Pull OVER!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Well yet again I've been flagged down and asked if I was willing to sell my RV. Got any good stories about your experiences with this.

Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We got chased into a shopping center lot one time with our 13' Burro. The 16' UHaul draws attention but not as much. It is not as cute as the Burro. However, I cannot tell you how many times we have been told, "I didn't know that UHaul rented trailers." Of course, we don't help it. We found a neon Uhaul dealer sign on ebay that fits in the front window perfectly, so people think we are advertising our UHaul.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
dealer_sign.jpg  
Old 03-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: CindyL...With that sign on you're just asking for it!!! LoL We had a guy chase us across a fast food pk'g lot and start stroking the fiberglass like you'd rub a dogs chin...Hmmmmm!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Two times that come to mind.

Once on a freeway we were followed right off the off ramp and into a small airport... "Have to see that trailer", they said.

The other time we were in a large open parking lot in the back of a restaurant.. A car with two women were circling us as we sat in the trailer eating...

And our favorite was just driving on the freeway and a woman in her car came next to us and gave us the thumbs up... with a huge smile.. Still wonder if she was a Casita owner.

Such fun!
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Quote:
We got chased into a shopping center lot one time with our 13' Burro. The 16' UHaul draws attention but not as much. It is not as cute as the Burro. However, I cannot tell you how many times we have been told, "I didn't know that UHaul rented trailers." Of course, we don't help it. We found a neon Uhaul dealer sign on ebay that fits in the front window perfectly, so people think we are advertising our UHaul.

CindyL
Same here. We received plenty of attention with our Bigfoot 17.5CB but none so far with our 21RB. The logic sort of escapes me.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
I have to say that I did it to another Trillium owner just after I got mine in a Burger King parking lot. I was more interested in how they butchered it with 40 lbs of white silicone on the olive green shell and the screwed on vent guards.

I also have people stopping in my yard asking to see it and amazed that I got it into our garage. They swear that it was built around the Trillium.

It's funny how I ahve never seen one before I saw my wife's uncles Trill and now I see them everywheres (and bolers too)
Mike and Sarah K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
The first summer that we had our Boler, I was awakened very early one morning (still dark outside) by insane pounding on our front door. Sure that it was a major emergency, I ran to the door in my PJs and threw open the door. There was a man standing there that asked "how much?" I asked what he was talking about and he said "the trailer -- how much for it?"
It's not for sale I told him. He shoved a piece of paper into my hand with his phone number and told me he was off to work. Call if I changed my mind.

We live on a major urban street. That day I made up a sign for the window that said
NO -- I'M NOT FOR SALE!

We park it out of town in the winter. Every spring people stop to try and buy it.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Did get approached in a parking lot in Hemet, CA by two guys who were wondering about Homelet...and by a guy in a gas station in Covington, WA...

Carol Ann I can't recommend opening your door for mad pounding in the wee hours...

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I can understand asking someone if the parked trailer that looks unused is for sale. But when you are OBVIOUSLY traveling with it, why on earth would they think you want to sell it? It baffles me.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 77 Scamp
my first time was rather unusual. returning with 3 kids camping and a guy flags me down. Asks if it's for sale, said the standard no thank you to which he pulls out a wad of cash 4 inches thick and says "are you sure". I asked how much was there, he said 20,000..I said I'll pull over right now..how much are you offering, he said 1,500...I told him try again.....then we parted ways

Second tme was rather sweet. A carload of boys is waving and hooting so I'm feeling rather special....then I realize their pointing at the trailer. One signals for me to roll down my window and asks...."Jew selling dis trail-orrr"....I shook my head no and off they sped...
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
The first time we ever camped in the Scamp, before we did any renos, a man asked if we would be interested in selling it. Since then, we've been approached when we stopped at a fast food place, others have asked at campgrounds & we've even had people pull up in front of the house to ask if we would sell it. FGRVs are almost nonexistent in our area, so they attract a lot of attention! We even had a park ranger ask to see it and & he commented that he had expected there to be nothing but a bed inside! We gave him a tour of the living room, kitchen, dining/bedroom, closet and "bathroom" (underseat porta pottie.) He was amazed!

