Pulling Over when Going Slowly - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Nice to see so many consider road courtesy important.... unlike tailgaters.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #22
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I try to be a courteous driver, cut the other fellow a break, and be aware of the traffic around me. I am seldom in a hurry. Sometimes I like to just poke along and enjoy the ride. In that case I am more than happy to get out of the way. Even going the speed limit, if there is a passing lane I will pull over and slow, to let folks pass. Here's what I don't understand. If I am doing the posted speed limit, why is there a need to pass ? Do California and Colorado suspend the speed limit laws because there are five or more people behind me? Perhaps if we all weren't in such a hurry, more of us might make it to the next sunrise. Just a thought. I will try not to get in the way. Promise Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #23

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We try to drive in ways that provide the least aggravation to other road users. We are generally going less than highway speed and will ease to the right when safe - occasionally we have signaled and gently applied the brakes and pull further off the road.

My pet peeve is an entire caravan of huge trailers travelling SLOWLY together. We can't see past to overtake, they apparently NEVER look in their rearview mirrors and pull over a bit. If we manage to safely overtake one there are maybe ten more ahead and now we're caught between two big rigs!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Most of our highway system on the island is 2-lane blacktop and a lot of our secondary roads are in very bad shape. The TCH has many third lanes and I know the road so if a thrid lane is close I will hold my ground. If not, I will pull over when it is safe to do so but quite often there is not a lot of room. If I have to pull over and stop I will usually wait for the downhill or a long straight stretch where I can see to pull out safely and not impede more traffic. However, on my last 4 hour TCH drive from Gander to Pasadena I only saw about 100 vehicles, east and west bound combined.
I guess the best thing to do is make the move when necessary and when it is safe for all concerned.
Westbound on the mainland we do not pick up the divided highway until New Glasgow, NS. A "Do not drive on paved shoulder" sign is a common sight on the TCH in many places. Break the law or be considerate?? Driver's choice!
D
Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #25

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz
I try to be a courteous driver, cut the other fellow a break, and be aware of the traffic around me. I am seldom in a hurry. Sometimes I like to just poke along and enjoy the ride. In that case I am more than happy to get out of the way. Even going the speed limit, if there is a passing lane I will pull over and slow, to let folks pass. Here's what I don't understand. If I am doing the posted speed limit, why is there a need to pass ? Do California and Colorado suspend the speed limit laws because there are five or more people behind me? Perhaps if we all weren't in such a hurry, more of us might make it to the next sunrise. Just a thought. I will try not to get in the way. Promise Raz
Depends on where you are in the country. Around here (Maryland/DC area) it is expected for traffic to be moving at 10-15 MPH above the speed limit. You will not get a speeding ticket for doing so, unless it is a construction zone. People are always in a big hurry around here, and seem to be among the least considerate drivers in the country. Go less than 100 miles to PA and suddenly people drive in a much more relaxed and more considerate style.