Propane tank scale - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
http://www.kitchencollection.com/Temp_Prod...fm?sku=01021762

This looks like a good item. Any negative comments?

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I just use a digital bathroom scale.

Name:   21L4rfx85tL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  7.3 KB
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
The one you are looking at would require removal of the scale to weigh.

I have used a guage before, it comes with an acme nut and I was quite pleased with it (I have been meaning to get another.. I have two tanks now tho.. double the price LOL!)

Semi accurate and perfectly usable guage for predicting the crisis before it happens in the middle of nowhere
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Gina and all others:

Gina's gauge is less than $13USD at BJ's Wholesale club. ALSO: BJ's has a tank with the gauge built in for less than $28USD.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I've been thinking about getting one of the gauges Gina mentioned, too. They don't give you lots of warning that the tank is about to run dry, but since a single tank tends to last me an entire season and I have a two-tank trailer I'll use it as an "early warning system" that tells me it's time to switch tanks and get the empty refilled. Since I'm OK with swapping the guage from one side to the next manually when I do this I probably only need one gauge.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
The one you are looking at would require removal of the scale to weigh.

I have used a guage before, it comes with an acme nut and I was quite pleased with it (I have been meaning to get another.. I have two tanks now tho.. double the price LOL!)

Semi accurate and perfectly usable guage for predicting the crisis before it happens in the middle of nowhere
Is that a gage inline? I mean do you leave that gage on while you are drawing off the tanks? whiel the tanks are off? Or do you discconnect the hose, connect the gage, take a reading, diconnect the gage, and then reconnect the hose? I cant tell from the picture
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
It's inline and stays put. The acme nut goes on the tank. Makes disconnect really easy.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The drawback is that it doesn't measure the LP level in the tank, it measures the gas pressure in the tank. In my experience with one like this, gas pressure stays relatively constant as the tank empties and really only drops significantly when it is about to run out.

I rely on a SteakSaver connector and a spare cannister of LP to back up my single tank.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Now that I know my tank will go about 30 days, I just keep a log of the days on propane.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:04 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
http://www.kitchencollection.com/Temp_Prod...fm?sku=01021762

This looks like a good item. [b]Any negative comments?

Nancy
I find that this is a simple direct way to determining how much propane is in the tank. I can lift the tank without worries.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #11

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
I'm guilty of believing the advertising hype & purchased both styles several years ago.

The one like Gina uses is left at home. It's fine for a gas BBQ to remind you to get the spare tank from the garage ahead of time, so you can change tanks before the food gets cold on the grill when the tank does go dry. As Pete observed, it only gives you a warning just before running out, but does allow you to consume all the gas in the tank as long as there is a spare tank.

The weight scale similar to Frederic's is in our trailer tool box and is used at the beginning of the season to determine how much gas is left in the used tank from last year. It will tell precisely how much gas is inside. During the camping season, when the tank I've been using runs out and been switched to the full one, then the empty one gets filled or exchanged. No measuring device needed. One 5 gal. (20lb.) tank will generally last months unless you are BBQing 3 (or more) meals a day, running a propane fueled generator, keeping the coffee pot hot on the stove while the gas furnace is running most of the time, the refrigerator is on gas and six people are dependent on the propane. Even then, I suspect you would probably not run out in less than several weeks.

If your TT is only equipped with a single tank, the weight scale would allow you to make an informed decision before going camping. I dislike wasting propane so I have my own tanks topped off, versus exchanging a tank which still contains some gas because it might run out.
Most equipment rental yards will fill tanks.

In our home, with a large cooking range (5 pilots), 3 direct vent furnaces with standing pilots, and 2 tankless hot water heaters (one with a standing pilot and the other with automatic electronic ignition), the most propane consumed during below freezing temperatures has been 3.3 gallons in 24 hours. When our 300 gallon tank is filled at home, we have our 5 gallon tanks topped off also.

We hope this info helps you make an informed decision.

Wave or say hi if you see us on the road or in a camp ground...
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane