:
Solution: 50 inch plasma TV put on end, DVD player with campfire tracks set to auto-repeat. For hot air hire a politician to tell campfire stories.

Oh, sorry, not practical.
12 hours of OPB's Yule Log show on tape. Plasma TV optional but much desired.