Propane On or Off while Travelling - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV


View Poll Results: Do you travel with propane ON or OFF
Always turn it OFF at the tanks. 31 60.78%
Always run with it on. That is why I have a fridge! 16 31.37%
Turn off when getting gas or when in a tunnel. 5 9.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I must have missed something. How did wanting cold milk place 800 peeps at risk ????
See post #56 - Ferries in these parts carry in many cases way more than 800 people. One cant really present an overly strong argument that the safety issues around not shutting off a propane tank has more to do with the enclosed space issue, as the rules requiring propane tanks needing to be shut off while on a vessel came to be long before the Herald of Free Enterprise went down. Prior to the sinking of the Free Enterprise it was common operating practice for many large ferry fleets around the world to leave the large fore and aft doors wide open - no enclosed space issue.

Edit to add: not to mention the that propane tanks must be turned off even when traveling on smaller totally open ferries - again the inclosed space issue wouldnt come into play on those types of ferries either.
__________________

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #72
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,063
Good discussion. I have never been on the BC ferries but have read the comments of others. No wonder they are so expensive. Sounds like they need repair/replacing often..

If we are on the road, the propane is off. Raz
__________________

__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
LOL Raz - most tax payers in BC would agree whole hearted with that!

Up until 06 when they managed to run one aground and have it sink and costed two people their lives - the one in this You Tube video from June of 06 was probably one of their more costly accidents (cause of it was the lack of a 10 cent cotterr pin). Never a good idea to run a big ferry though a private marine in the counties most affluent postal code
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
Somebody proposed converting the ferries to run on natural gas...
__________________
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #75
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,300
Propane Perspective

About 15,000,000 Americans use propane in their homes. Average yearly deaths are 25 from propane fires.

For perspective 100 people are killed by lightening each year.

Propane is relatively safe.

There are almost 300,000 vehicle fires in the USA and 480 deaths.

I still shut my propane off when driving.
__________________
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
Francesca Knowles's Avatar
 
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Posts: 4,543
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weinel, Alan View Post
B-T-W, it is running around 65/35 "turn off" always.
As I think I noted earlier, the results here are dramatically different from- in fact more than opposite to- those from similar informal surveys elsewhere.

In my opinion this result says more about this small segment of usertypes than it does about the RVing public in general...

Exactly what it says, though, I leave to others to posit.

Francesca
__________________
.................................
Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #77
Senior Member
 
Cathi's Avatar
 
Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Posts: 795
I was looking at some of the RV propane fires. You can even find one on youtube of course. One man said that they almost lost their RV due to a propane fire. He had been told by the dealer when buying years before that there was no problem having propane on while traveling. Plates came out of a cabinet and struck the stove knobs. What got me was that when someone screamed "Fire!" he had to run to the propane tanks and turn them off. That's the last place I would want to be. He now shuts off the propane. Melted their counter but he felt lucky.
__________________
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #78
Senior Member
 
Brian B-P's Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Posts: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Actually Brian I disagree. One of the risks on a ferry in regards to an open tank can be applied to road travel safety. As I mention IMO the event with the highest probability of happening on a ferry is a fire that could erupt due to an impact to a tank in the event of a hard landing or collision as the cars and trailers get shuffled/tossed around on the deck...
I don't think we really disagree: this one risk is shared by ferry and road travel, and is the reason that I said the ferry situation has "very little applicability to road travel", rather than "none".

By the way, would be interested to see if anyone can make a propane tank blow up by hitting it. The real (albeit small) risk in a collision is that a hose under pressure is torn, excess flow device is inadequate to control the flow, and an ignition source is present to start a fire; closing the tank valve effectively addresses this risk.
__________________
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
STATUS: No longer active in forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
About 15,000,000 Americans use propane in their homes. Average yearly deaths are 25 from propane fires.

For perspective 100 people are killed by lightening each year.

Propane is relatively safe.

.
Agree, providing you dont live in Kansas were there is always that chance that your house decides to take a little trip down the road or to the next town
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #80
Senior Member
 
Brian B-P's Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Posts: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
Plates came out of a cabinet and struck the stove knobs.
This looks like an argument to make it illegal to carry cargo in unsecured cabinets (that is, cabinets without positive latches), and illegal to sell appliances which can be turned on by a simple push of a small falling object. After all, we're all about safety, right?
Bizarrely, motorhomes (which are occupied by people while in travel, unlike a trailer) routinely have cabinet doors with no positive latch.
__________________
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
STATUS: No longer active in forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
Brian B-P's Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Posts: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weinel, Alan View Post
I am SO SORRY - I really didn't want to fire up a big stink. I was looking more for personal preferences not a discussion...
I don't think a discussion forum is a suitable place to conduct a poll with discussion forbidden. If that was the intent, a better-designed set of answers would be required, since - as we see from the unwanted discussion - many people cannot honestly answer with any of the choices. Don't feel bad - polling is not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weinel, Alan View Post
... not a discussion of why **I** am right and **YOU** are wrong.
Personally, I did not post anything saying that I am right or that anyone is wrong; I just explained why I believe what I do. I hope that is helpful, or at least entertaining, for other members.

Certainly, if some people believe that it is important that they propane always be shut off at the tank while in motion, and they actually do so, I applaud their diligence.
__________________
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
STATUS: No longer active in forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #82
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
Well, I have to go out and fire up the BBQ.
__________________
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #83
Senior Member
 
Brian B-P's Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Posts: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Somebody proposed converting the ferries to run on natural gas...
Yes, because natural gas is cheap compared to diesel (and probably compared to fuel oil), and because B.C. produces natural gas and not oil. There are probably also emissions and environmental risk arguments driving the proposal. Natural gas might be a safer alternative to diesel or fuel oil, since when leaked it dissipates rapidly in air, unlike either propane (which pools) or diesel/fuel oil (which forms this really annoying flammable layer on water ) Fuel capacity might be an issue; storage tank cost certainly would be a consideration.

I assume the comment was an ironic observation about restricting propane while proposing much greater use of natural gas on the same vessel, but the propane on vehicles carried and gas as the ship's fuel are quite different situations. This is not a wild proposal: search the internet for "natural gas marine fuel" - it's a serious option.

If natural gas were more widely available as a road vehicle fuel (as it might be in the future), it would be logical to run motorhomes and travel trailer tugs on it, and switch the RV coach fuel from propane to natural gas. I suppose that if this happens it will trigger another round of discussion regarding safe practices.
__________________
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
STATUS: No longer active in forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #84
Senior Member
 
Brian B-P's Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Posts: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Does anyone have any good reliable facts regarding how many fires have been started due to leaving the propane on in an RV while travelling? I myself have never heard of it causing an issue. I tried to look it up, but could find nothing. Lots on RV fires, but not specific to this issue. Some were due to the refrigerator flame, but the few I did find were when the unit was parked.
What - make decisions based on real information? Radical!
__________________

__________________
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
STATUS: No longer active in forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
propane


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Women travelling alone Camilla General Chat 83 02-04-2013 11:14 AM
Soon-to-be travelling in an Escape 5.0 jcr Hi, I am.... 7 01-19-2012 02:09 PM
Medical coverage while travelling... Wayne Hill Money Matters 3 01-10-2011 11:27 AM
Travelling Europe Lex M Camping, Campout Reports 9 07-12-2007 07:25 PM
Travelling Europe Lex M General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.