Propane - one tank or two? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Propane - one tank or two?

(Moderator's note: This thread created from posts split out of ParkLiner Tire Rub Issues thread.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteehike View Post
I did order 2 propane tanks and the battery is on the tongue. I'll ask Cameron what the new weight will be.

Jane

Jane is there a reason you are needing 2 propane tanks? A full 20lb tank will add another 38lbs of weight to your tongue weight. If they have moved the battery out of the trailer (which it sounds like they really should do to solve their venting issues) then thats another 50 + pounds on the tongue if its a group 27. I have done a number of trips of a month or more while camping 50% on and off the grid. Use the stove in the trailer daily and when off the grid run the fridge only on propane, also use the water heater and furnace on propane and have not had to refill the 1 tank I have. Always wonder when I see 2 tanks on a small trailer where all the propane is going
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
J... Always wonder when I see 2 tanks on a small trailer where all the propane is going
Propane devices we use:
- stove / oven
- hot water heater
- furnace
- refrigerator
- gas BBQ
- fire bowl

On a recent three week trip we used three 20 lb tanks of propane. Two tanks are essential for us.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We average a tank of propane every two months and have only one propane tank. We do not have a fire pit and the hot water heater, the heating system and the fridge run on either propane or electric. We carry a 1 lb bottle and an adapter as a back up and have never used it. Admittedly we look for a light tongue.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Jane is there a reason you are needing 2 propane tanks?
Always wonder when I see 2 tanks on a small trailer where all the propane is going
Around here, a 20-pound tank fill costs the same whether the tank is empty or still half full. When I see one tank, I wonder what the owners do when it's time to leave on a trip and there's not much left in the tank: pay for a whole fill? wait until it runs out then rush to a propane station?...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Propane devices we use:
- stove / oven
- hot water heater
- furnace
- refrigerator
- gas BBQ
- fire bowl

On a recent three week trip we used three 20 lb tanks of propane. Two tanks are essential for us.
I also use all of the above and as mention can go a number of weeks with only one tank if I am only using the trailers built in appliances and I dont bring along the fire bowl.

Fire Bowls are BIG propane hogs.... have one myself so I am aware that it can go through 5lbs of propane in one evening pretty easily, on a good night a lot more . I actually carry an extra 10lb portable tank for those times I bring along the fire pit and it has been known to go for a refill daily!

I guess essential is different for everyone.... if someone is worried about to much tongue weight than it doesnt seem to me that it would be to great a hardship to get a tank filled every week or every few weeks if only running the trailers built in appliances.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #6

Quote:
.... if someone is worried about to much tongue weight than it doesnt seem to me that it would be to great a hardship to get a tank filled every week or every few weeks if only running the trailers built in appliances.
I don't mind the idea of getting the tank filled every week; it's the running out in the middle of a cold night or with a half-cooked meal... and then having to find a filling station.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't mind the idea of getting the tank filled every week; it's the running out in the middle of a cold night or with a half-cooked meal... and then having to find a filling station.
Costco sells a propane gauge that is very arguably not all that accurate but close enough that its keeps me out of trouble. In six years and several hundred days of camping with only one 20lb tank attached to the trailer and using all the built in appliances on the trailer on propane many many times I have some how managed to avoid running out of propane at a bad time. Surprises me actually as to how efficient the fridge, hot water tank & stove are on propane.

I guess essential means different things to different people.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My buddy, Keath, picked up a couple of those gauges and gave one to me. After using the gauge for a couple months, we have come to believe that it reduces the gas pressure to our BBQs. We are no longer using them for our BBQ tanks.
I suppose one could hook it up to get a reading and then take it off.
Now, I just use a luggage scale.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Costco sells a propane gauge that is very arguably not all that accurate but close enough that its keeps me out of trouble...
Carol, you're probably more diligent in watching the gauge than I am.

It doesn't matter where you get it, those pressure gauges are work the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I suppose one could hook it up to get a reading and then take it off.
Now, I just use a luggage scale.
The pressure gauge only indicates anything when the tank is in use (or has just been in use) causing chilling of the contents.
The scale is fundamentally more effective.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #10

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Couple of ideas for determining propane tank levels:

Grill gauge - no hookup required

Hot water trick

Rosemary
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
It is ironic, I have never run out nor have had to refill any of my propane tanks over the past 5 years!!
.....HHmm, come to think of it, no tires, bearings nor brakes either, on my trailers or tow vehicles, am I doing something wrong??

Oh, wait, now I know why, I sell the darn thing before it ever needs anything !!
Old 09-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #12

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It is ironic, I have never run out nor have had to refill any of my propane tanks over the past 5 years!!
.....HHmm, come to think of it, no tires, bearings nor brakes either, on my trailers or tow vehicles, am I doing something wrong??

Oh, wait, now I know why, I sell the darn thing before it ever needs anything !!
Lol!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #13

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Not that LP has much to do with PL (oh wait, maybe..... ), but Sam's Club offers an LP tank with built in float gauge (the more accurate kind of gauge) for $36. I'm leaning toward getting one. On my last trip of 3 weeks to Yosemite, my 20 lb tank (filled before departure) ran dry on the way home. Cool mornings at high elevation had me running the furnace for a bit each morning, and the water heater was on also. That's the most propane I've ever used in such a short time, and it surprised me.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #14

Name: Jane
Trailer: Parkliner
Maryland
Hi Carol, I do think 2 tanks would be nice to have. They wouldn't be needed on all trips. In our popup we carried a spare under one of the seats, that might work here.
jayteehike is offline   Reply With Quote