Old 05-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #15

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
my one pet peeve-----highways with the occasional exit on the LEFT. when drivers are unfamiliar with a road, plus pulling a trailer, this can be a killer. having to cut across multiple lanes is very dangerous.

You just hit a hot button issue with me. There used to be more but thankfully we're down to just 1 interchange in San Diego with 2 parts:
  • Westbound State Route 94 ramp to Southbound State Route 15
  • Eastbound State Route 94 ramp to Northbound State Route 15 connecting to Northbound Interstate 805

I will pull over on 2 lane highways (one lane in each direction) if there is a paved "turnout" lane provided. I don't pull over to an unpaved shoulder because there is usually a 4" to 6" drop off of the pavement in addition to a slope away from the road for drainage that can make me loose control of my rig.

The "move over or slow down" law was just enacted here in California.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #16

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
its normal for me to move over so folks can see when its safe to pass. but i don;t stop

Old 05-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #17

Name: kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot 13'
Utah
There were 4 of us traveling through Canada/Alaska; all eggs. We were traveling with CB radios, when my brother in law was in the lead, and I suggested he pull over, he would say, he felt the last egg in our party should mover over first, and then the others should follow when, they could! I felt he being in the front with the information, about cars being backed up, he could start the mover over. We would move over, when a few cars got behind us. We also spaced out where cars could pass us one at a time easily. Traveling in a pack who should move over first, or does it matter, if it is done when needed?

Later Kenny
Old 05-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
There were 4 of us traveling through Canada/ We also spaced out where cars could pass us one at a time easily.

Traveling in a pack who should move over first, or does it matter, if it is done when needed?

Later Kenny

In my opinion the person in back should pull over. Because the person leading can't see what's behind all his/her fellow travelers. The person holding up the "back of the pack" know's how many cars are behind them.

Many times I end up getting behind someone who is holding up traffic but because I am towing my passing opportunity's are limited as far as getting around them, I will pull off to the side just to let the car's built up behind me, get around the slow poke. Then when they are clear, I will take my opportunity to do the same.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Here in BC most of the pull outs (with signs telling you to pull over if holding up traffic) are on hills.

I agree when traveling in a pack that party at the back should be the first to pull over. I think its probable a lot safer on a two lane road to pass one trailer at a time than a pack of them. Even when traveling on my own and stuck behind someone going slow and there is a line of cars behind me I will pull over to let at least a few of the folks behind me pass if for no other reasons than to let them see its not me holding them all up & folks behind can all stop tail gating me.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Even when traveling on my own and stuck behind someone going slow and there is a line of cars behind me I will pull over to let at least a few of the folks behind me pass if for no other reasons than to let them see its not me holding them all up & folks behind can all stop tail gating me.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Nice to see so many consider road courtesy important.... unlike tailgaters.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #22
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I try to be a courteous driver, cut the other fellow a break, and be aware of the traffic around me. I am seldom in a hurry. Sometimes I like to just poke along and enjoy the ride. In that case I am more than happy to get out of the way. Even going the speed limit, if there is a passing lane I will pull over and slow, to let folks pass. Here's what I don't understand. If I am doing the posted speed limit, why is there a need to pass ? Do California and Colorado suspend the speed limit laws because there are five or more people behind me? Perhaps if we all weren't in such a hurry, more of us might make it to the next sunrise. Just a thought. I will try not to get in the way. Promise Raz
Old 05-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #23

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We try to drive in ways that provide the least aggravation to other road users. We are generally going less than highway speed and will ease to the right when safe - occasionally we have signaled and gently applied the brakes and pull further off the road.

My pet peeve is an entire caravan of huge trailers travelling SLOWLY together. We can't see past to overtake, they apparently NEVER look in their rearview mirrors and pull over a bit. If we manage to safely overtake one there are maybe ten more ahead and now we're caught between two big rigs!
Old 05-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Newfoundland & Labrador
Most of our highway system on the island is 2-lane blacktop and a lot of our secondary roads are in very bad shape. The TCH has many third lanes and I know the road so if a thrid lane is close I will hold my ground. If not, I will pull over when it is safe to do so but quite often there is not a lot of room. If I have to pull over and stop I will usually wait for the downhill or a long straight stretch where I can see to pull out safely and not impede more traffic. However, on my last 4 hour TCH drive from Gander to Pasadena I only saw about 100 vehicles, east and west bound combined.
I guess the best thing to do is make the move when necessary and when it is safe for all concerned.
Westbound on the mainland we do not pick up the divided highway until New Glasgow, NS. A "Do not drive on paved shoulder" sign is a common sight on the TCH in many places. Break the law or be considerate?? Driver's choice!
D
Old 05-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #25

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz
I try to be a courteous driver, cut the other fellow a break, and be aware of the traffic around me. I am seldom in a hurry. Sometimes I like to just poke along and enjoy the ride. In that case I am more than happy to get out of the way. Even going the speed limit, if there is a passing lane I will pull over and slow, to let folks pass. Here's what I don't understand. If I am doing the posted speed limit, why is there a need to pass ? Do California and Colorado suspend the speed limit laws because there are five or more people behind me? Perhaps if we all weren't in such a hurry, more of us might make it to the next sunrise. Just a thought. I will try not to get in the way. Promise Raz
Depends on where you are in the country. Around here (Maryland/DC area) it is expected for traffic to be moving at 10-15 MPH above the speed limit. You will not get a speeding ticket for doing so, unless it is a construction zone. People are always in a big hurry around here, and seem to be among the least considerate drivers in the country. Go less than 100 miles to PA and suddenly people drive in a much more relaxed and more considerate style.