Propane cylinder alert - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-02-2017, 03:46 PM   #1
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Propane cylinder alert

Some probably know about this but for those that don't....

I took my 20lb tank into Tractor Supply today to get it refilled only to be turned away. Apparently the recertification time was reduced from 12 years to 10 years effective last January. My 2006 tank is now scrap metal. While the tank can be recertified, the cost is more than a new tank. Not much on line about this but we did find this.

DOT cylinder requalification rule to impact propane marketers : LP Gas

LP Gas Magazine. Go figure.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:24 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
You might try taking it to a place that only sells propane. They might recertify it for a more reasonable amount.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:42 PM   #3

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Some probably know about this but for those that don't....

I took my 20lb tank into Tractor Supply today to get it refilled only to be turned away. Apparently the recertification time was reduced from 12 years to 10 years effective last January. My 2006 tank is now scrap metal. While the tank can be recertified, the cost is more than a new tank. Not much on line about this but we did find this.

LP Gas Magazine. Go figure.
Thanks for the heads up note.
As for me my tank was due last summer (12 years) so I simply bought a new tank. I think the cost was under $30.00, not a bank breaker considering the total trailer investment it's very little.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
take it to a propane exchange place, like a Blue Rhino dealer and trade it for a tank with a more recent date. Yes I know they don't completely fill the tanks, but you can get a newer tank in the deal.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:23 PM   #5

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2010 Casita SD
Mississippi
Has anyone seen any data on the failure rate of ones tested at 12 years?
You would like to think this was based on an actual safety issue.
What do people do with the old cylinders if they don't get them recertified?

I am all for it if their was a significant increase in failure between 10 and 12 years.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
When I worked for a bulk propane supplier we also filled the 20 lb tanks and those for fork trucks. The inspections were just a visual inspection and then we stamped the current date on them. I had to scrap one of my own when I found rust pits in the bottom. My local transfer station (dump) charges a $5 fee to take old 20 pounders. There's always a lot of them there stacked on pallets. I always wonder why people don't just trade them in at a Blue Rhino dealer. When I was working we had Blue Rhino as a truck lease customer. One driver frequently ran from New England to Virginia with a load of 20's where they had a refurbishing plant where the tanks were inspected and painted, or scrapped if no good. If we needed a tank any of the drivers would give us a full one. I got a few empty 11 pounders one time because they didn't want them.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:52 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1984 13' UHaul
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
take it to a propane exchange place, like a Blue Rhino dealer and trade it for a tank with a more recent date. Yes I know they don't completely fill the tanks, but you can get a newer tank in the deal.
Just another government money making scheme. Like you, I would like to see the failure rate...
Old 05-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
I just searched and the only useful info I could find was here:

Here is a quote from that write-up and it does not inspire confidence in those who came up with the change (rational justification <- is it a foreign language?):
“We have a practical concern that now marketers must make a change to how they conduct business, how they review and requalify cylinders and how they educate and train employees,” says Sarah Reboli, director of regulatory affairs at NPGA. “The second concern is that this change has come across without any discussion, rationale, justification or evaluation. After the rule had been finalized, we identified that the change quite literally snuck into the back of the rulemaking.”
Old 05-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #9
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I just searched and the only useful info I could find was here:

Here is a quote from that write-up and it does not inspire confidence in those who came up with the change (rational justification <- is it a foreign language?):
“We have a practical concern that now marketers must make a change to how they conduct business, how they review and requalify cylinders and how they educate and train employees,” says Sarah Reboli, director of regulatory affairs at NPGA. “The second concern is that this change has come across without any discussion, rationale, justification or evaluation. After the rule had been finalized, we identified that the change quite literally snuck into the back of the rulemaking.”
Yes......but propane tank manufacturers must be gleeful, jumping for joy. Their potential profit just jumped by approximately 16%.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:15 AM   #10
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I have three tanks, two of which are now obsolete. A local gas company does recertification of tanks but apparently it takes several weeks for them to get to them and the cost is higher than a new tank. An exchange tank is $30 and comes with 15 lbs of gas. A new tank, filled, is less than $40 at Tractor Supply. They seem to be the only place around here that meters gas and charges the current rate per gallon ($2.19). Everywhere else is a flat fee, typically $16- $20. I feel bad for the young lady who had to tell us about the law change. She's already had some arguments and the season is just getting started.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:09 AM   #11

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
While working in Campgrounds we took a 3 hour course, given by local propane dealer so we knew the basics of Propane and the filling of propane bottles.
We had to document the year of bottle every time we filled one for not only the year but the month is stamped on neck.
12 years for new bottle and 10 years for an "E" date or recertified date.
Also visually inspection was required and rust along the bottom lip was also a factor in us not filling a bottle.
Also there was a fact that if we found a bottle that had a blue-ish- stain around the valve not to fill it as the bottle. Bottle was contaminated with HMMM I forgot...it's been years.
When exchanging Bottles at local stores, I check the date on the coller to make sure I will get the longest use for refills at filling stations.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:22 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Yup, it's always the messenger that takes the heat, I've been on the other end and it can be rough. Thanks for the info on the rule change...I won't go off on someone if it comes up . On the other hand, I've only had one time that someone wouldn't fill my tanks because of a date and the tanks were shinny and looked new but that was at a large LP suppliers outlet. Never had anyone ever even look for dates other than that time. This change may end up being a non issue unless your tanks are rusty, dunno.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:48 AM   #13

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
You can find pretty much anything on the internet

Old 05-03-2017, 05:51 AM   #14

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
That's awesome!

http://www.burnedbydesign.com/

Tags