Pro's & Con's - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2015, 03:47 PM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Texas
Pro's & Con's

I'm going to order a new camper this summer (June if things go as planned) and I've narrowed it down a Casita or a Scamp. I've been doing a lot of reading on the forums as well as on each manufacturers' site. I've got a list of Pro's and Con's for each one. I'm wondering, after you've read what I'm thinking, what you agree or disagree with and what other things you know about that maybe I've not considered.

Casita Pro's: 1. 17' model vs. 16' model on Scamp. 2. The floor is enclosed completely inside the fiberglass lower shell so it's protected by the elements. 3. Only a 3 hour drive from my house so quick trip to pick it up. CON'S: 1. No insulation between interior cloth and fiberglass shell. 2. Furnace placement is directly next to the dinette so when it's made into a bed the covers could get kicked onto it.

Scamp Pro's: 1. Insulation between shell and cloth interior. 2. Furnace placement more centered and away from dinette/bed. 3. If I remember correctly the Scamp is lighter. Con's: 1. 18 hour drive to factory. 2. Wood floor exposed beneath the trailer. 3. 16' largest bumper pull model. 3. As insulation and cloth compress rivets get loose.

Any comments or additions to my list is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony
TCMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:55 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've traveled in a Scamp 16 and a Casita 16. Our Scamp is 24 years old. We haven't lost a single rivet. The fiberglass bottom is almost meaningless to me. Floors rot from the top not the bottom.

The real unmentioned difference is the wider bed in the Casita 17. I would suggest you attend a Texas rally where you can feel the difference. We attended one with mostly Casitas. Virtually every Casita owner thought our Scamp 16 was larger than their Casita 16 or 17.

The reason is the front window in the Scamp makes it seem longer and the aisle, at least in our lay out is wider. My suggestion is to go to a Texas rally. Definitely a real advantage is Casita is in Texas, other than that they are very similar.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I have never owned either. Both have happy owners. Casita seems to have more of a following than Scamp. Scamp offers jalousie windows. They can be left open in the rain. Both have been around for years and will most likely be here tomorrow. Either floor can rot if leaks are ignored. The exposed floor in Scamp does not appear to be an issue. Lots of old scamps around with solid original floors. Happy shopping, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I have had both and they are both good trailers.
A better comparison is between the Scamp 16 and Casita 16. The Scamp 16 has a higher ceiling than the the Casita 16 but the 17 is higher.
When you go up to the Casita 17 you are moving to a much heavier trailer but with that you do get the bigger bed, bigger fridge, big bathroom, straight as opposed to curved door etc.
Both trailers will have floor issues if you have leaks.
I didn't have any issues with the furnace and bedding in the Casita.
I found them both to be adequate in cooler temps but none would be great for really cold temps.
I don't think you can go wrong with either one as you say just a case of narrowing down what is best for you.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #5

Name: Tony
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Texas
Thanks for the replies. Honda03842, What floor layout do you have?
TCMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I forgot about the bigger bed. For some reason Scamp has an optional 54" bed in the fiberglass 13' but not in the fiberglass 16'. Both wood versions have the bigger bed. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Scamp Layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMJ View Post
Thanks for the replies. Honda03842, What floor layout do you have?
We have layout 4.

Our trailer is heavily modified.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-46387.html

When we used a Casita we had the Freedom with the side dinette with captains chairs, they took up a lot of space.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I don't recall reading very many critical comments about Casita's construction, but I do recall seeing comments about Scamp's... such as, how they seal the top vent, and there was a guy whose plumbing was installed incompletely. Not saying that Casita is perfect, but I read less negatives about them on this forum.

The Scamp will feel a little more roomy due to the wider aisle, IIRC. And jalousie windows are a big plus.

Does Scamp still locate the thermostat right over the bed, where it can get banged easily by sleepers?

The insulation difference probably will be negligible, because the thickness of the carpet probably offsets the lack of that thin layer of insulation.

Like Norm said, floors rot from the top. And if you do get water leaks around windows or from plumbing, you don't want it standing trapped against the wood... does Casita put in a drain anywhere on the bottom? I don't remember.

A Casita 17' with front bath will have a hitch weight that most likely precludes the use of any vehicle with a 350 lb hitch weight limit, where as a Scamp 16' will not. Whether this matters to you or not depends on what you might want to tow with, now and later.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #9

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Having first a Scamp then a Casita and now back to a Scamp you can't go wrong with either. It really is a matter of preference.
The Casita 17 foot deluxe models have a far superior washroom over the Scamps. The larger refrigerator is better unless you boondock then the control panel is just another power user. The fantastic fan that comes with the Casita is one model up from the Scamp - it has the automatic temperature control.
As mentioned the 17 Casita is a beast as far as tongue weight compared to a Scamp.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
You are getting good information here. Just one comment about the Scamp Cons: #2: the 3/4 wood OSB board is not painted, it is heavily coated with the FG resin which soaks in, on both sides, cured and then assembled to the rest. #3: The Reflectix insulation (which is a little like bubble wrap) and the Rat Fur are both fully compressed in the process of setting the Pop rivets.

The Rat Fur and Reflectix combination makes the walls soft. I like it when I sit on the bed to read and lean against the wall. (I do not know what is on the Casita walls.)
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:05 AM   #11

New Brunswick
Smith factor to consider - are you thinking you will get your trailer to camp this summer? You will have better luck getting a new Casita than a Scamp probably

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 04-21-2015, 08:14 AM   #12

New Brunswick
No I don't know what a Smith factor is either.. My phone does though

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 04-21-2015, 08:36 AM   #13

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
TCMJ....

In the Casita the wall carpet/insulation has a surface of 3/8" soft sheared twist carpet that is backed by 1/4 " of foam...which is in turn cemented to the walls. Pretty decent for 3-season RVing.

Frank
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #14

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Your opening sounds like you think the Casita's walls are just carpet glued onto the shell. But as Frank points out, there is foam insulation between and the overall insulation is actually quite good for three season camping. In fact with a small cube heater and shore power I was quite comfy in moderate winter camping. I only ever used the furnace for short periods before bedtime and first thing in the morning.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:23 AM   #15

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Hi, Tony,

I live in Minnesota but ended up ordering a Casita Spirit Deluxe 17' after comparing the two. My reasons were mostly about full-timing -- I wanted the larger fridge, bathroom and a few other things. I also needed it by the end of July; but in late March, the soonest I could get a new 16' Scamp was mid-August. On the other hand, I could have the Casita by mid-June. That was the deal-maker for me.

Wendy
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote