Propane tank expiration - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Propane tank expiration

Deja vu all over again. A couple years ago the powers that be reduced the propane tank expiration date from 12 years to 10 years and then reversed themselves. Yesterday I was getting my tank filled when the attendant filling it told me it had been reduced to 10 years again. Can anyone confirm this?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:57 PM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
10 Years on new, re-inspection 5
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I think Canadian expiration has been at 10 years for some time? When I have a tank close to expiration I tank it to my local propane dealer. I go in the office and pay for a tank of propane. Then I carry my old tank across the lot and put it with the empties as directed. On the dock, especially on Friday morning are about 25 full tanks. You can take your pick. I look them over and find one with several years till the expiration. That’s the one I take. Then I can get it filled anywhere without a hassle for a few years. The propane dock supervisor makes sure I’m happy with my choice. Last year one time there were no tanks on the dock about quitting time one afternoon. The dock guy went inside and brought me out a brand new (April 2018) manufacture tank and said
“That ought to hold you for a while”
That’s why I buy local regardless of the some times slightly higher cost. This includes lumber, propane, meat, sweet corn, honey, popcorn, hardware, you name it.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I think Canadian expiration has been at 10 years for some time? When I have a tank close to expiration I tank it to my local propane dealer. I go in the office and pay for a tank of propane. Then I carry my old tank across the lot and put it with the empties as directed. On the dock, especially on Friday morning are about 25 full tanks. You can take your pick. I look them over and find one with several years till the expiration. That’s the one I take. Then I can get it filled anywhere without a hassle for a few years. The propane dock supervisor makes sure I’m happy with my choice. Last year one time there were no tanks on the dock about quitting time one afternoon. The dock guy went inside and brought me out a brand new (April 2018) manufacture tank and said
“That ought to hold you for a while”
That’s why I buy local regardless of the some times slightly higher cost. This includes lumber, propane, meat, sweet corn, honey, popcorn, hardware, you name it.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Bourbon? Tank you... I've been saying "Buy local" for years. I also bought a re-certified tank, full of propane, at my local farm fuel/oil dealer, for my daughters new BBQ. One less to dispose of!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:25 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Hi Alf
Around 25 miles down to Cedar Ridge Distillery with award winning spirits, why go anywhere else?. I cannot understand buying something like a generator on Amazon and then needing a small part or 5 minute face to face conversation with a service person and being concerned about local parts and service. I make friends with counter people, salesmen and service people. They take care of me all the time. I just bought four genuine dexter seals for the 21. Locally. They cost me $1.24 each plus 7% local tax. Then the guy says “hey if you’re still in town at 11:00, stop back in for a brat or burger, it’s a customer appreciation day, get yourself a pop out of the machine on your way out the door, it’s on free vend today.” Amazon never bought me a pop.
Bought a couple tubes of dexter branded wheel bearing grease too. Buy local,
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
DOT dropped it to 10 years a couple years ago, but suspended implementation due to complaints by the propane industry. The DOT sent a notice allowing refillers to either use the 10 year or 12 year rule, so I guess it's up to whichever place you take it to.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:39 AM   #7

Name: Keith
Trailer: 1976 Prowler
British Columbia
In Canada we have a few companies that do tank trading as well. Take your old tank in and costs a few extra bucks and get a certified tank full of propane. I am sure the US does as well. Great program and do not have to worry about re-certifying tanks every 10 years.

I am also a big believer of buying local. Granted some things we cannot get local, but we always try.
Caribooredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:06 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I think Canadian expiration has been at 10 years for some time?
For as long as I can remember it has been 10 years. For many tanks with not a lot of use I think it could easily be longer, but I have seen some tanks used for business, mostly construction, that are quite battered in short order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribooredneck View Post
In Canada we have a few companies that do tank trading as well. Take your old tank in and costs a few extra bucks and get a certified tank full of propane. I am sure the US does as well. Great program and do not have to worry about re-certifying tanks every 10 years.

I am also a big believer of buying local. Granted some things we cannot get local, but we always try.
The issue with these "swap a tank" places is that in my experience, and I have had to use them many times especially in some places in the US, is that they are never full to capacity, they are way more expensive, and usually look pretty bad.

I really cringed when needing propane in a smaller Arizona town at night (I had foolishly let both tanks run out) that I had to turn in my near new tanks for a couple that looked rough, but the date code was okay.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:53 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

The issue with these "swap a tank" places is that in my experience, and I have had to use them many times especially in some places in the US, is that they are never full to capacity, they are way more expensive, and usually look pretty bad.

I really cringed when needing propane in a smaller Arizona town at night (I had foolishly let both tanks run out) that I had to turn in my near new tanks for a couple that looked rough, but the date code was okay.
I wanted to avoid exactly what you had to deal with, so I went with the larger 20 lb tanks and figured I'd re-fill them. Then the O ring in one of the valves failed. That meant new tanks or new valves had to be installed. So, I opted for new 30 lb tanks. At least the new ones were stamped within a few months of when I purchased them, so they'll be good for nearly 10 years (if the O rings last).

The only advantage I see with the swappable tanks is that we avoid the date problem and the O ring problem. But getting rough looking tanks that are not really full is a problem too.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:54 AM   #10

Name: Keith
Trailer: 1976 Prowler
British Columbia
I have heard of people having issues before. We are not that bad for the exchange. 20.00 for a fill, 30 for a exchange. Usually what I do is exchange and fill till the expiry and exchange. Cheaper for us. Our tanks generally come all painted up and look new. We can do it now, in our town, for all sizes. Heck I even saw forklift tanks there too.
Caribooredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane