Turn off when getting gas or when in a tunnel. 5 9.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm sure you've seen video or stills of one of those 100 vehicle crashes on one interstate or another. Don't really need to add propane.
A couple decades ago, propane was really cheap and just about every taxi and tow truck here, plus lots of pickup trucks, ran on big tanks of propane. I don't recall any of them being a problem in a crash.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #16

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I never had good luck trying to travel with the refrigerator on with propane (flame would blow out no matter how many baffles I tried to control wind) or with 12 volt setting, as wind would "cool" the heating element. I now have a 12 volt compressor style refrigerator running all the time..... nice and cold.
I do agree it is not safe to have the gas turned on while traveling.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #17

Name: Alan
Trailer: FORMERLY:Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree. Life is not that consistent.

Understood ... just trying to gauge the "feelings" of the community.

I am sure there are those who run with it on even tho they voted always turn it off... sometimes we/they may forget or just elect to do it once in a while. Kind of like seat belts. I am sure THAT poll would be at least 80/20 in favor of "I always wear mine", but sometimes folks really and truly forget to put them on. I suppose it was intended to measure more of intent or preference than actual results, because Your Mileage May Vary. lol
Old 04-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #18

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
A couple decades ago, propane was really cheap and just about every taxi and tow truck here, plus lots of pickup trucks, ran on big tanks of propane. I don't recall any of them being a problem in a crash.
I don't think it's the tank that's the issue. It's the connections to the appliances that could be broken in even a minor accident, and the flame at the appliance.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Off
Old 04-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #20

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
I have my tank turned off and the line disconnected while traveling. Our trips are usually short and the frig is used for a storage area for can goods and such. I have a cooler and we usually shop daily for fresh meats and such. Have removed the heater as too warm. Don,t do cold weather camping and just carry a small ceramic heated ,110 volt and a portable propane heater.if we run into a cold evening I can conect the gas and turn the stove on for a period of time to warm up and then turn off and discounted the line. Feel safer when sleeping to know gas is OFF .
Old 04-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I'm in the minority here- one of those (few?) that run with propane on unless in tunnels/gassing up, which I presumed also to mean on ferries.

Interesting to note that this often-asked question at other, bigger/broader sites usually results in a split opposite to that we're seeing here.
(see links to some samples below)
By a wide margin, at least according to informal polls such as this one, most RV's run with propane on unless fueling or in tunnels/ferries etc.

Francesca

Samples from other sites:

Those from Woodalls don't have a poll/post count format- my rough count is approximately a hundred posts with nine firm "no's". Of course, a lot of the rest are just folks arguing about their positions so no percentages can be drawn...
Open roads one

Open roads two

IRV2- twenty posts, "no's" zero

IRV2: Twenty-eight posts, "no's" one

And if anyone's interested in investigating this phenomenon further, here are over two thousand more results from my Google search for this topic just at IRV2 (our Sister Site here in the Social Knowledge family).!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I'm in the minority here- one of those (few?) that run with propane on unless in tunnels/gassing up, which I presumed also to mean on ferries.
A page we are both on, wow!!!

I do look at the last two voting categories as the same thing.

I had never even considered a need or want by anyone for turning it off until the issue was raised on the Escape forum a few years back.

If you really twist the facts the right way, you can come up with a slightly plausible situation where there could be a problem, but in reality anything coming of running with the propane on is almost non-existent.

Too many other more serious issues in life to worry about for me. To each their own though, as long as you follow the law.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #23

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I run with mine off.
Keep a number of small freezer packs in my freezer section - which I use to put around items in the main fridge compartment that really need it - ie meat and dairy products.
If you dont open the fridge at all while traveling everything in there that needs to stay safe will.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #24

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
To repeat some of what I have said elsewhere, the RV Safety and Education Foundation says that most experts advise turning off the propane.

The Canadian Propane Association says that it is illegal in most provinces to travel with the propane on.

The About dot come site on RV Safety says it is a "no-brainer" to turn off the propane and that people often make the "mistake" of leaving it on when traveling.

In the U.S., it is sometimes illegal to have on, in some states or in tunnels or on some bridges or highways.

Good Sam says that they receive many calls due to refrigerator fires. I note that someone here had such a fire.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #25

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
The Canadian Propane Association says that it is illegal in most provinces to travel with the propane on.
Cathy, not sure if you were on the Escape forum when this was discussed. I contacted the Departments of Transport for every province and territory in Canada asking whether or not one could travel with the propane system turned on, and every last one of them told me that there was nothing illegal about it. Of course, where posted otherwise one must turn it off.

I have never actually seen a sign at a fuel station, in Canada or the US asking to turn the propane off. Maybe I am just not paying attention? I will have a better look the next time I fuel up.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #26

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have never actually seen a sign at a fuel station, in Canada or the US asking to turn the propane off. Maybe I am just not paying attention? I will have a better look the next time I fuel up.
Have you seen the signs not to use a cell phone?
Old 04-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #27

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I just realize I answered incorrectly- I only turn off the whole tank when instructed to do so for tunnels/ferries etc.

My experience with gas stations is that there often are signs re. " no smoking or open flames", due to the volatility of even gasoline fumes, or so I've been told. Since my fridge runs off a flame I've always just turned off the fridge rather than the whole tank itself. My experience is that turning it off at the tank doesn't immediately extinguish the flame as the fridge can burn for some time on whatever remains in the line.

If I had a water heater that stayed "on", I s'pose I'd turn that off, too.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #28

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Have you seen the signs not to use a cell phone?
Yes, but not for many years now.

Tags
propane