Propane versus Electric - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #41

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It sounds like the fabled perpetual motion machine to me...
I was thinking of getting a bunch of those solar powered lights and pointing them at my solar panel. The sun would charge everything during the day, and then when the sun went down, the solar lights would kick in and keep my solar panel running through the night! Good plan, huh?
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #42

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
This thread is starting to sound to me like the proverbial "free lunch" (no such thing)!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #43

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Sorry sir. I dont believe in microwaves in Scamps.
I don't believe in the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy but I can assure you that many Scamps have microwaves in them, both the cooking appliance as well as those transmitted by towers. I have seen them with my own two eyes, at least the cooking appliances.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #44

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
How you guys are SO disappointing me! Think outside the BOX gentlemen!! Outside the box!

CPW, ...hit too close so I must digress a bit without giving up my development.

I have an electric (battery-operated) toothbrush by Phillips (SoniCare). NO terminals ANYWHERE on the device for charging. Through the plastic!! Here's a link of my charger for proof: https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Charg...nicare+charger

I've been studying electronics. Do you realize how much "frequency" waves- be them sinusoidal or square (digital)- electrical circuits give off? As CPW so subtly stated...everywhere my friends! Dont believe that? Grab an AM/FM radio and turn it on right there beside you as you shake your head about this post and watch the stations you can pick up. Those frequency waves are bouncing off you like BB's!

Now... take that technology. Camp beside WINDMILLS. With this new ConInverting Receptadinal Encoder on this e-gen, taking and transfering those "rogue" waves into useful energy?? Oh yeah baby!!

Ok ok ...what at night when the wind's not blowing? I always (off the grid) camp beside a stream as well. Have you guys forgotten about HYROPOWER? Surely you jest! AMAZING how much electricity flowing water generates! IF the water level/power generating drops- called DeHydrating Slowicitation- then the device called "Steamatic H20 Defibrilator" takes over. ALWAYS...a campfire in a contained burning source- called a "Firepit" is available. We then use a Divertation Flapazoid to run the decreased water velocity into a highly-modified propane tank! It is in turn placed over the fire pit..and such SIMPLE technology here called "Steam" THEN continues charging the lipos perpetually - and keeps my gen running...quietly...and keeps me totally cool and/or warm!! It canNOT get any simpler and more "green" than that my fellow FG'ers!

Hang around with me to 2080, you havent seen ANYTHING yet! NO wires/no powerlines/no gens/no solar......
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #45

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
This thread is starting to sound to me like the proverbial "free lunch" (no such thing)!
If your paying for my lunch then it sounds like a free lunch to me.

The electric generator to me is a fancy solar charger ,
good for its' intended purpose , like running lights or charging electronics.
I have camped near people , who at night start up their generator , go into their trailer , close it up ,start up their A/C and go to bed They are nice and cool and sleep like a baby but the rest of us get to listen to the noise of their A/C and generator run all night.
I especially enjoy the sound of the generator picking up speed when the A/C compressor kicks in..
These are the same people who ask me to kill my campfire because the light from the fire is bothering their sleep !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #46

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
well, ours is inaudible from fifteen feet away, and I don't have to wear hearing aids yet.
i'm searching for the portable wind turbine picture my son in law sent me. it's a bout 4 feet tall and runs at the slightest breeze....
Old 04-01-2017, 01:59 PM   #47
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Timely....
Look up ambient backscatter when you have some free time.
Among the several research projects I am involved with is one that uses ambient backscatter in conjunction with a few remote biosensors.
The world we live in.......
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #48

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
well, ours is inaudible from fifteen feet away, and I don't have to wear hearing aids yet.
I both agree with you and disagree with you. My Honda EU2000i (the same generator Lil' Snoozy offers its purchasers and has an operating decibel level between 53 and 59 decibels) is also inaudible at 15 feet.........IF it is not running.
The further away from its source, the lower the sound. Sound level is reduced in accordance with the law of squares. Sound level is reduced by 6 dB for every doubling of the distance. At 15 feet, the distance could be considered 4 times the distance where decibel levels are typically measured. That would equate to a maximum reduction of 24 decibels, so at that distance the Honda would be between emitting sound at the 29 to 35 decibel levels. I can distinctly hear my EU2000i running from a distance of more than 100 feet. If you find yours inaudible at 15 feet, then perhaps you should consider a hearing test, because there is no way a running Honda EU2000i is inaudible at 15 feet unless it is outside of a sound proof room and you are inside, or if both the generator and you exist in a vacuum. It's a simple matter of the physics involved in the transmission of sound. And I guarantee other campers more than 15 feet away can also hear it running.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #49

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I both agree with you and disagree with you. My Honda EU2000i (the same generator Lil' Snoozy offers its purchasers and has an operating decibel level between 53 and 59 decibels) is also inaudible at 15 feet.........IF it is not running.
The further away from its source, the lower the sound. Sound level is reduced in accordance with the law of squares. Sound level is reduced by 6 dB for every doubling of the distance. At 15 feet, the distance could be considered 4 times the distance where decibel levels are typically measured. That would equate to a maximum reduction of 24 decibels, so at that distance the Honda would be between emitting sound at the 29 to 35 decibel levels. I can distinctly hear my EU2000i running from a distance of more than 100 feet. If you find yours inaudible at 15 feet, then perhaps you should consider a hearing test, because there is no way a running Honda EU2000i is inaudible at 15 feet unless it is outside of a sound proof room and you are inside, or if both the generator and you exist in a vacuum. It's a simple matter of the physics involved in the transmission of sound. And I guarantee other campers more than 15 feet away can also hear it running.
I have a 75% hearing loss in my left ear and a 70% hearing loss in my right ear and I can still hear a Honda generator when it is running at 15 ft or 20 ft or 25 ft . Sometimes we choose what we can or cannot hear.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:48 AM   #50

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
...Sometimes we choose what we can or cannot hear.
That's what my wife says... I have to remind her that I am, apparently, the only one in the house who can hear the dog scratching to get in or out.

I'm really surprised, Steve, that there are campgrounds permitting generator use at night as you describe, Steve. Is that common?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #51

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That's what my wife says... I have to remind her that I am, apparently, the only one in the house who can hear the dog scratching to get in or out.

I'm really surprised, Steve, that there are campgrounds permitting generator use at night as you describe, Steve. Is that common?
NO , State Parks and most county parks in Wisconsin do not allow generators at anytime but we have camped in rural Wisconsin County parks that do not have hookups or supervision and people run generators 24 hours a day. Also many Wisconsin counties ,in a search for additional revenue have opened there parks to ATV camping. Now you get the double whammy with the ATV noise being added on top of the generator noise. It is a Symphony that I don't appreciate.

Campgrounds can have all the rules they want but if no one is around to enforce them what difference does it make. Our state has cut park funding and laid off park staff and park vandalism has climbed accordingly.
I will admit that I am not a fan of using generators or ATVs while camping. The term "Quiet generators" or "Quiet ATV" is an oxymoron in my book.

Tags
propane