Propane Tanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Propane Tanks

Found this propane tank inspiration while looking a glamping pix. Someone saw it and posted it as a idea that could be done to a trailer propane tank (the picture is of a home propane tank I think) Anyway, thought of all those who have propane tanks exposed.
Attached Thumbnails
propane tank idea.jpg  
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
That's cute... wheels turning here.... hummmm

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #3

Yup, Donna you just have to think of the propane bottle standing up rather than laying on it's side. Lot's of cute ideas to dress the propane tank.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
We have several painted like corn cobs around here.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There's couple of round propane tanks painted yellow with a smiley face near me and I saw one someplace in the southwest. Have no idea of where. After 6500 miles it's a blur.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
There's a large propane tank in Kokomo, Indiana painted to look like a pig.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Propane tanks are white for a reason, if not in use then that is another story, but anything other than white or silver can cause a dangerous build up in pressure due to internal temperature increase caused by dark paint.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Propane tanks are white for a reason, if not in use then that is another story, but anything other than white or silver can cause a dangerous build up in pressure due to internal temperature increase caused by dark paint.
If you've ever seen a propane tank activate the pressure relief valve you'll want to be pretty cautious. I watched two tanks do that and was really glad they close to any open flames like a BBQ.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
party pooper....there is no problem that can't be solve with the judicious use of high explosives.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
The new ones don't allow you to fill them all the way, which should reduce the possibility of over pressuring. Although we once had a neighbor who through a couple of the smaller empty one's (the kind used for propane torches) into a brush pile... then lit it off! The ground shook for at least a one block radius, The neighbor and his two grown boys were showered with burning branches and debris, but were miraculously left unharmed.

Some years ago, the refinery insisted on rotational assignments to the Fire Brigade.... Lightning struck one of the propane spheres(picture a ball the size of a five story building) which set off the relief valve and started it on fire under pressure! Every one looked out into the pouring rain at the "torch" atop the sphere, and insisted that it must be some one else's turn to respond.

The Relief Valve automatically reset and the very next week the company asked for volunteers and formed a Fire Brigade!

I think that melon is both safe and cute, although you seldom see them placed so close to the house.
It is still illadvised to dispose of propane cylinders in a fire!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #11

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Well I'm not sure of the color for a reason rule, even the propane delivery trucks are painted like corn cobs.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #12

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Now I'm afraid to paint the propane tank, but I have a battery box and a water container next to the propane and they look like fair game to me! Time to start thinking!!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Henry View Post
Now I'm afraid to paint the propane tank, but I have a battery box and a water container next to the propane and they look like fair game to me! Time to start thinking!!

I am not sure either, but I know I have seen them painted. I guess it would be a good question to ask a Propane dealer!

Do post pic's of your Battery box and water container when you get it painted!

Tags
propane