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Returning home from a trip I noticed a car making every turn through town that I did and then onto my street which is a cul de sac. Sure enough by the time I went down my driveway and was backing up here came a lady walking down.

I can't camp or stop anywhere without someone waving "thumbs up" or coming over to speak with me. Not necessarily wanting to purchase mine but very interested in a purchase of some sort. I think once they start speaking with me they quickly realize, without me stating it, "my baby is not for sale".

I don't believe I have ever had my trailer out without someone coming over to speak to me.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1984
We were just checking in at a campground office when someone ran across the parking lot to ask if they could take a tour. I said "Yes, I would be glad to show it off, if they could wait until I got a campsite and unhitched". They actually led me to the designated site, helped me to park, offered suggestions about setting up and stood waiting until I got the door unlocked and the table set up. We had just come 400 miles and were dead on our feet and i could hardly wait to put my feet up and knock back a cold one but "We Gave The Tour". and then... "Hey Bill, come and see this"!
Across the park was another small Boler and the couple wouldn't speak to anyone. Wonder why?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
The same thing happened to us when we went to our first Scamp get-together . The Scamp owners were all over our Uhaul . We couldn't get set up; they all wanted to see our trailer. Great folks!

CindyL
Old 03-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Cindy,

That's what happened our first few rallies in Texas, except we had the Scamp 5th wheel among many Casitas. Great way to meet folks.

Nita

Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #16

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
If I were being bothered at my house, I'd just put a sign on it "For Sale-$14,995- Firm" It will either solve it or you'll be very happily looking for your next egg.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
The first summer that we had our Boler, I was awakened very early one morning (still dark outside) by insane pounding on our front door. Sure that it was a major emergency, I ran to the door in my PJs and threw open the door. There was a man standing there that asked "how much?" I asked what he was talking about and he said "the trailer -- how much for it?"
It's not for sale I told him. He shoved a piece of paper into my hand with his phone number and told me he was off to work. Call if I changed my mind.

We live on a major urban street. That day I made up a sign for the window that said
NO -- I'M NOT FOR SALE!

We park it out of town in the winter. Every spring people stop to try and buy it.
Carol, find out the cost of two of them, and there's your selling price....pocket half and buy a new one.......
Emmitt G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I have my employer's 16' Casita parked in my yard and my own 13'. I have had three people stop by and ask about buying them. At least three times while traveling I have had people stop and ask to see the one I was pulling.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Casita
In all the stalking/chasing down/waving/thumbs up/lookie lou, encounters I can't remember one asking if it was for sale. They just wanted to see it! I agree that when your using it, it's a little odd that someone would think your gonna sell it to them right then and there. Not that when I was in searching mode for my trailer I wouldn't have asked someone if they wanted to sell. But I would have probably just said, if you are ever thinking of selling, give me a call. (I did, they never called ). We have had so many lookie lou encounters though that I truly wonder how the little retro "glass" trailers even get anywhere, cause our 17 draws attention more times than not. That may be cause of where we camp/travel destinations may be the land of the Big rv's, large toy haulers, large stickies but can't imagine having one of those retro cuties. Only one time was I not prepard to give a tour. Of course my Mom's words growing up rang in my head, Make your bed the minute you get up.......................LOL, oh well the tourist in Yellowstone saw my bed a mess. and dirty clothes and shoes all over. I warned them!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #20

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
hahahahaha - I **LOVE** it. Either way you win.

Did Earl tell you his story? After getting home from Backus with the future Peanut, he went back to W*rk and came home one day to find a note on his front door asking if it was for sale. BRAND SPANKING NEW. I like your approach. That reminds me of a commercial on TV a while back. It was a fast food trade show. They all had booths and there was a kid in one booth - just him and his lawn chair. And a sign that said Fast Food Consultant. $25,000 He said - it only takes one.

Quote:
If I were being bothered at my house, I'd just put a sign on it "For Sale-$14,995- Firm" It will either solve it or you'll be very happily looking for your next egg.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote