Turn off when getting gas or when in a tunnel. 5 9.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #29

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have never actually seen a sign at a fuel station, in Canada or the US asking to turn the propane off.
I agree. It is necessary to extinguish pilot lights - and turn off electronic ignition appliances - because they are ignition sources. I have never seen a sign at a fuel station requiring the tank valve to be turned off... because there's no reason to do so.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Registry
In a previous life in the wholesale plumbing industry, many years ago, we had a saying, "Go modern, Go gas, Go BOOM!" We pre-cool for 12-24 hours before departure and switch over to 12v. Seems to work fine, but we try to limit travel to about 4 hours per day. Your results may vary.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #31

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Always off. If something can go wrong it probably will for me!
Old 04-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #32

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
My guess is that they did not know the law and/or told you what they thought you wanted to hear.

From The Canadian Propane Association, "In most provinces, it's law that all appliances and pilot lights must be turned off and cylinder valves closed while travelling."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Cathy, not sure if you were on the Escape forum when this was discussed. I contacted the Departments of Transport for every province and territory in Canada asking whether or not one could travel with the propane system turned on, and every last one of them told me that there was nothing illegal about it. Of course, where posted otherwise one must turn it off.

I have never actually seen a sign at a fuel station, in Canada or the US asking to turn the propane off. Maybe I am just not paying attention? I will have a better look the next time I fuel up.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #33

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
My guess is that they did not know the law and/or told you what they thought you wanted to hear.
A conspiracy amongst Canadian government bodies who write the laws, to try to trick me into getting fined maybe.

If it just one, I could see. But not every one. Plus the Canadian government too. My guess is that it is the Canadian Propane Association somehow got something mixed up somewhere.

The wording of my questions to them was "I was wondering what the regulation (law) is regarding propane on recreational vehicles, and if it was permissible or not to operate the refrigerator on propane while in transit."

Here are a few of the replies to my query. They list the name and contact info f anyone cares to double check. These were was from 3 years ago. It sure is nice to see public employees eager to answer questions from the public.

To address your question, recreational vehicles can operate on the highway with the propane valve open (fridge operating), with the exception being while on a car ferry. While on a car ferry, the propane valve must be in the closed position.
Hope this answers your question.

best regards,

Doug MacEwen
Safety Coordinator
Highway Safety Division
Department of Transportation
and Infrastructure Renewal
(p)902-368-5219
(f) 902-368-5236

Hi Jim

I contacted the Federal Dangerous Goods office and they told me that Section 1.27(d) applies to your situation

1.27 Operation of a Means of Transport or a Means of Containment Exemption

(1) These Regulations do not apply to dangerous goods on a means of transport that are required for

(a) the propulsion of the means of transport and that are

(i) intended to remain on the means of transport until used, and

(ii) contained in a fuel tank permanently installed on the means of transport;

(b) the safety of individuals on board the means of transport;

(c) the operation or safety of the means of transport including, while installed in the means of transport and used or likely to be used
for purposes related to transport, air bags, air brakes, flares,
lighting, shock absorbers or fire extinguishers; or

(d) ventilation, refrigeration or heating units that are necessary to maintain environmental conditions within a means of
containment in transport on the means of transport and are intended
to remain with the units or on the means of transport until used.

As for using the propane while traveling, we can't find anything in legislation that says that you can't have the refrigerator operating on propane while traveling. Normally you would switch the fridge over to electric / battery power before moving.

If you have any more questions, please let me know

Annette O'Neill, Investigator
Transport Compliance Branch
Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure
Saskatoon, SK
(306) 933 - 5381 Phone
(306) 933 - 5276 Fax

Your day may not be good, but there is something good in everyday that you can look for

Mr. Bennett

Thanks for your question regarding use of propane while driving RV's. It is permissible to operate a propane refrigerator in an RV while in transit.

Linda Dixon
Executive Assistant to Minister Archie Lang
Minister of Community Services
Minister of Highways and Public Works
867 667-8643 phone
867 393-7400 fax
Linda.Dixon@gov.yk.ca

2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #34

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Oh, and I did contact the Canadian Transport Department and got a reply from them too, along with a bunch of background stuff.

Hi Jim:

Your question was forwarded to the Inspector Education and Public Awareness Division of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) Directorate within Transport Canada for response.

The answer is yes, under the Federal Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) Regulations the refrigeration system may be used while the RV trailer is in transit. However, we suggest that you contact the province in which you intend to operate your vehicle to verify if they have any additional requirements. For instance, you may not be able to operate your system in a tunnel or you may be limited to two cylinders. Also, you may face other limitations when your on a ferry.

Here is some background information that you may find useful.

The Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) Regulations are comprised of 16 Parts and 3 Schedules and can be viewed by using the following link: Table of Contents - Transport Canada

Most exemptions can be found in Part 1, between sections 1.15 to 1.48 and they are called "special cases".

Section 1.27 exempts dangerous goods (in your case propane) in a means of transport (RV trailer) from the TDG Regulations if the dangerous goods are required for the ventilation, refrigeration or heating unit that are necessary to maintain environmental conditions. However, you may wish to verify provincial legislation to ensure that there is no additional requirements prohibiting such an activity.

