Propane cylinder alert - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The age of the tank is not the only rule that can cause an issue when trying to get a propane tank refilled. I had a white 20 lb tank that I used to run the heater in my deer stand. Some drunken idiot in our area mistook a white 20 lb propane tank for the back end of a deer and shot the tank causing a large explosion .I being stupid / cautious painted my propane tank blaze orange
When I went to get the tank filled they refused because the tank was not painted white or silver
Dark colors absorb heat and the tank heats up and over pressure
I had to repaint the tank white .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #22

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I've had one out of date that failed while filling it all we could do was move it away and wait for the propane to vent off. The tank didn't look bad and that's why the guy said he would fill it.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #23

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
Getting an exchange tank is one easy way around this problem, as others have pointed out.

Another route, is coming available soon, if you live in a college town. Many college students are leaving for the summer. Some will ship their propane grills, but can't, of course, ship the tanks. We have a glut of tanks appear at the wally world every spring when the students are told by the movers that they can't transport the grill tank - so many that they're outside the cage. It's a free propane bottle exchange - leave what you don't want, take what you do.

Last year I swapped Blue Rhino my expired mid 1990s tank for a one-year-old Worthington tank with the magnetic float level gauge. Took the Worthington over to my favorite local propane vendor (a builder's supply that does it to fuel their forklifts) and filled it. It's now on the tongue of the Casita, and so I always know how much propane is in at least one of the tanks...
steelypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:23 PM   #24

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
U Haul

I just found out you can order new tanks from U Haul, have them shipped to a local U haul business...and they come with a gauge! I need new tanks, that is my choice of supplier, I want the gauges...plus competitive price.
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:14 PM   #25

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Some probably know about this but for those that don't....

I took my 20lb tank into Tractor Supply today to get it refilled only to be turned away. Apparently the recertification time was reduced from 12 years to 10 years effective last January. My 2006 tank is now scrap metal. While the tank can be recertified, the cost is more than a new tank. Not much on line about this but we did find this.

DOT cylinder requalification rule to impact propane marketers : LP Gas

LP Gas Magazine. Go figure.
:try u-Haul they might recertify cheaper or just fill the tank.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I don't see how this would become a non-issue. A law is a law and it only can be changed by Congress or, sometimes, by a good executive order. Our cost will jump instantly. I am simply stating the fact, no more than that.
My "non issue" comment is simple Paul. That one time, out of all the times I've had tanks filled, was the only time anyone has looked at the date on my tanks. If no one actually looks, it pretty much becomes moot, law or not
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:28 PM   #27

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leej View Post
I just found out you can order new tanks from U Haul, have them shipped to a local U haul business...and they come with a gauge! I need new tanks, that is my choice of supplier, I want the gauges...plus competitive price.
BJs Warehouse in the US has 20 lb tanks with float gauges for $30 for members. They are not available online / delivered. They are also not filled but BJ's here will fill them at a fair price.

I actually joined BJs last year to get one of these, and decided not to renew my membership because most everything they sell is not really priced very competitively. But if you are a member, or have Sams club, etc., or have a good friend who is a member, you might get a similar deal.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #28

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Looked at the U haul site, they don't say if the gauge is pressure or a float.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:55 PM   #29

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Propane Gas Tank

Took my tank to the Local gas supplier and they inspected it, re-stamped it and then refilled it for only the cost of the propane.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:53 PM   #30

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
My "non issue" comment is simple Paul. That one time, out of all the times I've had tanks filled, was the only time anyone has looked at the date on my tanks. If no one actually looks, it pretty much becomes moot, law or not
In our area the people who fill the tanks do check the date stamps every time. I was never turned away, but I look at those stamps myself and I have taken advantage of the exchange and got a newer cylinder at least once.

My skin just gets thinner and thinner every time I see a new regulation, or a change of existing one, that does not make a lot of sense. I should chill, I guess.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:25 AM   #31

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[QUOTE=Paul O.;My skin just gets thinner and thinner every time I see a new regulation, or a change of existing one, that does not make a lot of sense. I should chill, I guess.[/QUOTE]

I TOTALLY agree with you Paul. I'm in Ca and see those kinds of things often . I'm still chillin' but AZ is looking better all the time.....
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #32

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Well, thanks for the heads up on this. My Bigfoot has a pair of 30 lb tanks so can't be exchanged at the usual vendors. Since the trailer is a 2004 model, it is safe to assume that the tanks are at least 13 years old. I just had them filled yesterday at a local Cenex station, without a date check. But now I have to assume that the next time I fill them while on a road trip, I could be turned away. I guess it is way past time to go ahead and shop for new ones.

I may even consider switching to 20 lb tanks. While the extra capacity is nice, the big tanks weigh nearly 70 pounds when full and are a huge pain to get them in and out of the Bigfoot propane cover. Have to lift them quite high to get them in and out of that little door.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:27 AM   #33

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I TOTALLY agree with you Paul. I'm in Ca and see those kinds of things often . I'm still chillin' but AZ is looking better all the time.....
We would like to have you here in AZ. also.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:35 PM   #34

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Talking Regs are for a reason

For all the gripers about changing out tanks, there's a good reason - primarily the valve system may malfunction. My tank valve blew out after refilling; the local FD crew and I waited until it was done spewing propane gas. It was <10 years old.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #35

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Compare costs.

When you compare the cost of a new Propane cylinder vs the cost of your trailer it seems to me a no brainer. Even 30 lb cylinders are pretty cheap at around $60.00 each. Two of the $120 for 12 years worth of use. That's a bank breaking $10 per year. WOW! And some are worried about spending that kind of money.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #36

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2010 Casita SD
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
When you compare the cost of a new Propane cylinder vs the cost of your trailer it seems to me a no brainer. Even 30 lb cylinders are pretty cheap at around $60.00 each. Two of the $120 for 12 years worth of use. That's a bank breaking $10 per year. WOW! And some are worried about spending that kind of money.
Actually its 10 years now and not 12. The issue for me is why they made the change. They don't seem to have any evidence of an increase in failures from 10 to 12 years. If they go the route of most regulations once they get started they just keep on going. In 10 years no telling what they be, maybe we have disposable one time use tanks or have to get them recertified at every fillup.
Government regulations seldom decrease over time.
Patxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:17 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patxx View Post
They don't seem to have any evidence of an increase in failures from 10 to 12 years.
What is your evidence for this statement?
Old 05-04-2017, 03:45 PM   #38

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2010 Casita SD
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
What is your evidence for this statement?
Only statement I found on this is from that link in the first post.
Toward the bottom of it--
Sarah Reboli, director of regulatory affairs at NPGA makes the following statement.
"The second concern is that this change has come across without any discussion, rationale, justification or evaluation."

I recommend that you read the whole statement but that is what I got from what she said. If you have other evidence or find any than post it.
Patxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:45 PM   #39

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Different certification requirements

On our trip to Alaska through Canada last year, our 11 year old tanks that were still OK in the USA were not fillable while in Canada due to their 10 year rule. I tried more than one place but they actually seem to look at the dates up there! Fortunately I had a new tank with gauge, but that was my spare, so the empty tank just went along for the ride til we got to Alaska (where they didn't bother checking the date).
At least if both countries had the same rules for 10 years I would have been prepared for Canada.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:46 PM   #40
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
When you compare the cost of a new Propane cylinder vs the cost of your trailer it seems to me a no brainer. .
I agree. For < $40 I can buy a new tank that is full. I will know the history of the tank which is worth the difference in cost over going the exchange route. I'll buy a new one this year and a second next year.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane