Pros and cons of side dinette or front bunk with a toddler! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #1

Name: Otis and Taura
Trailer: Scamp
Nebraska
Pros and cons of side dinette or front bunk with a toddler!

Looking for people who have experience and advice about 16' campers with a toddler!

We have had a 13' Scamp for 2 years and taken it on many trips with our little girl who is 15 months old now, and it has been the perfect size for us! We don't hang out inside much unless the weather is bad.

Long story short, we are making a lifestyle change and are going to travel full time for a "while" (plans are up in the air!) and I'd like a 16'/17' camper for us. I am weighing the pros and cons of campers with the side dinette and front bathroom, and campers with the front bunch/bunk with the smaller closet type bathroom.

I thought that the side dinette would be a good place to put our little one to sleep at night and then have it be a table during the day and she can nap in our bed, and the little area in the bathroom could be filled with an inch or two of water for her bath. OR, we could get the front bunk and put a baby gate across (I've measured, it would fit) and either get a curtain across the open area to create a little dark room area for her nap time, and we'd get a little more counter space but then no mini bath tub with the bathroom just being a closet. Our bed would have to be set up each night too without the side dinette...

So, any thoughts about this? I'd love to hear about experiences that other people with littles have, and people who have either of these camper layouts! Please, positive comments only, if want to tell me I'm crazy to do this with a toddler, I'll give you my dad's number

And here's a photo of the baby in question bc I think she's beautiful!!
Attached Thumbnails
000027280009 copy_web.jpg  
Otis and Taura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #2

Name: Andrey
Trailer: Casita
West Virginia
Registry
No experience with what you're thinking. The middle dinette/bed would be away from door. Might be important in cooler temps.
Komrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:22 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

No experience with 16'ers, but I'd lean toward the side bath. I can't imagine putting out family meals in all kinds of weather on the tiny galley in the side dinette layout. You can even have a range with oven in the side bath model, something that might be nice for long-term use.

The tiny side bath is the trade-off, as you've realized, and height-restricted due to the raised floor. Are either of you unusually tall? For bathing a toddler, a basin, maybe?

Converting the dinette is not a big deal. It just requires making your bedding easily stowable.

Regarding the previous comment, I can say from experience with our Scamp 13 front bunk model that the lower front bunk is the warmest in the house, mainly because there is no window and it's sheltered from drafts. Being able to close it off for daytime napping is a big plus in my book.

The top bunk makes nice storage space, a diaper-changing platform, and... ahem... an extra bed when that beautiful girl gets a younger brother or sister?

If you have the towing capacity, you might want to consider one of the Bigfoot 17' models. Newer ones have dual pane windows and other 4-season upgrades. Extra width makes them a lot roomier. Very well made, but quite a bit heavier than a garden variety Scamp. New ones are pricey, but you can find decent used ones at a range of price points.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:32 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I much prefer having a large window both front and back, which you get with the side bath. It also puts more room between the two living areas, the front gaucho (will Scamp substitute a front dinette instead?) and the rear dinette/bed. So two adults have a shot at doing two different things at the same time without being on top of each other. Really hated the front bath layout on the Casita we used to have.

+10 where are you planning to live? The Oliver and the Bigfoot are your four season options (not all Bigfoots are four season models!), the rest are pretty much three season. Both are very expensive trailers, more opportunities to find a used Bigfoot. Now if you plan to move to follow better weather, you could be OK with a three season trailer. Living full time in Nebraska winters, not so much.

My parents lived full time in a 12 foot camper when my dad was going to college. My sister's crib was a drawer in the trailer....

The Escape 17A (no bath) is just about the roomiest camper out there for its size. In these small trailers, bathrooms take up precious space. Its one reason we ended up with our Escape 19. Queen bed on one end, four person dinette on the other end, with a side bath.

You've already got experience with the Scamp 13 which is a big plus! Kitchen area in the side dinette/front bath Scamp 16 looks really small.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #5

Nebraska
Good point!
Old 11-12-2018, 11:20 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Your beautiful young daughter is so lucky to have you two as her parents. However you work it out, it sounds like a fun filled family life ahead for all of you. A larger trailer will make your life a lot easier.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:10 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My grandson's toys would fill a 13' trailer.
And then there is his collection of sticks, and rocks.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:20 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry

Seems to me you've answered your own concern, Glenn. Lacking toys IN the trailer, children have no trouble finding toys OUTSIDE the trailer. Might be absolutely the best thing for a kid. What a great lesson to leave behind all your "toys" at one campsite and anticipate what you'll find at the next (though it might be a painful parting at first).

Realistically... perhaps a small duffle of carefully chosen toys, games, and art supplies to supplement nature finds...

The life experience of living with less and seeing the world at close hand instead of a screen... priceless!
Old 11-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #9

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Otis and Taura,

Our 2014 Scamp13 had the larger 54" bed and the front sofa/bunks.
The only way you get the 54"bed in a Scamp16 is by ordering the Deluxe
(wood interior version). The 16Deluxe normally comes in Layout A
("front-dinette/side-bath) or Layout B (side-dinette/front-bath) but,
on request Scamp will substitute the front-sofa/bunks for the
front-dinette in a LayoutA at no additional cost.

Because we wanted the ability to sleep 2 adults and 2 grandkids, we chose
to do the LayoutA and do the front-sofa/bunks swap. Your little one could
maybe even sleep on one end of the front sofa without making the
sofa to bunk-bed swap out each night. In the event of nighttime illness
or afternoon fatigue (naps), the front sofa could also serve as alternate
sleeping space for an adult.
(Ask Wayne Pitlick at Scamp for option details.)

My sister just sold her older Scamp16 with the 44" bed and bought an
Escape17B with a larger bed and a front-dinette/side-bath.

Although the front bathroom might be nice for heavier bathroom usage
(i.e. trailer showers instead of campground showers), the larger front
bathroom does take up more of the limited interior trailer space.

If you want to stay in the 16'/17' range of trailers, those two trailers
might be worth consideration. If you have the ability and inclination to
tow it, the Escape19 might be a good/better choice for traveling "full time".

Best of luck on your decision!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #10

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Taurus and Otis!

Hey, you would be crazy not to pursue your dreams and adventure, particularly with that beautiful little girl!!! What a cutie. I think you could go either way the with side dinette/front bath or front gaucho/bunk and side bath. The price, age, and availability if you are buying used might become the most important variables. Either way, I think you will adapt and do just fine.

Our ‘05 Casita 17’ Freedom Deluxe has swivel chairs, but is basically a side dinette. We enjoy the “larger” bathroom, yet still have plenty of room for dining. I would think the side dinette would make a fine bed for a little one at night.

Either way! Just go camp and enjoy your family!!!

Take care,

Dean
Old 11-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
we camped for 2 years in our Casita 16, and I frankly can't imagine having a 3rd person along, even a baby, in that size trailer.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:11 PM   #12

Nebraska
Wow thank you everyone! I spent so much time dreaming of having a side dinette when it was just 2 of us, but thinking about having a little space up front that we could enclose her in, is starting to sound like a good idea. I’m going to check out the campers suggested. She’s a good baby still and we’ll probably just bring a few toys, books and her trike/bike and lots of space to play and explore - what else does she really need, right?

We were keeping a play pen set up on the floor from 8pm - 8am and then moving it to the bed/dinette during the day for naps (this girl gets around 14-16 hrs of sleep a day ��) and I’m pretty over that routine. The camper feels pretty spacious when we move her out play pen to the bed area! But she needs to be contained. Anyways... ❤️
Old 11-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #13

Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
we camped for 2 years in our Casita 16, and I frankly can't imagine having a 3rd person along, even a baby, in that size trailer.
It’s all about what you’re used to Otis and I have back packed all around with an ultralight 2 man backpacking tent where you can barely sit up, so any size camper feels like luxury to us!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:22 PM   #14

Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
No experience with 16'ers, but I'd lean toward the side bath. I can't imagine putting out family meals in all kinds of weather on the tiny galley in the side dinette layout. You can even have a range with oven in the side bath model, something that might be nice for long-term use.

The tiny side bath is the trade-off, as you've realized, and height-restricted due to the raised floor. Are either of you unusually tall? For bathing a toddler, a basin, maybe?

Converting the dinette is not a big deal. It just requires making your bedding easily stowable.

Regarding the previous comment, I can say from experience with our Scamp 13 front bunk model that the lower front bunk is the warmest in the house, mainly because there is no window and it's sheltered from drafts. Being able to close it off for daytime napping is a big plus in my book.

The top bunk makes nice storage space, a diaper-changing platform, and... ahem... an extra bed when that beautiful girl gets a younger brother or sister?

If you have the towing capacity, you might want to consider one of the Bigfoot 17' models. Newer ones have dual pane windows and other 4-season upgrades. Extra width makes them a lot roomier. Very well made, but quite a bit heavier than a garden variety Scamp. New ones are pricey, but you can find decent used ones at a range of price points.
Yes on most of these points, except the sibling ha ha For whatever reason, I (Taura) have a hard time putting the table up and down by myself, so it rarely happens.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #15

Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Hi Taurus and Otis!

