Propane cylinder alert - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-03-2017, 06:18 AM   #15

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Yup, it's always the messenger that takes the heat, I've been on the other end and it can be rough. Thanks for the info on the rule change...I won't go off on someone if it comes up . On the other hand, I've only had one time that someone wouldn't fill my tanks because of a date and the tanks were shinny and looked new but that was at a large LP suppliers outlet. Never had anyone ever even look for dates other than that time. This change may end up being a non issue unless your tanks are rusty, dunno.
I don't see how this would become a non-issue. A law is a law and it only can be changed by Congress or, sometimes, by a good executive order. Our cost will jump instantly. I am simply stating the fact, no more than that.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:52 AM   #16

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Yup, it's always the messenger that takes the heat, I've been on the other end and it can be rough. Thanks for the info on the rule change...I won't go off on someone if it comes up . On the other hand, I've only had one time that someone wouldn't fill my tanks because of a date and the tanks were shinny and looked new but that was at a large LP suppliers outlet. Never had anyone ever even look for dates other than that time. This change may end up being a non issue unless your tanks are rusty, dunno.
This is not a new rule but has been in effect for awhile. I had taken that course back in 2008 and some of the bottles I seen were stamped as early as 1990.
The rust on outside is just one factor when they test the bottle to be recertified. The OPD valve has to work properly and leaks on the purge port.
The documentation and inspection is for you safty and the protection of the establishment and person, yes we had to sign the ledger too, filling bottle.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
People being what they are, you may be able to find someone, somewhere, who will go ahead and fill an out-of-date tank. Most of the time, no harm comes of it.

I recall a few months after OPD valves first became mandatory, an employee at a local RV park filled my non-OPD tank in violation of the law and warned me about the new rule. I doubt you would find anyone overlooking that rule now.

When there is a rule change, there is a time of adjustment, and you may find some laxity (or grace, perhaps) in enforcement. Eventually liability insurance carriers have their way.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:23 AM   #18

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Quebec
Registry
As far as I know, it has always been 10 years in Canada.
I had my 10# tank recertified about 3 years ago. My understanding this involves a visual inspection (no rust or damage), they put on a new valve, do a pressure test, and stamp a new date on the collar. Cost me $40 including a purge and refill. Good for another 10 years. Cheaper than buying a new 10# (abt 65$).

A refill costs about $7 or $8 for a 20# around here, flat rate, half as much for my 10#.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #19

Name: Ralph
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Just to add to the confusion

DOT halts 10-year cylinder requalification enforcement during review
DOT halts 10-year cylinder requalification enforcement during review : LP Gas

I tried to find the current rules on the DOT website but what I found was unintelligible.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #20

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
take it to a propane exchange place, like a Blue Rhino dealer and trade it for a tank with a more recent date. Yes I know they don't completely fill the tanks, but you can get a newer tank in the deal.
^This.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #21

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
The age of the tank is not the only rule that can cause an issue when trying to get a propane tank refilled. I had a white 20 lb tank that I used to run the heater in my deer stand. Some drunken idiot in our area mistook a white 20 lb propane tank for the back end of a deer and shot the tank causing a large explosion .I being stupid / cautious painted my propane tank blaze orange
When I went to get the tank filled they refused because the tank was not painted white or silver
Dark colors absorb heat and the tank heats up and over pressure
I had to repaint the tank white .
Old 05-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #22

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I've had one out of date that failed while filling it all we could do was move it away and wait for the propane to vent off. The tank didn't look bad and that's why the guy said he would fill it.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #23

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
Getting an exchange tank is one easy way around this problem, as others have pointed out.

Another route, is coming available soon, if you live in a college town. Many college students are leaving for the summer. Some will ship their propane grills, but can't, of course, ship the tanks. We have a glut of tanks appear at the wally world every spring when the students are told by the movers that they can't transport the grill tank - so many that they're outside the cage. It's a free propane bottle exchange - leave what you don't want, take what you do.

Last year I swapped Blue Rhino my expired mid 1990s tank for a one-year-old Worthington tank with the magnetic float level gauge. Took the Worthington over to my favorite local propane vendor (a builder's supply that does it to fuel their forklifts) and filled it. It's now on the tongue of the Casita, and so I always know how much propane is in at least one of the tanks...
Old 05-03-2017, 02:23 PM   #24

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
California
U Haul

I just found out you can order new tanks from U Haul, have them shipped to a local U haul business...and they come with a gauge! I need new tanks, that is my choice of supplier, I want the gauges...plus competitive price.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:14 PM   #25

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Some probably know about this but for those that don't....

I took my 20lb tank into Tractor Supply today to get it refilled only to be turned away. Apparently the recertification time was reduced from 12 years to 10 years effective last January. My 2006 tank is now scrap metal. While the tank can be recertified, the cost is more than a new tank. Not much on line about this but we did find this.

DOT cylinder requalification rule to impact propane marketers : LP Gas

LP Gas Magazine. Go figure.
:try u-Haul they might recertify cheaper or just fill the tank.
Stude
Old 05-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I don't see how this would become a non-issue. A law is a law and it only can be changed by Congress or, sometimes, by a good executive order. Our cost will jump instantly. I am simply stating the fact, no more than that.
My "non issue" comment is simple Paul. That one time, out of all the times I've had tanks filled, was the only time anyone has looked at the date on my tanks. If no one actually looks, it pretty much becomes moot, law or not
Old 05-03-2017, 04:28 PM   #27

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leej View Post
I just found out you can order new tanks from U Haul, have them shipped to a local U haul business...and they come with a gauge! I need new tanks, that is my choice of supplier, I want the gauges...plus competitive price.
BJs Warehouse in the US has 20 lb tanks with float gauges for $30 for members. They are not available online / delivered. They are also not filled but BJ's here will fill them at a fair price.

I actually joined BJs last year to get one of these, and decided not to renew my membership because most everything they sell is not really priced very competitively. But if you are a member, or have Sams club, etc., or have a good friend who is a member, you might get a similar deal.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #28

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Looked at the U haul site, they don't say if the gauge is pressure or a float.

Tags
propane