For your information, I have inserted section 1.27. Also, you may view it by using the following link: Part 1 - Transport Canada

1.27 Operation of a Means of Transport or a Means of Containment Exemption

(1) These Regulations do not apply to dangerous goods on a means of transport that are required for

(a) the propulsion of the means of transport and that are

(i) intended to remain on the means of transport until used, and
(ii) contained in a fuel tank permanently installed on the means of transport;

(b) the safety of individuals on board the means of transport;

(c) the operation or safety of the means of transport including, while installed in the means of transport and used or likely to be used for purposes related to transport, air bags, air brakes, flares, lighting, shock absorbers or fire extinguishers; or

(d) ventilation, refrigeration or heating units that are necessary to maintain environmental conditions within a means of containment in transport on the means of transport and are intended to remain with the units or on the means of transport until used.

(2) The exemption in subsection (1) does not apply to

(a) ammunition; or
(b) dangerous goods being delivered to a destination and from which a portion is drawn off during transport for propulsion of the means of transport.

Paragraph (b) is intended to exclude from this exemption dangerous goods that are in transport on a means of transport and from which a portion is used to propel the means of transport. An example is a tank truck delivering liquefied natural gas that uses part of that load of gas to propel the vehicle.

If you have any additional questions, please contact us.

Inspector Education and Public Awareness / Formation des inspecteurs et sensibilisation du public
Compliance and Response Branch / Direction de la conformité et mise en application
Transport Dangerous Goods (TDG) / Transport des marchandises dangereuses (TMD)
Transport Canada / Transports Canada
330 Sparks Street, 9th Floor / 330, rue Sparks, 9ième étage
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N5
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #35

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
On the Newfoundland Ferry you're given a wire tag to put on your propane tank to indicate you have turned off the propane.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #36

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I think it's a bit odd that so many users worry about LP leaks while traveling, yet don't worry about sleeping in the trailer that night with the propane ON, the furnace running and a pilot burning in the refrigerator.

There is a gauge you can permanently install in the LP line to check for leaks, Winnebago used to install these in all of their Motorhomes, right in the line to the refrigerator. Costs less than $20

Any claims that some states prohibit driving on the highway with the LP ON are incorrect. In some tunnels and in certain locations, yes, but not on the open highway

BTW: I do both, whatever suits our needs for that trip segment.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #37

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
WE always turn ours off!
Old 04-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #38

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I think it's a bit odd that so many users worry about LP leaks while traveling, yet don't worry about sleeping in the trailer that night with the propane ON, the furnace running and a pilot burning in the refrigerator.

There is a gauge you can permanently install in the LP line to check for leaks, Winnebago used to install these in all of their Motorhomes, right in the line to the refrigerator. Costs less than $20

Any claims that some states prohibit driving on the highway with the LP ON are incorrect. In some tunnels and in certain locations, yes, but not on the open highway

BTW: I do both, whatever suits our needs for that trip segment.
My issue is NOT with propane leaks inside the trailer. In fact it's not even with propane leaks, although I that's why tunnels and other places want it turned off.
My only concern and it's a small one that could turn into a big one. I wear a seat belt to keep from getting bounced around the inside of my vehicle in the unlikely event of accident. I've done this long before seat belts were required. The odds are in my favor without the seat belt, but I still wear it, because it doesn't require a lot of thought and effort to do so. The same way with the propane. The biggest concern is the hose between the tank and regulator. Here again the odds are with you that nothing will happen. The odds are that I wouldn't have a large rock come through the grill of my tow, but it happened. Turning the propane off at the tank is such a small activity that it just doesn't make sense to not turn it off.
People get on airplanes after going through all kinds of security stuff when odds of something happening without are very small.
People drive way over the speed limit, the odds of getting caught or wrecking are small, but when a wreck happens it can be pretty big.
That's same way I feel about the propane, if something should happen the results could a lot larger with the propane tank on.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #39

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD
Duluth,Minnesota
Always travel with it on.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #40

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Ok, but, in about 40+ years of RV'ing, I can't say that I have ever heard of that happening.

FIW: The LP tank and lines are in a compartment on the front of our Lil' Bigfoot, but are exposed for all to see on the Hunter.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #41

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post

From The Canadian Propane Association, "In most provinces, it's law that all appliances and pilot lights must be turned off and cylinder valves closed while travelling."
I think it's hilarious - and disturbing - that anyone would take a single comment from a single non-authoritative organization over a consistent set of responses from government authorities, which are supported by specific references to regulations.

The next line on the Propane Safety page of the Canadian Propane Association webpage after that statement is
Quote:
Contact the provincial Motor Vehicle Branch where you own, rent or operate an R.V. or camper to inquire about requirements that may apply to you.
Jim did as they advised, and reported the results, yet his information was dismissed. I know which information I have assessed as credible... and whose disrespectful posts to ignore in the forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #42

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
The fridge in our EggCamper is electric (12 volt) but it's a compressor fridge. In cold weather the furnace will be on (memory foam mattress gets like concrete if it's cold). In warm weather the furnace is off.

Tags
propane