Hey, you would be crazy not to pursue your dreams and adventure, particularly with that beautiful little girl!!! What a cutie.
Thank you!!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:39 PM   #16

Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I much prefer having a large window both front and back, which you get with the side bath. It also puts more room between the two living areas, the front gaucho (will Scamp substitute a front dinette instead?)
Yes, I like having windows on both ends!

Quote:
+10 where are you planning to live? The Oliver and the Bigfoot are your four season options (not all Bigfoots are four season models!), the rest are pretty much three season. Both are very expensive trailers, more opportunities to find a used Bigfoot. Now if you plan to move to follow better weather, you could be OK with a three season trailer. Living full time in Nebraska winters, not so much.
Uh yeah, not so into the NE winters!! We’ve had some cold nights, like when our furnace stopped working (humidity in the regulator?) when it was 8degrees in Bandolier for 2 nights. Another story!

Quote:
My parents lived full time in a 12 foot camper when my dad was going to college. My sister's crib was a drawer in the trailer....
I love the image of pulling out a drawer and there’s a little mat and blanket for baby!

Quote:
The Escape 17A (no bath) is just about the roomiest camper out there for its size. In these small trailers, bathrooms take up precious space. Its one reason we ended up with our Escape 19. Queen bed on one end, four person dinette on the other end, with a side bath.

You've already got experience with the Scamp 13 which is a big plus! Kitchen area in the side dinette/front bath Scamp 16 looks really small.
I agree about the bathrooms! I really dislike taking a baby into the showers and bathrooms though, not only does she want to pick up and touch everything, but she wants to escape! Which just makes for a stressful time!
Old 11-14-2018, 05:54 AM   #17

Arizona
Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis and Taura View Post
Yes on most of these points, except the sibling ha ha[emoji6] For whatever reason, I (Taura) have a hard time putting the table up and down by myself, so it rarely happens.
One solution is to change the dinette to a U-shaped configuration with a smaller pedestal table and a bench across the back. It's a fairly easy project.

You gain storage under the center seat (for bedding, maybe?), a daytime napping spot across the back, and a smaller table to manhandle.

Scamp will make custom cushions to fit a reconfigured dinette if you want, or just covers to save shipping.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:53 AM   #18

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I've met a couple happily live in a Trillium 1300, for over two years. No bath, no A/C, smallish bed. In talking with them, it became clear they could have afforded something much bigger. But in the end, this made them happy! Stuff doesn't make you happier, life makes you happier!

I say do it! Find a good deal on a Scamp 16, and start the adventure! Buy right, and if it ends up not working, you probably will be able to resell the Scamp for very close to what you paid for it. (Prepare for the worst, plan for the best). And meanwhile, you are making life long memories. Be sure to get a nice awning, that will give you covered outside space to spread out.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
We have a 16 SD front bath. I find the bath to be OK in size. Can not amagine a bath any smaller such as the side bath. Myself I sleep on the side bunk. Plenty of room. It takes almost no time to take down and set up. Your. Wife and baby can sleep in the larger bed. Baby can sleep on the bottom. Or On the inside wall side. Good luck. Carl
Carlcivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #20

Name: Michelle
Trailer: 81 bigfoot 17ft
BC
Your plan sounds awesome.

A couple things I wanted to throw out there. We bought a 17ft bigfoot few months after our daughter was born. It had been modified and had a toilet a sink a full time bed and a couch/bed. She was in the pop up crib on the lower of the two beds for years. We were mostly outside and always cooked outside. It was good to know she was safe and comfy and couldn’t just climb out. Oh and for her baths we would use an old Coleman cooler lid removed. The water stays warm and we dump it
Outside so we don’t fill the grey tank. We would travel this way for 4-6 weeks at a time.

Then came her brother and we upgraded to a 21 ft with bells and whistles including a bathtub. I shared the full time bed w the little guy and my spouse on the dinette w our daughter. In 7 weeks we only wanted the dinette up once and only used the bathtub once. (We still brought the cooler along as a bathtub which doubles as a toy box). We found we didn’t need all that trailer and now we are in a 19 ft. (Kids are 2&5 now) Wet bath. Front dinette with side gaucho. We leave the beds up all the time and cook and eat outside. We use our outdoor shower and the cooler turned bathtub. Our trailer has 2 smaller temporary tables that pop into the floor and that is good for us for counter and eating space.

My main point is not to focus on the tub. There’s other baby/kid bathing options. Old cooler. Big galvanized tub. Hoppop insulated baby bath. Get the trailer that works the best for you for daily living, comfort and safety

Bon voyage!
Michelle Nanaimo is offline   Reply With Quote